+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PC version of FFXI on PS3     submit to reddit submit to twitter

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

PC version of FFXI on PS3

so, here is the situation. as i mentioned in another thread, I currently run FFXI on a PS3, however due to it being run through ps2 emulation mode, the graphics are still ps2 quality, and lately, in larger events, like dynamis, I am having HORRIBLE lag, particularly when a large number of buffs go off. By horrible, I mean 1 frame every 3 secs. Also, I am limited to the same flaws that trouble the PS2 version, like blackscreen of death when fighting Aerns.

PS3 includes the ability to split the HDD, and install another OS on it, most notably, Linux. Now, through this Linux mode, people have been successful at installing Windows 95, 98, XP, and Vista, and running it on the PS3. Someone has even gone so far as to install Win95 as well as the original Starcraft on the PS3, and has posted a youtube video showing the operation of the game.

so here is my question. can I go about doing this same process, installing Linus, Windows XP, and PC format of FFXI (and perhaps add-ons, like ventrillo and windower)? In theory, it seems possible. Has anyone done this, or seen/heard of it being done? If so, how is the actual game performance and graphic?

Thx for the time

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Your probably going to get the same reply from anyone else.

The PS3 Isn't a brute when handling 3D application as is through XP, etc. The information you mentioned is about all the PS3 can currently hand when it comes to a PC game. Which would be basic animation and sprites. I've seen people run Diablo II on the lowest settings, but theres still tons of lags in areas like the jungle (many mobs on screen all at once).

Even if you were to get FFXI installed and such, you would not be able to get past the 3D interface of POL. The PS3 isn't made to go beyond that, its meant for internet browsing, email, basic multimedia, etc.

Also note, as I have tried this with a friends PS3. Your load times are going to be ridiculous with application running through XP. Just a forewarning. Your literally better off buying a pentium 1.66ghz and slapping a 9800 pro in it. Because its going to run 99% better than your PS3 ever will with FFXI.

edit: I forgot to mention, but when loading in Diablo II. It can take up to 2 1/2 minutes just to load an area. Imagine this with sometime more up-to-par like FFXI/Everquest/etc. Its not gonna happen.

Anyways cheers.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Even if PS3 allowed full power under a Linux distro, the main problem is that the system only has 256mb of ram, some of which is reserved for the PS3. >256mb of RAM is *not* enough to VM WinXP inside of linux, and have it running a game on top of that effectively.

Speaking of which, I need to get off my butt and optimize what's being loaded on Ubuntu 8.10 on my PS3, I only got friggen' 60mb of ram free after the OS is done loading. Firefox is rendered useless by that amount the second a Flash file loads. ;/

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

thanks for the quick replies. was trying to get out of buying a new PC system, but oh well..

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zumi Kasumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I am pretty sure GPU access is blocked when running Linux on PS3, which is the problem with running any games.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Yup, agree with all the posters above. You're better off saving the space. Not to mention the PS3 runs a PPC cpu which is not compatible with most of the linux software out there. Most things are compiled in x86 and 64 now. The best thing you'll prolly be able to do is run a zsnes emulator.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Snprphnx View Post
    thanks for the quick replies. was trying to get out of buying a new PC system, but oh well..
    You don't need a spectacular rig to run FFXI beautifully, so don't be too terribly bummed. You'll still have to purchase something, but getting a single core P4 (e.g., a 3.0GHz P4), a Radeon 4650, and 4GB of inexpensive RAM would be more than enough power to run FFXI well. You don't need a dual core (and definitely not a quad core, which there isn't much point to purchasing nowadays) for this CPU-intensive game, and monster setups like quad Crossfire cards would be a complete and utter waste if FFXI was all you played. It also wasn't designed for optimized threading anyways, and won't run faster than 30FPS.

So what would be an outdated rig by today's standards would be perfect for FFXI.