Closed Thread
Page 6 of 751 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast

aduidarnenye

My favourite characters are Tyrion and Sansa. Both are outsiders and have to use their wits to survive rather than brute force. I also like Sandor and Danys.

I think Eddard and Catelyn were really stupid and totally clueless. I started re-reading the books (listening on audiobook really) and I have to say that although I absolutely loved the series for the action and intrigue in 1998 (when I first read it) now I juse see how stupid and annoying a lot of the characters are. For instance...

Spoiler: show
    why does Catelyn feel the need for all the secrecy to go to King's Landing? She might dislike the Lannisters but there is absolutely no reason to hide her presence there. They can't, after all, accuse the Lannisters of anything and the Lannisters can't accuse them of anything as well. Also, seriously, Eddard Stark is the worst possible choice for a Hand ever. He's completely out of touch and not that clued in to the people around him. Finally, King Robert is a conqueror, and conquerors are generally known to be bright and amibitious, not guys who loll about in luxury completely unaware of what is going on around them. If they had removed it a generation the Henry VIII impression might have been believable, but as is, I can't see Robert being that awful a king or he would not have gotten the position in the first place. At the very least he should have been out there conqueroring more land, in the manner of Alexander or Caesar to have his history believed.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by aduidarnenye View Post
    why does Catelyn feel the need for all the secrecy to go to King's Landing? She might dislike the Lannisters but there is absolutely no reason to hide her presence there. They can't, after all, accuse the Lannisters of anything and the Lannisters can't accuse them of anything as well. Also, seriously, Eddard Stark is the worst possible choice for a Hand ever. He's completely out of touch and not that clued in to the people around him. Finally, King Robert is a conqueror, and conquerors are generally known to be bright and amibitious, not guys who loll about in luxury completely unaware of what is going on around them. If they had removed it a generation the Henry VIII impression might have been believable, but as is, I can't see Robert being that awful a king or he would not have gotten the position in the first place. At the very least he should have been out there conqueroring more land, in the manner of Alexander or Caesar to have his history believed.
    Ned wasn't the best "Game of Thrones player" as mentioned by certain Master of Coin

"Robert+frends" liberated people from Mad King's ruling, kept them happy with tournaments, festivals and food in general (rather important detail when it came to Lannisters getting their hands on the Throne, due to blockade of transport routes by Stannis and Renly). Robert kept people happy, you go openly against Robert- you go against the People. Even Stannis said "Robert could piss and people would still call it wine". Rioting when the court was returning from seeing Myrcella off to Dorne was good example of People's love for Lannisters.

Robert started the war because of Lyanna, not to conquer some land for himself. See how his hatred toward Targaryens was still there burning even years after the events at the Trident?

While Ned was horrible choice for a Hand and Catlyn was in general stupid woman who single handed started the war against the Lannisters we can`t forget that Robert was looking for someone he could trust and voice of reason at the same time, not someone who would scheme against schemers.

Quote Originally Posted by Linliel View Post
    I like Arya and Tyrion. Does Brienne remind anyone else of Paksenarrion? I wonder if that's a deliberate nod to GRRM's sci-fi pal Elizabeth?
    I hope not, I liked Paks, I disliked Brienne.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

http://pics.livejournal.com/grrm/pic/00079h6f

Illyrio Mopatis - Ian McNeice, he also played as the news guy in HBO's Rome

http://pics.livejournal.com/grrm/pic/0007bt84

Ros - Esme Bianco is playing the character of Ros who wasn't in Martin's novels.

And lastly, Khal Drogo is...

http://pics.livejournal.com/grrm/pic/0007c9cr

http://pics.livejournal.com/grrm/pic/0007dz75

Jason Momoa, who is best known to American television viewers for his role on STARGATE: ATLANTIS.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

In obvious/unsurprising news:

HBO has greenlighted highly anticipated fantasy series "Game of Thrones."

The premium network has picked up the project for a first-season debut next spring. Nine episodes plus the pilot have been ordered. Production will begin in Belfast this June.

The pickup comes on the heels of another HBO big ticket series order, for Terence Winter and Martin Scorsese's drama "Boardwalk Empire."

From the moment "Thrones" was first announced in development, the series based on the George R.R. Martin novels has generated enormous, perhaps unprecedented, online interest for a series at such an early stage.

The sprawling tale set in the mythical land of Westeros tells the story of the noble Stark family who become caught up in high court intrigue when patriarch Eddard (played by Sean Bean) becomes the king's new right-hand man. The four-and-counting books in the series would each be used as one season of the series.

Unlike many fantasy novels, the "Thrones" series largely avoids relying on magical elements and instead goes for brutal realism -- think "Sopranos" with swords. Martin, a former TV writer ("Beauty and the Beast"), writes each chapter as a cliffhanger, which should lend itself well to series translation.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Oh man I am so excited for this!

Has so much potential... they better not screw this up.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by alt View Post
    Oh man I am so excited for this!

Has so much potential... they better not screw this up.
    It's HBO so i retain my faith, will look forward to this next year, or maybe a fall show?

His blog and the articles linked there say 2011.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

recasting news from <redacted>

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha!
    BG Level

O.o This is weird. I had no idea about this being made into a show, but I started reading the first book a couple weeks ago, lol. Haven't been reading it hardcore, so I'm only about halfway through, but I'll probably end up finishing it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvrdragon View Post
    O.o This is weird. I had no idea about this being made into a show, but I started reading the first book a couple weeks ago, lol. Haven't been reading it hardcore, so I'm only about halfway through, but I'll probably end up finishing it tonight.
    Wait what? How fast do you read? Or do you just read a lot cause halfway through still leaves you with what 350-400 pages left? In any case it's about three quarters of the way through the first book that the series really starts to get rolling. Consider yourself lucky that you're only starting now, so you haven't had to go through the endless waiting for the next book.

They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bweigelt View Post
    Wait what? How fast do you read? Or do you just read a lot cause halfway through still leaves you with what 350-400 pages left? In any case it's about three quarters of the way through the first book that the series really starts to get rolling. Consider yourself lucky that you're only starting now, so you haven't had to go through the endless waiting for the next book.
    Oh, I could read the whole book in a night if I wanted to. It's just that I have several shows that I like to keep up on and I prioritized Starcraft2 Beta over it while it was up. Oh, and work and sleep.

aduidarnenye

Quote Originally Posted by Bweigelt View Post
    I read the entire book on the train from Inverness, Scotland to Sheffield, England. It is the kind of book that grips onto you and holds you. Well, first read at least. Subsequent reads leaves you wondering about the glaring plot holes and general silliness.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'm still kind of wondering how they're going to deal with Martin's love of killing off major characters like they're nothing. While it may work in the books killing characters off on TV is tricky and can make you lose a good portion of the audience depending on the character.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 751 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast