+ Reply to Thread

PC Freezing, Driver Issue?

I don't remember my PC doing this when I first got it home, which was only a few months ago. Sometimes it just freezes up, and goes to a yellow screen. Sometimes it freezes and doesn't go yellow, but changes to something that looks like an overlay issue. I've also had it go to a black screen with some messages about a "device driver stuck in an infinite loop" or something about a crash dump. I didn't get many search results about those here and google was just a mess. I don't have many programs on it yet, and I haven't made any big changes to the system. I've also look at some drivers to try and update them through the device manager. Here's my specs.

E8500, ATI Radeon 4870, MSI P7N SLI Mobo, Hitachi 7200 RPM 500 GB HD, OCZ 4x 2GB DDR2 PC8500, Vista Home Premium 64 bit

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Try updating the drivers from the ATI and MSI sites:
    Drivers & Tools | GAME.AMD.COM
    MSI -- MICRO-STAR INT'L CO., LTD.

You probably have the most up to date graphic drivers but perhaps you will find some newer drivers for your motherboard.

Also you might want to try running your RAM at a lower speed by changing it in BIOS. Try PC5300 speeds aka 667MHz given the FSB speed of your CPU. It may already be running at a lower speed as I see the motherboard doesn't officially support PC8500. If this does help don't worry about performance loses, the difference will really be negligible.

I'd like to resound the previous poster, I had RAM that was clocked down automatically and it caused instability, contacted Corsair support and they told me what settings I should use, ran rock solid after that, had an uptime of 2 months and change on my last PC.

I still haven't fixed it. Here's something odd though. One of the crashes had a name that said the video hardware was at fault. I did a test and left FFXI on all day while I was at work. Ten hours later it was still on. When I try to actually play it usually crashes after about 2 hours. I haven't even touched the actual GPU or messed with any of its drivers/software. How this just suddenly starts to happen confuses the hell out of me.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Perhaps try reinstalling your USB drivers/playing with non-USB devices (e.g., an old PS/2 keyboard)?

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It sounds like a heat issue to me. Random crashes (as described in the OP) could easily be caused by excessive heat, and the Radeon 4870 is a very hot card.

If there's any chance it's a heat issue, try removing the cover from your computer and cracking a window for awhile (if it's cold outside, I don't know where you are).

It's literally freezing outside. I have 2 front intake fans, a big one on the top going out, one on the side going out, and one in the back going out. I've also set the fan speed to 75% on the card. The card temp stays at about 35-40c when I do that. I wouldn't think that the card would overheat from running just FFXI. I see the GPU activity and it never goes above 30.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Those temps sound fine to me, but it's a simple test to remove your case's side panel for a little while to check Just a suggestion.

Removing the side didn't work. I downloaded the newest CCC that was posted Nov 24th I think. I re-installed Vista yesterday as well. I still seem to crash. Must be the GPU.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Morbo666 View Post
    Removing the side didn't work. I downloaded the newest CCC that was posted Nov 24th I think. I re-installed Vista yesterday as well. I still seem to crash. Must be the GPU.
    You may want to consider upgrading the bios on your videocard, when I grabbed the latest version for my girlfriend's computer, there was significant improvement to her system's stability. There are other minor issues on it now, but those are unrelated to her video card.