BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Marvel's The Runaways latest

assume there wont be a thread for this, despite it being a personal favorite

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Fun fact about Cinderella, Disney paid seven figures for the script for the live-action remake.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

A 3D film featuring the cast of TV's Glee has failed to make the US box office Top 10 after taking $5.7m (£3.5m) over the weekend.

Glee: The 3D Concert Movie was ranked 11th in the weekly chart after opening in more than 2,000 screens.

According to tracking site Box Office Mojo, only an estimated 500,000 tickets were sold for the movie.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes, last week's top film, retained pole position with takings of $27.5m (£16.9m).

Feel-good movie The Help and horror sequel Final Destination 5 rounded off this week's top three.

The former, in which Emma Stone plays a young woman investigating the lives of black housekeepers in 1960s Mississippi, took $25.5m (£15.6m) in its first weekend in cinemas.

The latter, in which Death hunts down the survivors of a bridge collapse, earned $18.4m (£11.2m) between Friday and Sunday.

Part-animated fantasy The Smurfs took fourth place, with Jesse Eisenberg comedy 30 Minutes or Less a new entry at five.

The film, in which a pizza delivery man with a bomb strapped to his chest is forced to rob a bank, took $13m (£7.9m) in its opening weekend.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14526654

Glee had a budget of $10 mil
    30min or less had a budget of $28 mil

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

The film stars Milla Jovovich as an elementary school teacher who’s suffering a rare case of facial amnesia following a brutal encounter with a serial killer. “She’s the only one who’s seen him, yet she can’t recognize anybody?” an exasperated police officer asks.

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Sam Worthington Updates on Avatar 2 and 3 and Clash 2

Despite placing himself in some shitty movies, Sam Worthington has made a pretty strong career for himself, if by doing nothing more than picking movies that make boatloads at the box office. The Australian native found himself starring in the highest grossing film of all time, Avatar back in 2009, and since he’s on far more publicity tours for other films than James Cameron, he’s the one constantly being asked about the film’s proposed sequels.

At a recent press outing for his upcoming film, The Debt, Worthington was asked where the Avatar sequels stand and Collider has the answer.
    Jim talked to me on my birthday. In regards to Avatar, he’s writing the bible, at the moment, which is a precursor to Avatar 1 and the whole world, basically. I think it’s just to get Jim’s mind back into the characters and back into the world. He’s told me where he wants to take Avatar 2 and 3, and it’s monumental. It’s just huge! But, you’d expect nothing less from him. He’s not going to start it until he’s 100%. I know they’re setting up shop down in Manhattan Beach, and when he says jump, I jump.
    Not surprisingly, Worthington is ready to jump back into the mocap gear and start working with the legendary director again. The bible will hopefully not take Cameron too long to finish, but we know from experience that for him to reach “100%” can sometimes take ten years.

Worthington’s other blockbuster smash from recent years was Clash of the Titans, for which director Louis Letterier must have traded his soul for box office profits. The film is getting sequelized in the form of Wrath of the Titans from director Jonathan Liebesman, whose most recent outing Battle Los Angeles didn’t fare too well. But Worthington has great things to say about the film and director-- not a surprise from an actor paid to say nice things about his movie, but still maybe reason to hope it'll be the Clash of the Titans film that we should have gotten in the first place.
    With Jim [Cameron], it comes down to Jim. Titans made a lot of money. A lot of people went and saw it. We’ve just got to make it right. I’ve just finished that. I loved it! I loved that experience. Clash 2 is so different. It was a different experience for me because I’d learned a lot from Clash 1, and I’d learned a lot from other movies. I can’t wait for that to come out. But, I’m not surprised at all.
    I love that Worthington is careful to only say the film made a lot of money, not that people loved it. Because guess what, no one did.

Expect Worthington to continue getting pestered about the Avatar sequels right up until the films finally see the light of day, which may not be for quite some time. But with Wrath of the Titans due out in March 2012 and production just wrapping up, expect a lot more marketing to start coming our way very, very soon.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

http://geektyrant.com/storage/post-i...herunaways.jpg

Earlier we reported that Drew Pearce had been tapped to write the feature adaptation of Marvel's Runaways. The project was to directed by Peter Sollet (Raising Victor Vargas, Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist) until it was pulled from the slate this fall. It looks as though Marvel wanted to focus all of their efforts on The Avengers.

