+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level

Aide: Obama Preparing to Close Gitmo First Week of Office

Quote Originally Posted by Time
    (WASHINGTON) — President-elect Barack Obama is preparing to issue an executive order his first week in office — and perhaps his first day — to close the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, according to two presidential transition team advisers.

It's unlikely the detention facility at the Navy base in Cuba will be closed anytime soon. In an interview last weekend, Obama said it would be "a challenge" to close it even within the first 100 days of his administration. (Read "Trying to Tie Obama's Hands on Gitmo".)

But the order, which one adviser said could be issued as early as Jan. 20, would start the process of deciding what to do with the estimated 250 al-Qaida and Taliban suspects and potential witnesses who are being held there. Most have not been charged with a crime.

The Guantanamo directive would be one of a series of executive orders Obama is planning to issue shortly after he takes office next Tuesday, according to the two advisers. Also expected is an executive order about certain interrogation methods, but details were not immediately available Monday.

The advisers spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the orders that have not yet been finalized.

Obama transition team spokeswoman Brooke Anderson declined comment Monday.

The two advisers said the executive order will direct the new administration to look at each of the cases of the Guantanamo detainees to see whether they can be released or if they should still be held — and if so, where.
    Many of the Guantanamo detainees are cleared for release, and others could be sent back to their native countries and held there. But many nations have resisted Bush administration efforts to repatriate the prisoners back home. Both Obama advisers said it's hoped that nations that had initially resisted taking detainees will be more willing to do so after dealing with the new administration.

What remains the thorniest issue for Obama, the advisers said, is what to do with the rest of the prisoners — including at least 15 so-called "high value detainees" considered among the most dangerous there.
    Fuck Yea!

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

also:
    Gay Bishop to Pray at Inaugural Event - TIME

The first openly gay Episcopal bishop will offer a prayer at the Lincoln Memorial at an inaugural event for President-elect Barack Obama.

The selection of New Hampshire Episcopal Bishop Gene Robinson for Sunday's event follows weeks of criticism from gay-rights groups over Obama's decision to have the Rev. Rick Warren give the invocation at his Jan. 20 inauguration.
    also:
    Robinson, 61, said both Obama and Vice President-elect Joe Biden will attend the event, and Obama is expected to speak. As for himself, Robinson said he doesn't yet know what he'll say, but he knows he won't use a Bible. "While that is a holy and sacred text to me, it is not for many Americans," Robinson said. "I will be careful not to be especially Christian in my prayer. This is a prayer for the whole nation."
    well, it's off to a good start so far!

Wonder what they've got up their sleeve (if anything) for the current active round in israeli-palestine territories

I remember reading somewhere that the public outcry over Israel's Gaza incursion can give Obama some 'room' that usually wouldn't be there.

I have no doubt he'd do more if he could. There's too many pressures involved, but with popular activism/etc., he could do something.

Although, I think the NY Times is taking a more pessimistic view and saying that Israel's actions are basically destroying the 2-State solution. As if the colonization/Occupation didn't do that already.

Obama will be different in that I can see him being more attentive to public opinion.

im so fucking happy i voted for him.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

How cold horrible, where will the terrorists get their free health care now?

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

Now I don't have to worry about going there.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Thanks Obama, I don't know how I ever felt safe with all of those terrorists locked up like that.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzimal View Post
    Thanks Obama, I don't know how I ever felt safe with all of those terrorists locked up like that.
    I've been looking at this post for 2 min now, and I'm going to risk a horrible woosh by asking if that was sarcasm/irony/whatever or actually serious?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I'm glad he's got his priorities in order.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by MrW View Post
    I'm glad he's got his priorities in order.
    Yes, because that's the only thing that he is going to be doing... After that he will take a 2 month holiday before he does something else.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Galaika View Post
    Yes, because that's the only thing that he is going to be doing... After that he will take a 2 month holiday before he does something else.
    Sounds like our current President.

I hear the terrorists will be sent to Oakland, Cali. Its a good place.

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

From Wikipedia:

Since October 7, 2001, when the current war in Afghanistan began, 775 detainees have been brought to Guantánamo. Of these, approximately 420 have been released without charge. As of May 2008, approximately 270 detainees remain.[8] More than a fifth are cleared for release but must nevertheless remain indefinitely because countries are reluctant to accept them.
    Three have been convicted of various charges:

Of those still incarcerated, U.S. officials said they intend to eventually put 60 to 80 on trial and free the rest.
    Yeah, screw releasing the 90% of people at Gitmo that we have no intention of charging with any kind of crime. Just let them rot there, filthy non-terrorists!

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

A good first step in finally undoing the state sponsorship of torture and unjust treatment of people, whether guilty or not, by this country.

I wonder if the naval base there will also be closed and the property turned over to the Cuban government.. ?

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

No reason to close the naval base there, not to mention it's "strategically" placed

The cubans are still, you know, communist, after all.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

So is China.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    So is China.
    Because you can't bully the chinese government into allowing you to build one there, as opposed to otherwise with the Cuban government. Our administration has no leverage on pretty much anything over the Chinese due to the fact that they finance a disproportionate amount of our debt (Trillions worth) and that our economy has a dependency on cheap foreign goods.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Guantanamo was built before the Castro regime took over. We had a similar relationship with China until their revolution after WWII. I'm sure we could have done the same thing there if we wanted to.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

I do think it's hilarious that we still have such an adversarial relationship with the Cuban government but a little piece of their island is ours to do whatever dirty work we like on.

It's like we've been in a state of dipping our balls on Castro's face for his entire term as president.

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Zosi View Post
    From Wikipedia:

Yeah, screw releasing the 90% of people at Gitmo that we have no intention of charging with any kind of crime. Just let them rot there, filthy non-terrorists!
    Am I being whooshed by sarcasm or did you seriously not even read your own quoted information?

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

massive huge amounts of whoosh by the way of sarcasm I suspect
    Unless I'm redefining woosh myself here!