BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Question Discussion     submit to reddit submit to twitter

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Yeah. as i said. expansion rank. not the original mission ranks. i even mentioned that in OP I made.
    Eg /sea all Lancecorporal or /sea all tau44
    EDIT:I double checked my question incase it was ambiguous and jeeze was it that hard to read the second sentence? And I'm not wording it like it's some magical wish that makes things come true. otherwise i'd ask SE "Are there any plans to make mandau drop from bubbly bernie?" It's simply worded that way in the 1/million chance that they actually thought about doing it already.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I think we've all seen too many interviews where 10 or 15 questions get answered with a "There are no plans for this" or "We can't give you any more hints about AV."

I just edited my post, adding 2 questions for a total of 3. They are not super-exciting questions, but I think they might actually get real answers.

I know it's a tough call for Bercus. If you ask about AV or about Mythic requirements, everyone says that you wasted the question because they don't answer it. If you ask about the 4-year-old ???s in Phomiuna that still do nothing, people say you wasted a question that could have been about AV and Mythics.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

so many people have been banned due to duping, while people have been botting for years and remain on top with no punishment. how come there hasnt been any changes made in this area? has 3rd pt tools become > SE devolpment team in this area? if so y not change the whole system
    Interesting enough, when Allahkhazam (lol...) and Jeux did an interview at fanfest they asked about botting, this was the result:

Allakhazam.com: This is kind of an old news question, but a lot of people still complain that there is heavy use of bots and cheating to get king claims. Can we expect to ever see any changes to the way they are spawned, frequency of spawns, anything like that to try to deter the botting and cheating that goes on?

How do you know these people use tools? On our side, all we really have to work with is the logs and so if there's a tool being used and nothing shows up in the log, then there's really no way we can confirm it, even if a person calls up a GM and says this person is using a tool, Fafnir just "popped purple", we have no way to confirm that on the log side. So... how do you really know they are using tools?

Follow-up: Some people believe that if the spawns were increased there might be less pressure on people to resort to illegal means to get these claims. Is that a philosophy that you agree with or do you think that it's just got to work itself out?

Not really sure... more people might just use tools to get more claims. The tools that show up in the log would be the worst kind of tool, flee tools, warp tools, but if it's something that doesn't show up in the log like claim bots, how do you really know that they're using these tools? Are you sure? How can you be sure? That's the problem.

(Translator comment) Of course it's just a suspicion, right? Of course if there are dozens of people and one person pulls it he's botting, right?

If it's something that people would incessantly raise, something that came to the forefront of discussion constantly then of course it would be a problem that we have to address. But the fact that we're working from the logs and it's something that doesn't show that if we were to take steps then it would be very difficult, we'd have to think of a different approach to solve non-log related bots. Matt's job is to gather all the voices and opinions and get them to us in an orderly fashion.
    SOURCE: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/wiki/Fan_...eveloper_Q%26A

Personaly I agree SE needs to get their shit together and fix the issue. To go after these "undetectable" bots, br better yet remove the reason for bots. would forced spawns really hurt the game? I mean if MNKs can get BB items from either HNMs or KSNM99 I don't think making kings forced pop will ruin anything.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Interesting enough, when Allahkhazam (lol...) and Jeux did an interview at fanfest they asked about botting, this was the result:

SOURCE: Allakhazam.com: Final Fantasy XI: Wiki: Fan Festival 2008 Developer Q&A

Personaly I agree SE needs to get their shit together and fix the issue. To go after these "undetectable" bots, br better yet remove the reason for bots. would forced spawns really hurt the game? I mean if MNKs can get BB items from either HNMs or KSNM99 I don't think making kings forced pop will ruin anything.
    I am baffled by your quotes for the word undetectable. (I have to admit I am out of the loop on lots of things.) Do you have a method to detect the bots? Would you please post your method to detect them so we can add that to the questions?

I am pretty certain it WILL be a question that would get asked once your detection method is publicly posted.

At the very least, I will send emails to STF on your method to help get it used.

By the way, there IS a forum on Alla which SE does read where you can post that method as well.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Botting isn't the problem. The problem is that massive rewards are given to people who can claim a split second faster than somebody else. That is insane. SE, can we please get a better system to let players fight the kings?