The Playlist attended a interview with Noel Clarke, Stuart Hazeldine, Jeremy Drysdale and Pearce. Here is what Pearce had to say about why the film was put on hold:

“Basically, The Avengers came along and everything else at Marvel got put on hold for a year. But the script is there, we’re good go,” Pearce said. “It’s kind of like [being] at the airport when you’re waiting for your slot to take off with Marvel, and we’re hoping we get a slot next year. Fingers crossed. They’re very happy with it, so hopefully it happens.”
    Pearce also revealed The Runaways is just "awaiting a signal from Marvel to move ahead." The Runaways was created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona. The story follows "five L.A. teenagers who discover their parents are actually a group of supervillains, The Pride, who control the Californian criminal underworld. Discovering their own special abilities, they go on the run and work to bring down their parents."

We recently reported that Marvel had scheduled release dates for two untitled films for May 16, 2014 and June 27, 2014. I wonder if The Runaways could be one of those projects? With D23 on the horizon, we will likely have some confirmation.
    http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/8/15...ew-pearce.html
    http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...s_on_hold_hop/

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Starring: Robert Duvall, Lucas Black, Melissa Leo, Deborah Ann Woll, Brian Geraghty, Kathy Baker, KJ Choi, Joseph Lyle Taylor, Madison Burge

After a disastrous debut on the pro circuit, a young golfer finds himself unexpectedly stranded in Utopia, Texas and welcomed by an eccentric rancher.

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/ne...kien_26247.jpg

For decades, filmmakers have been plundering the written words of author J.R.R. Tolkien to create masterful, memorable fantasy worlds on screen. Finally, the table will turn a bit as a new movie aims to tell Tolkien’s story, rather than staging a story Tolkien wrote.

Steve Hillard’s book Mirkwood: A Novel About J.R.R. Tolkien, is being adapted into a feature-length film by EMO Films and producers Joel Eisenberg and Timothy Owens, The Hollywood Reporter writes. Amazon says that the work of fiction -- which initially was blocked by Tolkien’s estate but has since resolved its differences -- turns Tolkien into the hero of a story that takes place in our world and that of Middle Earth. It paints the author “as a man haunted by the very myths he rewove into his famous works” and “explores the blurred borderlands where ancient tales, lost heroines, and epic journeys are stalked by dim monsters that will not be still.”

The story, some of which takes place in New York City, also involves mystical documents, which Tolkien hides with a scissor sharpener named Jesse Grande. One the true nature of the documents is revealed, the story expands to place feet in both our world and the mythical world of a character named Ara.

Hmmmm. Can you think of a director who has dabbled in fantasy and also qualifies as an expert in all things Tolkien? OK, fine, just make the offer to Peter Jackson and we’ll patiently wait for him to finish The Hobbit so that he can tackle Mirkwood next.

I’m joking, of course, though it will be exciting to see which filmmaker EMO entrusts with this story, which sounds like it could cross into the intrusive plotting of Charlie Kaufman while also producing an exciting piece of fantasy adventure along the lines of a Jon Favreau or Alfonso Cuaron film.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

emo films, lol
    something something director's cut

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

@ Seven days in Utopia "Luke, I'm not your father"

Did Robert Duvall really stoop to that line?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

http://geektyrant.com/storage/post-i...indingrefn.png

Nicolas Winding Refn was in attendance at the Empire Big Screen for a screening of his upcoming film Drive. While there he talked at great length about Drive and his future projects, including Logan's Run and hopefully Wonder Woman.

The Playlist has provided ten highlights from the Q&A. Beware, there are some mild spoilers for Drive below so do not read if that bothers you:

1. Refn’s has been told by studio executives that his dream adaptation of “Wonder Woman” depends on the success of his first blockbuster, “Logan’s Run”
    “I would love to make ‘Wonder Woman.’ And I also think that Christina Hendricks would be the perfect Wonder Woman, but Warner Bros haven’t called yet. But I’m getting closer with ‘Logan’s Run.’ I think someone said to me in a meeting that if I get ‘Logan’s Run’ right, then I’ll get ‘Wonder Woman.’”

2. “Drive” is both a fairy tale and a ‘neon-noir,’ inspired by Jean-Pierre Melville and “Point Blank”
    “I really don’t know until afterwards, until someone said ‘It’s like an L.A. noir movie,’ and I said ‘It’s more like a neon-noir movie.’ The idea was to make a film in Los Angeles that was like a fairy tale…My main inspiration came from Grimm’s Fairy Tales. I started to read them a few years ago to my youngest daughter, and I thought it’d be interesting to make a movie like that, because they’re very specifically structured and condensed in their storytelling, and all the characters are these archetypes, and there’s always very few characters,” he said. “And it’s yet set in the real world, but yet it’s always in an imaginary setting. So the idea was to figure out that L.A. was like a dream world. And on top of that, L.A. is very much an 80s city, it’s never left the 80s, so it was very easy to get that retro [feel], but it wasn’t an intention I went out to get, that’s how L.A. actually looks… After having kids, you start to look at other things, have other kinds of inspiration. But in terms of cinematically, there was a lot of Melville, a lot of “Point Blank,” clearly those kind of obvious choices.

3. Refn returned to Los Angeles a few years ago, with the intention of killing Harrison Ford (on screen…)
    “I went [to L.A.] about 15 years ago for about a week, saying I would never come back. I only started coming back to work on a movie with Harrison Ford called ‘The Dying of the Light,’ which died, but Harrison Ford was supposed to die in the film, which was why I wanted to do it, I wanted to kill Harrison Ford.”

4. Albert Brooks was cast as the film’s heavy because he’s “a very angry Jewish man.”
    “I always wanted Albert Brooks because I thought he’d be interesting. A very angry Jewish man playing a very angry Jewish gangster. And he’d never killed anyone [on screen] before. But I’d never met him before, so the condition was he had to come to my house in LA—I wanted to live like a whole Hollywood mythology, I wanted a house and a swimming pool, and everyone had to come to me. And he came in, and he was so angry! And I was like ‘Right, part taken.’”

5. Refn lived with Carey Mulligan during the making of the film, and Ryan Gosling was his personal driver.
    “Carey Mulligan moved into my house because she didn’t have a place to live in L.A., and I would cut the house, and I can’t drive a car, so Ryan would always drive me alone. So you automatically become very collaborative in that effort. Directing is very easy, it’s all about inspiring everyone else to do their best.”

6. Gosling built the car he drives in the film himself.
    “Ryan wanted to build his own car. So the car, the Malibu, the old grey car he drives around, he built himself. He took it apart and put it back together.”

7. The main character’s wardrobe was inspired by KISS and Kenneth Anger’s “Scorpio Rising”
    “The jacket came because I had this idea that he had to wear a satin jacket. A lot of times I worked with music, and I don’t do drugs anymore, so music helps me come up with ideas. And the jacket came from the idea that the driver has to be kind of out of time, in a way, he had to be like KISS, ‘I Was Made For Lovin’ You.’ If that song had a jacket, it would be a satin jacket,” Refn said. “When you work with very good actors, you then let them choose the kind of costume they want, because it’s so much a part of who they are. So Ryan went out, and came back with different options, and he found the one he like, and it had an eagle on the back, an old bomber jacket, that emulates satin, that had that kind of 80s vibe. And then we were out in the garage, looking at various costumes, and the first cinematic reference I ever showed Ryan was ‘Scorpio Rising’ by Kenneth Anger, and when we were out there, Ryan said ‘You should show it to Erin [Banach, the costume designer]”. It starts with a logo of a scorpion, and it was like ‘That’s it.’” That’s where the idea of wearing a gold scorpion came from. And then Ryan came up with this idea of telling Albert Brooks the story of the scorpion and the frog.

8. The film’s already infamous ‘elevator scene’ shows that the film is actually a superhero movie
    “It’s more like the scene where she realizes ‘this man is psychotic.’ But also that’s the scene where he transforms himself into a superhero, because that’s where he goes on to kill all the bad guys…I like the idea he protects purity. He loves her so much that he’d rather protect her than be with her. I always thought that was an interesting dilemma for a protagonist.”

