+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Viral image of decapitated 18-year-old Orange County girl

This is a story about a photo—an image so horrific we can't print it in NEWSWEEK. The picture shows the lifeless body of an 18-year-old Orange County girl named Nikki Catsouras, who was killed in a devastating car crash on Halloween day in 2006. The accident was so gruesome the coroner wouldn't allow her parents, Christos and Lesli Catsouras, to identify their daughter's body. But because of two California Highway Patrol officers, a digital camera and e-mail users' easy access to the "Forward" button, there are now nine photos of the accident scene, taken just moments after Nikki's death, circulating virally on the Web. In one, her nearly decapitated head is drooping out the shattered window of her father's Porsche.
    One Family's Fight Against Grisly Web Photos | Newsweek Technology | Newsweek.com

I remember seeing images of this girls dead body about 2 years ago, and seeing this article spotlighted on MSN Today sort of got me rethinking a lot.

I remember clearly how 4chan posters responded to the images, and how I responded. I didn't know she had a brain tumor at a young age, or had any brain disorder causing her to act out the way she did by speeding recklessly. I feel really bad about my posts on 4chan when I first discovered her images on the site.

I figured I'd post this article here since a number of people here browse web sites like 4chan, and have possibly seen images of her accident.

Banned.

BG Level

DeliciousFurry
    Oh okay

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Can't find the pics... but then again I'm at work so I'm not trying hard enough.

But damn, she's cute.

But also, a Porshe? In before rich daddy's girl jokes and such really, sorry but precautions should've been put in place to not have let this happen.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Found some... just have to google "Nikki Catsouras" Pretty gnarly exploded skull images. Par for the desensitized internet generation course though. She appears to have wrecked the fucking shit out of that car not only completely by herself but also in mid-day. Wat?

edit: nevermind she took out a Honda in the process.

Also:

"18 year old Nikki Catsouras a.k.a. Porsche Girl had an argument with her Father and he took her car keys away. So she borrowed his $150,000 Porsche and was speeding in excess of 100MPH before hitting a Honda that was doing 70MPH and ploughing into this tollbooth."

and

"And here's where we come to the nitty-gritty - In an interview this week, Lesli Catsouras said Nikki had not been drinking but had used cocaine the night before the crash – only the second time she had tried the drug, her mother said."

"Two months before Nikki died, she was hospitalized for three days after trying cocaine supplied by a schoolmate, Lesli Catsouras said. Nikki had an inoperable brain tumor – first detected when she was 8 – that caused her to have a severe psychotic reaction to the drug.

Nikki took the Porsche because her parents were going to admit her to a hospital again after she tested positive for cocaine the night before she died, Lesli Catsouras said. Her parents had taken away the keys to her car, but she found the keys to the Porsche dangling in the house."

Darwin just got a boner for Nikki.

last edit:

Officer1 was given 25 days without pay, Officer2 quit for "unrelated reasons."

"Judge Perk ruled that the two were not under any responsibility for protecting the privacy of the Catsouras family, effectively ending the basis for the case."

Haha.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Shit was vicious. Too much of a pussy to look for them photos.

Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Pretty gnarly exploded skull images. Par for the desensitized internet generation course though.
    Yeah, had to check it out after hearing about this. The hair detached from anything was sort of grisly.

Packin more heat than spicy
    8=====>

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meteora View Post
    Shit was vicious. Too much of a pussy to look for them photos.
    yeah dont, wish i didnt google it

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

The Web is full of dark images, so perhaps the urge to post these tragic pictures isn't surprising. But for the Catsouras family, the photos are a daily torment. Just days after Nikki's death, her father, a local real-estate agent, clicked open an e-mail that appeared to be a property listing. Onto his screen popped his daughter's bloodied face, captioned with the words "Woohoo Daddy! Hey daddy, I'm still alive."

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Just looked at the photo(s). Gruesome, indeed.

What exactly did 4chan and co do/comment?

EDIT: Just saw one of the comments above.

Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

For the Catsouras family, calling attention to the case has obvious drawbacks: they realize some who read this story may seek out their daughter's death photos, though they desperately hope you won't.
    Seems a bit too late for that here.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Orange County girl has an Orange County tumor and has an Orange County reaction to an Orange County drug causing her Orange County parents to find out and get Orange County pissed and take her Orange County keys away, resulting in her stealing her Orange County dad's Orange County car and going Orange County mph into another Orange County car, ending her tragic Orange County life.

Wasn't there an episode like this on the OC?

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I can't find any info on the Honda driver. Was he alright?

EDIT: Oh crap I'm so going to hell for this, I blindy clicked on an encyclopediadramatica link...

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
    I can't find any info on the Honda driver. Was he alright?

EDIT: Oh crap I'm so going to hell for this, I blindy clicked on an encyclopediadramatica link...
    "The lone person in the Honda was transferred to a hospital with minor injuries. He has sued the Catsouras family for damages. That case is pending."

Heh!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Is it bad that I didn't flinch at all? I kinda giggled to be honest, did the people she hit end up being ok or did her carelessness kill someone?

EDIT: I guess the above poster answers my question lol.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Trollbane

id fuck her brains out LOL oh wait

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm really not sure Tricen, given the circumstances of "rich = dumb" and bad parenting (despite the brain and drug issue), plus a waste of a good looking girl, and then clicking on the encyclopediadramatica and reading "Conclusion: Concrete > Car", it's a bit of a mixed bag feeling.

EDIT: Digging around a bit more and finding more info, I understand it is very disturbing/upsetting to see one's very own daughter get "made fun of" on the internet. However, taking devil's advocate here, it's really to make people open their eyes a bit more (and Nikki's parents) to realise that they have indeed been bad parents, followed by the stereotypical "rich daddy's girl", to not let anyone repeat a similar mistake (i.e. if your offspring is fucking crazy, don't leave access to dangerous objects lying around). Also, given the fact Nikki's undeniably attractive but mental which accelerated this circulation of the news/pics. This is bringing a light on how "stupid" Nikki's parents are, and I too cannot deny/disagree with some of the comments as unfortunately and tragic this is.

Of course, there's probably other factors we're not aware of on the deeper end of things, but I always thought if one is diagnosed as crazy (due to the brain tumour thing) one shouldn't be allowed ... to drive?

I mean, so far a lot of crazy stuff on the news has been posted here. It just serves to teach us a lesson on these things. When we post our seemingly evil/dark/sarcastic comments, it's not necessarily evil/dark/sarcastic, it's to tell you "Just what the FUCK were you thinking?"

NOTE TO SELF: Don't post my re-enactment of my lightsaber techniques from when I was 8 years old.

You wouldn't download a car
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Oh, that's pretty rank. Kinda looks like a salami.

man i feel bad for the family

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Er, she had a brain issue that caused her to drive fast? Kinda like Ashley Simspon had "acid reflux"?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast