Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Faithe

FFXI addiction, good on the wallet?

I want some opinion and stories.

My friend and I got in an arguement. Okay, not really, we were just hanging out and starting talking about this.

Now I know everyone is different but during "tough" times like this can FFXI be a cheap entertainment that saves you some cash?

I'm not poor, my family is very well off. I'm sorry for those people who are poor even though I laugh at you on the street. My friends arn't poor either.

But as an addict, I play nothing but Final Fantasy. I haven't touched another game when I started playing Final Fantasy. I do have two mules. I have decent social skills and I don't go out much unless my friends calls me and bugs me. No movies, no rental(Fuck rentals when you can watch it online for free >_>), and no other games.

So monthly, I have my bill which runs 50 bucks, stupid Verizon. Final Fantasy cost me 15 bucks? Who knows, I never look at my credit card bill. That's about it.

So I got to talking with this friend of mine who quit from Final Fantasy. His like telling me how good it is after he quit. He has more time now and doing more stuff. Which is cool. But since I'm an addict, of course I will be a little defensive. Oh and I'm not a super addict, I still go to work, perfect attendant, get my shit done, try to stay on the diet I am on now. But when I got home from work, it is Final Fantasy time. Anyways, so he started telling me all this shit he has been doing. Going to theme parks, bars, pubs, night clubs, and I know he's trying to hook me up and get me to go with him. So I asked him how much his spending now and to my surprise, his wasting 500 big ones a month or more on entertainment alone. I told him his stupid and should just go back to Final Fantasy or any other online game.

So am I right or is it just the addict talking? Is saving money with Final Fantasy really a good excuse?

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Faithe View Post
    I want some opinion and stories.

My friend and I got in an arguement. Okay, not really, we were just hanging out and starting talking about this.

Now I know everyone is different but during "tough" times like this can FFXI be a cheap entertainment that saves you some cash?

I'm not poor, my family is very well off. I'm sorry for those people who are poor even though I laugh at you on the street. My friends arn't poor either.

But as an addict, I play nothing but Final Fantasy. I haven't touched another game when I started playing Final Fantasy. I do have two mules. I have decent social skills and I don't go out much unless my friends calls me and bugs me. No movies, no rental(Fuck rentals when you can watch it online for free >_>), and no other games.

So monthly, I have my bill which runs 50 bucks, stupid Verizon. Final Fantasy cost me 15 bucks? Who knows, I never look at my credit card bill. That's about it.

So I got to talking with this friend of mine who quit from Final Fantasy. His like telling me how good it is after he quit. He has more time now and doing more stuff. Which is cool. But since I'm an addict, of course I will be a little defensive. Oh and I'm not a super addict, I still go to work, perfect attendant, get my shit done, try to stay on the diet I am on now. But when I got home from work, it is Final Fantasy time. Anyways, so he started telling me all this shit he has been doing. Going to theme parks, bars, pubs, night clubs, and I know he's trying to hook me up and get me to go with him. So I asked him how much his spending now and to my surprise, his wasting 500 big ones a month or more on entertainment alone. I told him his stupid and should just go back to Final Fantasy or any other online game.

So am I right or is it just the addict talking? Is saving money with Final Fantasy really a good excuse?
    We all have a Video Game addiction/hobby. Look on the bright side, you could be addicted to alot worse things.

I would also suggest going out more too. Just realize that unless you find a girl/guy that also has a Video Game addiction, you will have to deal with constant nagging when you do hook up with someone and a long term basis

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well, you are right... playing FFXI heavily is easier on the wallet than being equally a part of your city's nightlife. Obviously there may be social consequences of this if you are a super-recluse, but other than that, everyone lives their lives differently, so saying you're right or he's right is opinion vs opinion (which, if you have learned anything from forums, is never going to come to an agreement). You say money isn't an issue for you or your friends, so indulging with them (I don't mean bars and get plastered, I hate bars myself) every so often might give you a needed taste of both worlds so you know your feet are still on the ground (not completely succumbing to your addictiveness).

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Even though it may be cheaper on the wallet. In my opinion (like your friend said) theres better things out there you could be doing for a few more bucks. It doesen't have to be a nightclub or themepark/whatever.

It could be just going out with friends, going over to some chicks place to chill and watch a movie. Buy some other pc/console games to play with your friends, etc.

But to each his own, if thats what you like to do for full entertainment. Let it be.

edit: Just don't end up like this guy.
    http://imgshack.info/images/jjarv4cihna5t1whmjq.jpg

Faithe

ops I failed to mention that was my internet bill. I'm at work doing three things at once XD

$50 Internet
    $15 Final Fantasy

Haven't upgrade my computer for 5 years and don't need to.

$600 Rent, have roommate.
    $500 food?
    $200 Utility

That's about it. I say I spend about $1000 on other stuff like cloth a year.

Faithe

Quote Originally Posted by Epical View Post
    Well, you are right... playing FFXI heavily is easier on the wallet than being equally a part of your city's nightlife. Obviously there may be social consequences of this if you are a super-recluse, but other than that, everyone lives their lives differently, so saying you're right or he's right is opinion vs opinion (which, if you have learned anything from forums, is never going to come to an agreement). You say money isn't an issue for you or your friends, so indulging with them (I don't mean bars and get plastered, I hate bars myself) every so often might give you a needed taste of both worlds so you know your feet are still on the ground (not completely succumbing to your addictiveness).
    Yeah I guess, sounds like my addiction talking. I got no problem wasting more money but putting a big chunk of my pay check each month in the bank for a rainy day feels good.

edit: Just don't end up like this guy.
    I'll try not to grow a penis.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Depending on your eating habits, weight, etc. $500.00 USD a month for food is a little ridiculous lol. Between me and my fiancee we only spend $200-300 dollars a month on a semi vegetarian load >.>.

I agree with the person who said people spend their money on different things.

Who cares if your friend spends 500$ a month on entertainment. Is he having trouble paying the bills? If no, more power to him.

Also, if you think about it, the general whole of society in America would probably consider hanging out "in real life" more productive than hanging out in a video game.

Also, the stories and life experiences you get from going out are simply better than the ones you get from a game.

"Hey guys, remember that time we drove through the quad of that school while Lee was sitting on the window with a viking helmet on, and we drove next to that girl and he actually picked her up as we drove by her????" (That really did happen to a friend of mine) vs *readies best nerd voice* "Hey guys, remember that time we got that claim on Nidhogg but those n00bs almost wiped us but we still managed to get the phat loot?!?!"

Edit: Not saying that first story should be your idea of fun. I am just trying to state that it's a story that, agree with it or not, most people can hear and understand and have an opinion, vs the second one where only a small group of people are going to get it.

Black Belt
    BG Level

an addiction to an MMO is about the cheapest form of entertainment around, short of obsessive drawing/reading secondhand books, or like, boardgames/cardgames (not poker). but you can also go out for pretty cheap too; if you're watching your cash don't be the kind of tool who blows all his disposable income on drinking. And you don't need to go out 5 nights a week either. Find places with cheap drinks/pregame, see about carpooling for trips. throw house parties.

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

I use FFXi as my form of Entertainment and love it! My fiance' doesn't mind it as long as we do stuff every once in a while (She is a homebody as well). She doesn't mind me playing at all. I do remember to pay attention to her as well at the same time. I will admit I have an addiction to FFXI, but it's better then me going out with my co-workers every other night to the pub and spend 50$ a night on drinks and everything >_>

All in all, different for everyone. I love my addiction though

Only thing I hate now is trying to finnish up CoP(FFFFFFFUUUUUCCCCCCKK) but I digress, it's your choice, just make sure you have fun doing what you are doing

Faithe

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroko View Post
    Depending on your eating habits, weight, etc. $500.00 USD a month for food is a little ridiculous lol. Between me and my fiancee we only spend $200-300 dollars a month on a semi vegetarian load >.>.
    Oh. I eat out everyday, fuck cooking at home, waste of time. My stove is a closet. I don't like fast food either so whatever.

Faithe

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    I agree with the person who said people spend their money on different things.

Who cares if your friend spends 500$ a month on entertainment. Is he having trouble paying the bills? If no, more power to him.

Also, if you think about it, the general whole of society in America would probably consider hanging out "in real life" more productive than hanging out in a video game.

Also, the stories and life experiences you get from going out are simply better than the ones you get from a game.

"Hey guys, remember that time we drove through the quad of that school while Lee was sitting on the window with a viking helmet on, and we drove next to that girl and he actually picked her up as we drove by her????" (That really did happen to a friend of mine) vs *readies best nerd voice* "Hey guys, remember that time we got that claim on Nidhogg but those n00bs almost wiped us but we still managed to get the phat loot?!?!"

Edit: Not saying that first story should be your idea of fun. I am just trying to state that it's a story that, agree with it or not, most people can hear and understand and have an opinion, vs the second one where only a small group of people are going to get it.

You do have a point. But then again, what is anti-social? I'm home talking to 20 people at the same time instead being next to them and smelling their odor is anti-social?

I think the live interaction with someone you can see and touch would be what constitutes social. Honestly though, I don't really see how being anti-social is that bad. I quit FFXI out of boredom and definitely spend more money now, and I have about as much fun as I did back when I was really into FFXI. The only reason I don't play MMO's now is I had nothing left to do in FFXI and then my computer broke when I was playing WAR. Plenty of friends now but I don't really see the big deal in going out and stuff.

I do have two mules.
    http://i33.tinypic.com/s30j2o.jpg
    "we concur"

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

It saves you money because you won't have to buy other games, which are $60 bucks (PS3). However, it can also be detrimental to one's social life. One of my friends, he'd buy a shit ton of games, and ever since I got him hooked to FFXI (since the PS2 release), he's never bought another game, ever. Alas, his "real" social life is pretty fucked up. We'd go out and do shit before, but it's been like 2 years since I noticed he'd rather camp for shit than go out. Needless to say, I haven't spoken w/ him for about a year...

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I definitely started playing the game to save money. Night outs for me can cost upwards, and sometimes above $100, which for a student, is money needed for books and such. I spend much less than that and get to use it for an entire month instead of just a night.. but those night outs still come around and I never regret going to them because, as Daydreamer points out, there are memories to be made irl.

I also found that the game really helps people to avoid issues that they would have had to deal with sooner; it's a great distraction, but hurts you in the end. Either way, if you can learn to find a balance, if you can learn to enjoy your online friends while giving your irl ones the time of day, there is nothing wrong with playing this game. There are a lot worse things to be addicted to, but, that being said, being addicted to anything isn't healthy.

In short, it saves you money but, if you're not responsible about it, at what price?

Banned.

BG Level

Good on wallet, bad for videogame industry.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

You do have a point. But then again, what is anti-social? I'm home talking to 20 people at the same time instead being next to them and smelling their odor is anti-social?
    According to my calculations, anything that probably won't help you get laid is considered antisocial around here.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I have saved a lot of money over the years playing XI but one thing you lose is your social life. It is extremely hard to balance Vanadiel life and your real life. I wont say its impossible but what was once 5hrs of playing XI on weekends is now 8-16hrs. You soon find yourself playing 24hrs a day and even when you wake up the first thing you do is turn on XI.

Now that isn't the story with everyone but some people get addicted to this game while others can put it down. I was someone who got addicted to this game and your world starts to fall apart and when you start to notice this happening you need to force yourself to quit. Reading what you said makes me think you maybe addicted and you may want to take a small break and explore the world. The real world isn't as beautiful as vanadiel but if you take the time you may just enjoy yourself.

Banned.

BG Level

You soon find yourself playing 24hrs a day and even when you wake up the first thing you do is turn on XI.
    If you are playing 24 hours a day, you don't have time to wake up from anything.