Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Possible Caution with Noscript?

Just saw something with their newest update.

"By popular request, new Temporarily allow all this page command, putting all the visible sites of the current page in the temporary whitelist, except those already marked as untrusted."

Doesn't this defeat purpose of No script? Now we can't browse websites such BG and other websites the way I read this without fear that some sort of iFrame coming up and it not being auto allowed since BG is allowed.

If someone feels it doesn't belong here then move it accordingly. Or if I misinterpreted their update the same however I feel that a lot of "advanced" players account information may be compromised with this update from my understanding.

'

Re: Possible Caution with Noscript?

It didn't replace the old "Temporarily allow" options, it's just a new additional option.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Yeah, the fact that it states that it's a "command" pretty much shows that it's optional. If you feel that it's risky and don't want to use it, don't.

Was it under appearance then Contextual Menu? Because I noticed that Allow scripts Globally (Dangerous) was automatically checked in the update. And I had to manually go and uncheck it just wondering if this is it and if it was is there anything else I have to uncheck?

Nevermind it seems to be the one that says. Temporarily Allow all this page still was auto checked though under appearances. Just a few below the one i talked about above. I'm assuming the two I talked about before should be unchecked and it should solve the problem. Not 100% sure though. Just make sure that you guys auto check these I suppose. And always manually check Forbid Iframes ;3

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Yeah... I just got this yesterday and the option you are talking about relates to what selection choices you get when clicking the 'Options' menu for a page that has Forbidden scripts.

By having the 'Allow scripts Globally (dangerous)' checked on Appearances -> Contextual Menu, you are just saying that you want to have the option to select / deselect this command from your NoScript pop-up window, or whatever it is. It doesn't mean that you are automatically allowing scripts globally... just that you have the choice to toggle between doing so or not more conveniently available to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vedder
    Yeah... I just got this yesterday and the option you are talking about relates to what selection choices you get when clicking the 'Options' menu for a page that has Forbidden scripts.

By having the 'Allow scripts Globally (dangerous)' checked on Appearances -> Contextual Menu, you are just saying that you want to have the option to select / deselect this command from your NoScript pop-up window, or whatever it is. It doesn't mean that you are automatically allowing scripts globally... just that you have the choice to toggle between doing so or not more conveniently available to you.
    ah now I see it's nothing near as bad as I thought it would be sorry < <

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I have a question, ive been using noscript for a while, and just assumed it worked this way but maybe im wrong...

If a website has a 3rd party Iframe in it, and I always allow scripts of that website, it should still block the 3rd party iframe yes? Just making sure.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ysera

Quote Originally Posted by sleekmotorwurkz
    I have a question, ive been using noscript for a while, and just assumed it worked this way but maybe im wrong...

If a website has a 3rd party Iframe in it, and I always allow scripts of that website, it should still block the 3rd party iframe yes? Just making sure.
    Yes, unless it's the website itself that holds the virus - i.e. the virus would actually have to come from for instance somepage.com, rather than an IFRAME from playonl1ne.com on somepage's website.

You have to disallow Iframes to start with, though, of course.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Lexa
    Well, shit. I kinda thought that was the default setting. I see it in the options now though... Guess its time to change my pw again.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

This information is wrong, you don't have to check "forbid iframe" to disallow scripts in iframes. I've tested it, it still blocks the scripts and just loads the html which will not harm you.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ysera

Quote Originally Posted by Scragg
    This information is wrong, you don't have to check "forbid iframe" to disallow scripts in iframes. I've tested it, it still blocks the scripts and just loads the html which will not harm you.
    Could be, I'm not internet expert, I was just told to do it, and I figure better safe than sorry, so why not disallow the whole kit'n kaboodle?

Quote Originally Posted by theo
    Well, shit. I kinda thought that was the default setting. I see it in the options now though... Guess its time to change my pw again.
    Change it with the interface keyboard scan your pc for viruses etc.

Interface keyboard best bet for safety atm since it'll take a few months before they make one for it most likely