9. Refn wanted electronic music from the start, and asked composer Cliff Martinez to use the soundtrack cuts for inspiration.
    “It basically comes from my editor Matt Newman... who’s more obsessive about these things than I am. When I told him I wanted electronic music for the movie, he knew about modern bands, and what was happening around now in the electronic world, so he came in with a lot of suggestions, and I just picked the ones I liked. The only one I knew from the beginning was going to be in the movie was ‘Oh My Love,’ the opera song. It’s actually taken from an Italian movie called ‘Goodbye Uncle Tom’ [a 1971 mock-documentary about slavery directed by Gualtiero Jacopetti and Franco Prosperi] and if you see that movie, it’s the most offensive movie ever made, and I thought it was kind of interesting doing that in Hollywood, cos nobody knew it,” Refn explained. “Once I figured out what kind of songs I liked, always knowing that it had to be electronic, I had Cliff Martinez emulate the sound of those songs, and that automatically made it a kind of a retro, 80ish, synthesizer europop, which in America…they didn’t really get into that kind of music, ever. When I decided to go with that route, a lot of people thought it was very strange, they thought it had never really been done in American popular movies But then I had to remind them that John Hughes did in all the wonderful movies he made in the 80s.”

10. Refn consulted “Irreversible” director Gaspar Noé on the best way to cave in a skull on screen.
    “I actually called up Gaspar Noé and asked him how he did the head smashing, because he’s the king of head smashing. And he told me how he did it, and I met with him in France also, where he went through how they did it and I tried to emulate it. But it’s not as good as his. But I had a kiss. He didn’t have that.”
    http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/8/16...ns-run-is.html
    http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli..._getting_clos/

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meliadoul Tinjeru
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Christina Hendricks as Wonder Woman? I'd watch that movie a billion times.

aduidarnenye

I just downloaded and watched this movie.

It got bad reviews on Rotten Tomato but I really enjoyed it. It's a cross between a Western and a Samurai movie. Lots of sword fighting and gun fights. Lots of corny lines. Very predictable plot. But fun to watch.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

It looks like director Ridley Scott is excited about revisiting some of his earlier sci-fi work. He's currently directing Prometheus, which is in a way connected to his original Alien film, and working on that new film must have sparked a fire within him to take on another one of his earlier sci-fi film projects. He officially signed on to direct and produce a new installment of Blade Runner! How freakin' awesome is that shit!?

I honestly never thought we would ever see another Blade Runner movie, I knew we would see other films that pay homage to the classic sci-fi film, but never thought Scott would be the one to jump in and take it upon himself to make a flat out movie set in that same universe. Of course I never thought I'd see him get involved with a new Alien film either, but here he is. It's so cool to see Scott getting back in the sci-fi game, he must have forgotten how freakin' cool it was to work on these kinds of films until he started on Prometheus, which I can't wait to see.

There's no word on if the new Blade Runner film will be a sequel or prequel to the original 1982 film, which was loosely based on the Philip K. Dick novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? The other thing that isn't certain is if Harrison Ford will be back to reprise his role as Richard Deckard. All of our questions will be answered in time, but as of right now I can just be excited that Scott is actually going to make another Blade Runner movie.
    http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/8/18...nner-film.html
    http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/ridl...-blade-runner/

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Someone should put all of milksters film threads in here :D

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

didn't know this was being made

Rowan Atkinson returns to the role of the accidental secret agent who doesn't know fear or danger in the comedy spy-thriller Johnny English Reborn. In his latest adventure, the most unlikely intelligence officer in Her Majesty's Secret Service must stop a group of international assassins before they eliminate a world leader and cause global chaos. In the years since MI7′s top spy vanished off the grid, he has been honing his unique skills in a remote region of Asia. But when his agency superiors learn of an attempt against the Chinese premier's life, they must hunt down the highly unorthodox agent. Now that the world needs him once again, Johnny English is back in action.

aduidarnenye

There's something sacrilegious about a Blade Runner sequel/prequel/remake.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag