+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: What a US Open...     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Re: What a US Open...

Quote Originally Posted by Plow
    It's hard to imagine something being harder than winning on the longest course ever while being forced into 5+ rounds with minimal practice or conditioning beforehand with a torn ACL.
    Well, to be accurate, it wasn't the ACL that was causing him pain, it was the two stress fractures.

The ACL might cause pivoting problems in his left knee however on his swing. I wonder if the torn ACL is what led to the stress fractures. The ACL is needed to stabilize your leg when pivoting.

When I tore my ACL I could walk straight with no problems, but when I would turn corners my knee would buckle. Some people actually opt to not get it fixed, and in the long run it will wear down their meniscus and they'll have pretty bad knee problems later in life.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Norelco
    Quote Originally Posted by Plow
    It's hard to imagine something being harder than winning on the longest course ever while being forced into 5+ rounds with minimal practice or conditioning beforehand with a torn ACL.
    Well, to be accurate, it wasn't the ACL that was causing him pain, it was the two stress fractures.

The ACL might cause pivoting problems in his left knee however on his swing. I wonder if the torn ACL is what led to the stress fractures. The ACL is needed to stabilize your leg when pivoting.

When I tore my ACL I could walk straight with no problems, but when I would turn corners my knee would buckle. Some people actually opt to not get it fixed, and in the long run it will wear down their meniscus and they'll have pretty bad knee problems later in life.
    Okay, your knee would only buckle while turning a corner. Now, imagine swinging a club at around 134 MPH and the torque it puts on the same knee. I'm pretty sure it would hurt a bit more than turning a corner.

I think it was a combination of both the stress fractures and ACL. He was still only playing at around 50-60%. This story of his win will be remembered for a long time, but I still think Arnold Palmer's winning the US Open I believe in 1950-51 is best. He had a car crash that nearly killed him in 1949, and he came back 16 months later to win the US Open.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

He was playing with a torn ACL for 11 months and won 8+ tournaments, including 7 in a row, with it. It couldn't have been that detrimental or painful (not alone anyways), unless it got messed up during that last surgery he had.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Kurp
    He was playing with a torn ACL for 11 months and won 8+ tournaments, including 7 in a row, with it. It couldn't have been that detrimental or painful (not alone anyways), unless it got messed up during that last surgery he had.
    He runs a bunch during his his time off when he's not playing golf to just stay and shape and such. Think it was mentioned he reaggravated it a couple weeks after or before the Memorial.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5