• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I need help finding a switch for throttling bandwidth

Hello guys,

First off, I would like to apologize for the low post count, by nature I am not talkative, it is reflected on the internet as well.

Anyway, I am currently in the military who is deployed to Iraq. Our group (our group will have 15 in total) is looking into getting Satellite Internet in our rooms, because waiting for slow internet here in the cafe is horrible. Not to mention the restrictions they have in plugging USB things. It makes turning in homework really hard. We have all the equipment and such, should be ready to go, but a small group of people within the group is concerned about the others hogging the bandwidth. I have been reading about QoS and such, but it just seems that that can only put priority on ports and not on applications (correct me if im wrong, I am only a software/programmer guy. I have limited networking skills). I was reading about third party firmware that is able to do this, but my fear is that I purchase a router that can not handle the firmware.

I am wondering if any of you guys can recommend a switch capable of capping bandwidth per port (or even for all port iat the same time). Or maybe even a router (if a 16 port one exists) that can manage it that way. I would even do the third party software if it is possible. One thing though, I really want to avoid wireless because the sands storms here will be brutal on the satellite link then on the wireless signal. I much prefer wired. I appreciate any help I get.

i should think just about any linksys wrt54g (possibly go with the L model as iirc, it has slightly better physical specs, don't quote me on it) and a switch should do what you want. slap tomato on it and you're good. most OSS firmwares will come w/ a compatibility list of all the models they work with.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

So I can just use tomatoe firmware on a compatible router and hook up a cheap switch and it should be good to go? My plan was doing this:

satellite---coax---Modem--rj-45--router--rj-45--switch--rj-45--(15 computer)

I plan on connecting nothing on the router, except the modem and one rj-45 for the switch. The router is only there to act as a DNS server, and connect all 15 computers onto the switch.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I use DD-WRT firmware on a Linksys WRT54G. The QoS has support for service, netmask, MAC address and ethernet port priority. It even has a bandwidth monitor on the current release. Might be something to look into.

DD-WRT :: News

Here's a quick screenshot of the QoS tab...

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...idx/ddwrt1.jpg
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...x/ddwrt2-1.jpg

tomato or ddwrt, take your pick, either should work fine. as for your setup, yeah. that's the layout, though you could hang some of your machines off the router just fine. it's just a switch on the inside when you get right down to it.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

First, I would like to thank you for the responses, you have actually saved me a lot of money in doing something stupid. Second, it was 2am my time, and I mistakenly called it DNS server isntead of DHCP server.

I was reading about tomatoe and it seemed easy enough. I looked up DD-WRT and I guess one thing I am confused about is while looking under the activation tab of the site, then registering for an account, it took me to an online store. It had different packages for DD-WRT, one in particular is the package that included per user bandwidth control: DD-WRT V24 Special für Broadcom basierende Geräte kaufen / buy

Doing a google search, it came up as it being a free linux-based firmware, but the license costs 20euro. Do you have experience with bandwidth control?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Hmmm, the one I have is the one you see above in the screenshot. I haven't really looked up the bandwidth control, besides QoS, so I can't really say much. However, I do kinda remember something about having to pay for the extra bandwidth control feature, I can't really recall. Maybe a little more research might help.