+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Playing FFXI on PS3     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Champion of the House of Weave
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Playing FFXI on PS3

I tried searching, but couldn't find anything on it.

I recently got a PS3 (Model#CECHK01) and I read that it isn't compatible with PS2 software. I tried downloading the PS2 thing from the PSN Store but it still wouldn't read the discs.

Is there any way for me to play FFXI on my PS3 or did Sony fuck over its customers yet again like they did when they stopped support for the PS2 HDD?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

That model can't play PS2 games anyway, and you can't play FFXI on the PS3 even if you could.

The new PS3s can't play PS2 games, they don't have the emulation chip. No software you download can change that. You'd need an older model PS3 (or the chip)

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Like said above, only the older models of PS3 can play PS2 games. Plus, you wouldn't want to install FFXI on it, I have the old 60g version with FFXI installed and it sucks. It actually feels like it runs slower than on ps2.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by virusiidx View Post
    Like said above, only the older models of PS3 can play PS2 games. Plus, you wouldn't want to install FFXI on it, I have the old 60g version with FFXI installed and it sucks. It actually feels like it runs slower than on ps2.
    Fucking PS3 Limitations.... (loling so hard)

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

The solution is to buy an Xbox 360 and not a PS3, but it may be too late for that.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by virusiidx View Post
    I installed XI on my 60 gig for the lulz and noticed the same thing. Given, I hadn't actually tried playing XI on PS2 since sometime in the middle of 2004 when I took it over to friend's houses and shit but I didn't think it ran that awful.

Like mentioned above; you're better off playing it on 360, especially since it still looks like ass on PS3 since all it's doing is emulating the PS2 version.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

FFXI runs like total shit on my PS3. You're better of hooking your PS2 up if you have it. If not, buy a cheap ass PC and it'll run FFXI better than your PS3 and probley cost less.

Champion of the House of Weave
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    FFXI runs like total shit on my PS3. You're better of hooking your PS2 up if you have it. If not, buy a cheap ass PC and it'll run FFXI better than your PS3 and probley cost less.
    I still have my PS2 and it works fine (PC as well). I was mainly trying to get away from using dial-up since I can't get broadband to work on it due to not knowing wtf I'm doing and not knowing where the Network Adapter disk is.

I considered getting a 360 instead, but it seemed like the RRoD was fairly common which I didn't like. Plus Metal Gear and Little Big Planet look fun so I want to play those eventually.

Thanks for the replies, it sounds like I'll just use PS3 for normal games.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vega Castro
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

on a different note, how good does the 360 version look / run compared to a high end pc? Are the framerate still laggy around Whitegate MH and AH?

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

360 looks like the PC version set to 1024x1024 background render and lagging like a mofo around town.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

360 version doesn't look that good. I mean, I assume it's better than the PS2, but it's nowhere near comparable to a decent gaming PC.

I had taken some digital photos a while back to illustrate (not perfect, as there's some bloom from the TV brightness). DMC4 demo there for comparison/reference. http://www.theoretical-limit.com/scr...s/ffxi_360.jpg

Seems to me to be running at a lower res (TV is 1080P, and was "running" at that), with compressed textures or something.

It feels "slow" to run around at times too...like, slower than usual.

Hasn't impressed me at all...I mean, I suppose if you had a really crappy PC, or a laptop with Intel graphics or something the 360 is better.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I agree with playing on the PC, as I do, but I also have FFXI on the 360 as a backup. It's light-years beyond the PS2 version, largely because that looks like ass. The 360 version does, however, display at a crappy resolution, even on a high-definition TV. It also has tearing and lag issues.

Still light-years beyond the PS2 version, though.

Light-years.

How do people still play the PS2 version?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    Hasn't impressed me at all...I mean, I suppose if you had a really crappy PC, or a laptop with Intel graphics or something the 360 is better.
    Intel GMA 900(which is 3-4~ years old) and above runs the game quite well actually. Better than Xbox 360 version, in my opinion.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

FFXI + PC is obviously the correct answer. If your so content with needing it on your TV with a controller. Buy a wireless USB controller and hook up your pc to your sd/hd tv.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Mayareira View Post
    Intel GMA 900(which is 3-4~ years old) and above runs the game quite well actually. Better than Xbox 360 version, in my opinion.
    Perhaps, I've only used it on the GMA 3100 in my Macbook as far as integrated chips go. Seems reasonably on par.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm interested in where this thread is going. I need a new PC for FFXI. I'm pretty happy with the 360 port, there's weird lag here and there but everything looks sharp and animations are smooth. Where would be the sweet spot of affordability and processing power for a new PC? (Primarily for FFXI, all I do otherwise is surf/IM)

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Here are a couple threads that may give you some general PC building ideas:

http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/techn...nd-500ish.html

http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/techn...d-upgrade.html

http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/techn...-purchase.html

To get more specific, you should set a spending ceiling for yourself.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by tonystigma View Post
    I'm interested in where this thread is going. I need a new PC for FFXI. I'm pretty happy with the 360 port, there's weird lag here and there but everything looks sharp and animations are smooth. Where would be the sweet spot of affordability and processing power for a new PC? (Primarily for FFXI, all I do otherwise is surf/IM)
    I would say probably around the $650-850 range, partly dependent on whether you want to be legal with Windows or not (as that's about $100 right there), and what sort of video card you feel meets your needs.
    You can spend a little less, you can certainly spend more, just I've seen plenty of builds targeted to that general price range. Recent machines I've built were in the $850-950 range, but I used two HDDs in 'em for RAID1 (adding about $50 ea.), and neglected to send in rebates yet >_>;