+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Any info on adopting a pet from a shelter?

I was wondering if any of you had any really good information regarding adopting from shelters, particularly concerning dogs/puppies. I am looking into getting a puppy soon and I want to get it from a shelter and not a breeder. Are there are any certain things that I should look for in the shelter that I choose to adopt from? To get you going, I shall post a picture of a cute puppy.

http://www.diypuppytraining.com/puppy.jpg

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Look into shelter policies. Many of them, at least around here, won't adopt out if you have a pet or don't have one. For example, if you have a social dog that enjoys being around other animals, they may only adopt out if you have another dog. They actually have some rather strict regulations about work hours and where you keep them.

That said, the animals themselves are usually good. Every once in a while you'll get one that has some problems because they were previously abused, but you certainly can't say they all are like that.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

It was never that difficult for me. Went in, paid, filled out some paperwork, took the pet to the vet later. As long as you can afford to pay for regular pet visits and are sure you can take care of the animal after the fact, go for it.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

When we got ours, she was just a puppy. In the paperwork (there's a small adoption fee, maybe 150 ish for our puppy?), you have to sign that you won't breed the animal/etc. There's some dumb questions like "Have you eaten dog, and enjoyed it?" that I'm sure you'll get a kick out of, too.

To summarize a bit, it's a breeze. Just paperwork and fees.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

The shelters in my area seem quite a bit stricter than normal, then.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Oh, I probably missed out on the fact that if you already have a dog (or any other large animal), you have to bring it with you when you attempt to adopt another dog, just to make sure they'll get along and the basics. >_>

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Novalye View Post
    Oh, I probably missed out on the fact that if you already have a dog (or any other large animal), you have to bring it with you when you attempt to adopt another dog, just to make sure they'll get along and the basics. >_>
    i didnt when i got my dog fatty.

then again missisippi is pretty lax.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Lujei View Post
    The shelters in my area seem quite a bit stricter than normal, then.
    That's kind of a good thing, kind of a bad thing, I'd say. I wouldn't think shelters had the leeway to potentially alienate possible adopters with a bunch of runaround. It's sort of unfortunate, since most animals introduced to shelters are killed eventually.

Probably easier where I am because shelters are always packed.

roly poly
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Shop around and don't adopt the first one you see (as tempting as it is!). Annoy the volunteers/employees about policy and such-- usually they're pretty trained (depending where you go..) at advising on what type of dog would suit you, etc., and will work with you. Like said, usually an "application," just to make sure you're not crazy/intend to adopt an animal to harm/skin/eat/other it.

Most shelters will send you off with the first round of vaccinations for your puppy, and some will spay/neuter if they're old enough for a small fee/no charge. Pretty good considering the cost of the surgery at a vet's office. Even so, you still need to take your puppy in for that first exam, and every follow-up exam for boosters, heartworm preventative, general health exam, etc. Most puppies are born with at least one internal parasite, so that'll be fun to deal with (T. canis most common iirc?). Really, I couldn't stress the vet appointments enough.

Generally, I'd start with a larger shelter (like your local SPCA) and go from there (smaller shelters). Just remember, no matter where you go, the fee for adopting a puppy can be several times that of the adoption fee of adult.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Yah, adoption fees can be pricey. This week I went to the animal shelter to scout for some kitties that I'll be getting after I'm finished from work (I found a little kitty that followed me everywhere, so cute! I hope he's still there when I go back). The adoption fee was $190 for kittens, $150 for adult cats (also 350 for dogs, 400 for puppies) yeah yeah the price is damn high but it comes fully vaccinated/wormed/neutered and everything.

I adopted my cat from a rescue organization - didn't actually go to a shelter to do it, rang the local branch, talked on the phone about what I was looking for (older, indoor cat because I lived very near a main road) and had pretty much answered all her questions about where the animal would live etc - so she skipped the home visit they do generally over here. When I mentioned I was a "sucker for a hard luck story" she gave me the cat foster home address of a recent amputee furball to go see her and it was love at first sight.
    Think the adoption fee was something like £30 and I had to agree that if I ever got rid of hairball I would return her to the organization I got her from and not just randomly rehome her.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

Just to warn you when my Mum got a puppy from a shelter that had been really badly abused by the former owners, even though the dog was fine with my Mum it absolutely hated everyone that went near her. I'm pretty good with dogs and have been around them since I was born and that dog was the only one I've ever had any problems with. Sadly because he was so badly fucked up from the previous owners he would bite everyone and no matter what we tried he wouldn't change so after about a year we had to eventually return him to the shelter where they put him down. He was a lovely little dog but sometimes he would just totally flip out and go from being a cute little bugger to an evil bastard for no reason. Fuck knows what the first owners did to him but they should be shot for doing that to a a little puppy.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

You can also look on Craigslist or something for a rescue organization. Or rather, if you wind up looking someplace like that, half the time the dogs/cats listed are ones that people rescued and are looking to rehome. They tend to have some sort of check for you to pass as well.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Animal shelters/pounds are a good place to get dogs. I would highly recommend taking it to the vet asap after you adopt it to make sure it doesn't have any serious health problems. Most behavioral problems can be dealt with by using proper training techniques. I've had my dog for four years, and he's literally only barked indoors 4 times.

Where I live, an additional added benefit to a shelter animal is that they pay for you to have your dog spayed or neutered. Check it out.

(This is more about the after you adopt it bit)

My friend adopted 2 dogs (they were siblings) and 1 of them had been pretty badly abused, and it took my friend nearly a year of reabilitating it to be able to be near men (since it's previous owner was a guy :3)

Just make sure you get a full history if it's slightly older than a puppy, since they can have problems etc :3

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

A question for cat owners in here.

I saw a really nice adult cat, as well as a really nice kitten. Does anyone know how well an adult and a child cat would get along, especially as strangers? The adult cat that I saw was verrrrrrrrry timid and shy, but so beautiful with a white coat blue eyes (and not deaf omg!), the kitten was very playful, and I'm definitely interested in both, just worried that they might fight or something.

Are there any natural behavrioural / territorial things between adult/baby cats? Not a good idea?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Seems it just depends on where you go. In South Florida its a bit of paperwork and a small fee. Think it was 150 for my puppy a few years ago. It was potty trained/neutered/vaccinated. Can't really go wrong if you don't care about it being a pure breed.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Damn. I haven't adopted an animal for probably, 10 years, and back then I think it only cost me $35 bucks. Times is hard I guess.

As for cats, my Aunt, who has always had an assload of cats, always suggested to me to buy 2 at a time so they had a companion. As for an adult cat and a kitten, it might be kind of rough depending on whether or not their personalities met. Like was said earlier, I'd get the 2 cats together and see how they mesh. If they're at different shelters, buy the one you want most and take it for a visit to the other. Cats are weird animals, and its hard to say whether or not they will get along since their personalities can differ pretty big.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Make sure you check out more than one shelter. There are lots of shelters around, and in a city the size of Gainsville, I'm sure you could fine more than one easily. Make sure the place you're adopting from looks like it's a nice place too, otherwise you're just supporting a bad shelter.

I'm glad you're adopting instead of buying from a breeder. You're really helping an animal that needs it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik View Post
    A question for cat owners in here.

I saw a really nice adult cat, as well as a really nice kitten. Does anyone know how well an adult and a child cat would get along, especially as strangers? The adult cat that I saw was verrrrrrrrry timid and shy, but so beautiful with a white coat blue eyes (and not deaf omg!), the kitten was very playful, and I'm definitely interested in both, just worried that they might fight or something.

Are there any natural behavrioural / territorial things between adult/baby cats? Not a good idea?
    It's situational - two cats getting along is like two people getting along. But I would strongly advise a new pet owner to start with 1 animal first and see how that works out for you. Sometimes people think their cat needs a "companion" and they get another cat, which can be the worst thing to do for the animal - what the cat is actually seeking is YOUR attention.

Adopting a cat/dog can be a fantastic experience. I adopted a little kitty named Priscilla a year ago and she's a great cat; so sweet, cute, and fun. However, seeing as this was my first adoption (I'm only 24), I have some serious tips I think people really need to consider before the adopt, so they can keep the animal and give it the best home possible.

1) Do you have the money to pay for the costs of the animal?
    When you adopt an animal, you instantly gain something which is dependent on you for survival. When I got Priscilla, she had digestive problems and serious dental issues. I have spent over $1000 on her this year, and this is even including the help of a vet friend who gives me free cat food ($60+ for a 12lb bag) and has done some basic consultations with me for free. So be prepared. If you are bouncing from job to job, in school on a very strict budget, etc. you should probably wait to adopt an animal. I've wanted to adopt a cat for a long time after growing up with them, but I waited until I was done with college, had a good full-time job, and a nice place to live before I did so.

2) Do you have the time and commitment to care for the animal?
    Especially with dogs, you NEED to give them attention. For larger dogs especially, they need exercise in long spurts, so they should be walked at least once a day. Animals need to be played with and groomed, you should make sure you have time for this. If you don't "stimulate" the mind of your animal enough, especially dogs, they can get restless and destroy things. Having an animal also decreases your "spontaneity" factor. Want to go to Vegas for a weekend? Too bad, you don't have anyone to look after your dog/cat.

3) Are you prepared to be committed to the animal for life?
    This is really make or break for some people. Younger pets are "cute", there's no lie, but with them comes potty training and delinquent behavior. Yes, they will poop on your carpet and pee on your floor, and no, it won't smell nice. Be ready for this, and if you aren't prepared to do the first two things for your animal, it can turn into a disaster animal quickly; then you're the person with the dog nobody likes that jumps on people and throws up on their shoes. Like a child, you only get one chance to raise a new animal, so make sure you have the time/resources to do it right.

If you don't have the time/resources/patience to deal with raising new animals, there are MANY fantastic adult animals at shelters all across the US who are potty-trained and obedient looking for good homes. My cat was ~3 years old when I adopted her and minus a rare hairball every few months, she is extremely well-behaved.

I hope this information helped.... also if you can, adopt from a no-kill shelter, they are usually fantastic and take good care of their animals.