Thread: Monitor Flickering     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Coke of Vanilla
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Maelstrom

Monitor Flickering

So my monitor started flickering into a blackscreen. It keeps doing the same thing as I try to turn the monitor off and on again. Is the monitor burnt out and I need to buy a new one? Bought it with PC back in 2005.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Do you have another monitor you can connect to your PC, or could you possibly borrow one from someone?

Coke of Vanilla
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Maelstrom

Sadly, I don't have another monitor around me thats mine or a friends, unless you count the widescreen TV with a PC port.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

That would do, actually, if your computer can output to it. If you don't have it pre-configured to, you should be able to turn the PC off, plug it into the television, then start it up, and it should auto-detect it. Unless it's an analog connection (e.g., VGA), then that probably won't work.

The main reason you want to do this is to potentially eliminate hardware issues. If it shows a display on the television and you can use it for a while without issue, then it definitely is the monitor, as you suspect. However, if your TV blinks to black too, then there is something wrong either hardware- or software-wise in the PC.

If you can recreate the problem on another display, first thing I'd try is reseating the video card.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

If this is a CRT monitor then your monitor is into its last moments.

Coke of Vanilla
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Maelstrom

Just tested PC on the TV. It works fine on it, so off to buy a new monitor. It was LCD instead of CRT.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Hmm, I've not known a LCD to flicker like that before, my CRT did flicker like that before dying, and when it did die I can smell burning, this was back in 1998~ though and I was a PC newbie then so I didn't think too much of it until it went pop and I smelt burning, so I switched everything off and recycled it.

BG is my LJ
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lovely Nirokun
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

mine is doing that now, and i have to hit it a few (sometimes more than a few) times with a hairbrush to make it come back lol

lettuce
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Mine sadly just went blank, and would flicker. Weird thing was that it was working, and I turned my monitor off and PC, cleaned out case, then turned PC back on and the monitor wouldn't work anymore