If you could somehow get rid of the bots without addressing the real problem, kings situation would not improve much at all.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Vodou View Post
    I am baffled by your quotes for the word undetectable. (I have to admit I am out of the loop on lots of things.) Do you have a method to detect the bots? Would you please post your method to detect them so we can add that to the questions?

I am pretty certain it WILL be a question that would get asked once your detection method is publicly posted.

At the very least, I will send emails to STF on your method to help get it used.

By the way, there IS a forum on Alla which SE does read where you can post that method as well.
    Well, after reading that ZULU LS think in Adv. discussion it does seem like that NASA bot is hard to detect on SE's side. However I'm just posting that interview since I'm kinda shocked at the stupid response SE gave.

As for how to stop it, it's simple. Make HNMs forced pop and then we can laugh in the face of anyone who actually bought a bot >.>

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Well, after reading that ZULU LS think in Adv. discussion it does seem like that NASA bot is hard to detect on SE's side. However I'm just posting that interview since I'm kinda shocked at the stupid response SE gave.

As for how to stop it, it's simple. Make HNMs forced pop and then we can laugh in the face of anyone who actually bought a bot >.>
    Better yet, make it a random pop off Darters like Despot.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Could you guys explain more about your ideas to make Kings and possibly other NMs forced pops? Iz there pictures mu-HA!

Are there any other ideas about AV and PW - Interview stuff?

Picture about obtaining Zilart:ToAU Relic difference?

I digged through many older Interviews already and will go back at what SE said in previous Interviews too a bit. Is there anything we could go on about that you found?

There won´t be many endgame questions this time. I already picked and worked on things that might actually be interesting and has not been asked.

Does anyone know, when we should have the next Version Update?
    (Estimate month is enough, shouldn´t it be around end of March, Beginning of April?)

New Odin
    BG Level

They're off the schedule so it's impossible to know for sure, but beginning of April sounds like a good guess.

Btw, you mentioned that the interview would be around the end of Feb. so is there a delay or are you on schedule still? Just curious.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I have no time right now to finish working on it. Could be anytime though.
    I already went through all questions, but I would like to get more ideas still. Something new that hasn´t been asked yet. None of that "Can we have xzy"-question types.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Saw/liked the "HNM difficulty" illustration I posted earlier?

Made a couple more

http://66.221.121.71/kerberoz/blmstaves.png

http://66.221.121.71/kerberoz/corguns.png

Old Merits
    BG Level

Anything with IP in it, is blocked for me .
    But you can maybe attach the picture?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Hello Bercus.

I intentionally stayed away from endgame on all 3 of my questions this time around. I hope you liked them.

I see that you are asking for some more non-endgame questions. If you are just looking for some interesting things to ask about, here are a few random ideas:

Why are there temporary key items that last forever? Examples include "Scroll of Treasure" and "Shaded Cruse". Will these key items be used in the future?

Will you allow two characters on the same account to be separated into two accounts?

The "Resist" job traits seem very weak for players. Even when fighting easy prey, they rarely seem to protect the player from status ailments. By strengthening these traits, it would help the jobs stand apart from each other. Have you ever considered an adjustment?

Is there any purpose to the colored icons next to the Job Abilities and Job Traits? Can you give a specific example of how this may be applied by a player to his advantage?

We know that there are problems with adjusting the interface to display additional player stats like Accuracy, Evasion, Magic Attack, etc. Is there any other way to display this information to the player, such as via a text command? /stats

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    Better yet, make it a random pop off Darters like Despot.
    Make it a forced spawn using an item dropped from Decorative Weapons. Bam, camp popularity restored.

New Merits
    BG Level

To Kerberoz (math geekiness inc): You should specify that those charts are on a logarithmic scale.

Re botting: SE might be correct that they can't do much to detect botting, but they have done nothing at all to eliminate the root cause of the problem, namely world spawn HNM with fixed spawn points and semi-fixed spawn times. Newer style HNM do act to aleviate this slightly with random spawn points and/or longer spawn windows but it still doesnt solve the problem with our old friends in the Aery/Dominion/Valley.

Many people are of the opinion that if you aren't "cheating" (I'll use the term loosely for the purpose of this discussion) you aren't trying hard enough to get an edge over the competition. This phylosophy is as old as competition itself, look at pro sports, politics, industry, among numeous other competitive human endeavors. People, in general, are going to do what it takes to get to the top and that isn't going to change any time soon. Sometimes that means resorting to less scrupulous methods...

So, if they can't directly find out who's botting and punish them, and we can't change 1000s of years or human nature, then the only logical course of action that remains is to fix the reason so many people resorted to botting in the first place, Zilart kings.

EDIT: TL;DR - If SE can't do anything to stop people from botting they should ask themselves what drove people to this and try to change that aspect of the game such that botting doesnt provide as big of an advantage.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by bercus View Post

Anything with IP in it, is blocked for me .
    But you can maybe attach the picture?
    errr... bleh, bg uploader doesn't seem to work

BLM AH staves vs relic vs mythic:
    http://www.manafont.org/blog/wp-cont.../blmstaves.png
    COR AH guns vs mythic vs non-existant relic:
    http://www.manafont.org/blog/wp-cont...ts/corguns.png
    HNM difficulty:
    http://www.manafont.org/blog/wp-cont...difficulty.jpg

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Sady View Post
    To Kerberoz (math geekiness inc): You should specify that those charts are on a logarithmic scale.

Re botting: SE might be correct that they can't do much to detect botting, but they have done nothing at all to eliminate the root cause of the problem, namely world spawn HNM with fixed spawn points and semi-fixed spawn times. Newer style HNM do act to aleviate this slightly with random spawn points and/or longer spawn windows but it still doesnt solve the problem with our old friends in the Aery/Dominion/Valley.

Many people are of the opinion that if you aren't "cheating" (I'll use the term loosely for the purpose of this discussion) you aren't trying hard enough to get an edge over the competition. This phylosophy is as old as competition itself, look at pro sports, politics, industry, among numeous other competitive human endeavors. People, in general, are going to do what it takes to get to the top and that isn't going to change any time soon. Sometimes that means resorting to less scrupulous methods...

So, if they can't directly find out who's botting and punish them, and we can't change 1000s of years or human nature, then the only logical course of action that remains is to fix the reason so many people resorted to botting in the first place, Zilart kings.

EDIT: TL;DR - If SE can't do anything to stop people from botting they should ask themselves what drove people to this and try to change that aspect of the game such that botting doesnt provide as big of an advantage.
    Posts like this make me roll my eyes.

They have done LOTS to solve this problem and yet you say they have done NOTHING at all. They have hammered RMTs, added BB items to BCNMs, reduced the value of ridill, added more refresh bodies to the game.

These questions have been asked again and again. We've asked to have this moved and we've asked to have drop rates increased or forced spawns added. SE knows this is a problem and knows about these options.

Asking the same question borders on being a nag at best and obnoxious at the worst.

New Merits
    BG Level

I do agree, they have made many great changes to help aleviate the problem with kings, but they have in my opinion done very litle to solve it.

I can't say for certain because I haven't camped kings in years (for hopefully obvious reasons), but I think it's a pretty safe assumption that fafhogg is still being claimed by botters on a daily basis across most/all servers. The recent thread thread about the NASA bot is a great example of how, even to this day, people are willing to "do what it takes" to get whatever advantage they can.

Just because SE has made it easier to ignore the problem doesn't mean they fixed it!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by bercus View Post
    Could you guys explain more about your ideas to make Kings and possibly other NMs forced pops? Iz there pictures mu-HA!

Are there any other ideas about AV and PW - Interview stuff?

Picture about obtaining Zilart:ToAU Relic difference?

I digged through many older Interviews already and will go back at what SE said in previous Interviews too a bit. Is there anything we could go on about that you found?

There won´t be many endgame questions this time. I already picked and worked on things that might actually be interesting and has not been asked.

Does anyone know, when we should have the next Version Update?
    (Estimate month is enough, shouldn´t it be around end of March, Beginning of April?)
    Check your PMs

If you stopped to actually learn something you might not post these uninformed posts.
    BG Level

code the NM claim packets with a key. IPv6 secure has a good method. No 3rd party can replicate these "random keys", if they try to use incorrect keys then its easy to ban them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast