+ Reply to Thread
Page 244 of 317 FirstFirst ... 194 234 242 243 244 245 246 254 294 ... LastLast

Thread: Magic: The Gathering     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Only reason I'd buy the set is to play the crapshoot on Goyf, and it'd be more financially responsible to just buy singles. Which I still wouldn't do.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

do elesh and iona even see any play in modern?

i am hoping this list turns out to be wrong, only because i don't want those two getting a reprint after spending $25-30 on them a short while ago, lol.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Moridam View Post
    do elesh and iona even see any play in modern?

i am hoping this list turns out to be wrong, only because i don't want those two getting a reprint after spending $25-30 on them a short while ago, lol.
    Nah, but they both see play in Legacy. And I think EDH?

Modern Masters has been such a headache. My laziness to move my staples paid off for the first set when Goyf like doubled in price. I kinda want to flip my staples and reinvest since MM2015 is supposed to have a higher print run, but keeping on top of MTG finance stuff is like a second full time job.

Depending on what happens, I'm kinda tempted to pick up a second playset of Goyfs just so I don't have to move them back and forth between Legacy and Modern.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Elesh still had some use in Birthing Pod decks, but that's obviously a no go now. Both are for sure staples in a legacy Reanimator deck, but I don't know any viable Modern decks that actually make use of them.

Champion of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Elesh & Iona both see play in Dredge (Modern version). If that list is correct, I'm surprised Iona is getting reprinted over Linvala.

Edit: List for reference

http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=16357&iddeck=122300

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Keep in mind that Wizards used the first MMA set to reprint eternal cards that are used in formats other than Modern.

For example, Doubling Season is pretty much only seen in EDH. It comes from a time before Planeswalkers existed, so it can never be printed in a Standard set.

FTV: Angels comes out in August, so it's almost guaranteed that Linvala will be printed there since she's not in MMA 2015.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Just signed up for Vegas GP because why the hell not. I am excited this is my first GP so it should be a fun time. Going to be there for Thursday Friday and Saturday. I think I will do at least 2 sealed tournaments (1 side and the main) but hopefully more.

I won't be buying any mm2015 like I did for the first mm so this is a fun way to get to open some product and play a lot of magic over the course of the weekend.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Nice, yeah I'm flying in on that Friday. I have a friend paying for one of my sealed side events because he wants the cards and the playmat. Also, I don't know if its too late but there is a deal going where if you donate blood you got a voucher for a free mm draft.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kononeko View Post
    Nice, yeah I'm flying in on that Friday. I have a friend paying for one of my sealed side events because he wants the cards and the playmat. Also, I don't know if its too late but there is a deal going where if you donate blood you got a voucher for a free mm draft.
    It is still up on the website to do that. I might have to do that but I couldn't see how to sign up for it when you click the link it just tells you when and where.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Have fun, guys. I really want to hit that GP, but I'm on the east coast and can't justify spending the money for the trip.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Totally getting back into paper magic. Got some standard decks ordered and on the way. Anyone on this thread in the Nashville area?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Not I, but it was nice when I went there for the Team Sealed GP last year. That one BBQ place on Broadway was just stupid good, worth every penny!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Also, is anyone going to the sealed GP in Atlantic City next weekend?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Kononeko View Post
    Also, is anyone going to the sealed GP in Atlantic City next weekend?
    I'm still on the fence. There's no way I'd be able to stay for Sunday since it's Mother's Day, so I'd only be going for Saturday.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Question for anyone who has ever done a GP or specifically a sealed GP before. I have heard that GP's while run at a competitive level are generally more casual than other higher level tournaments, is that true? What is the atmosphere like? Are people generally friendly or is it really heated/competitive?

This will be my first GP and I am not quite sure what to expect.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

In my experience, it is true that the feeling in the room is a little more lax. You have a lot of more "casual" style players who aren't good at Legacy/Standard that attend sealed GPs.

Basically, EDH.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    Question for anyone who has ever done a GP or specifically a sealed GP before. I have heard that GP's while run at a competitive level are generally more casual than other higher level tournaments, is that true? What is the atmosphere like? Are people generally friendly or is it really heated/competitive?

This will be my first GP and I am not quite sure what to expect.
    It's the largest GP ever, so it's hard to say. You're going to get a mix of people who are there to just have a good time since it's basically a magic convention, and you have your spikes who are there to try and win the biggest magic tournament ever.

Rule #1 is if you are unsure about ANYTHING, call a judge. A lot of people who are playing at competitive REL for the first time feel funny about this. Don't. Judges are there to handle questions all the way from making sure a certain card works the way you think it does to "I think this guy is cheating".

Also, be wary of how your cards work. There are no "take backs" at the GP level unless your opponent allows it (generally they won't).

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlic View Post
    It's the largest GP ever, so it's hard to say. You're going to get a mix of people who are there to just have a good time since it's basically a magic convention, and you have your spikes who are there to try and win the biggest magic tournament ever.

Rule #1 is if you are unsure about ANYTHING, call a judge. A lot of people who are playing at competitive REL for the first time feel funny about this. Don't. Judges are there to handle questions all the way from making sure a certain card works the way you think it does to "I think this guy is cheating".

Also, be wary of how your cards work. There are no "take backs" at the GP level unless your opponent allows it (generally they won't).
    The only "take back" that can happen is if whatever you did was plain illegal to do - incorrect/not enough mana / not a valid target / sorcery timing.
    Note that if you choose an invalid target, you are NOT required to change the target to something that is legal and probably detrimental to you. This goes back to the call a judge if your opponent tries to make you do that.

If you want to play "serious" don't be afraid to do these things:
    If anybody accidentally draws or looks at extra cards / something not in the rules of the game and says oops and "corrects" it. Call a judge. Whether they get a game loss or anything is irrelevant because it will be noted by the judge in the system to ensure a pattern of them "oopsing" doesn't keep happening across multiple events.

If you want to play for fun, don't get on tilt if an opponent calls a judge on you. They may be trying to grab a free win which may well be in their right. But they may also be doing the above and ensuring the mistake isn't one you continue to do over and over maliciously

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Yeah I have played several competitive REL events in my local game store so I feel comfortable calling the judge frequently and I am comfortable being a stickler about the take back thing. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I am not going to go to be competitive I am going because it is a huge magic convention as you said and it should be a fun time. I hope that I can have fun with it.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

I've noticed a lot of people ask their opponents or people watching about rules or interactions. Never do that at a competitive tourney. No one has your interest in mind. I've learned that the hard way back when I got into competitive REL.

Something I got into the habit of doing in any tourney is that I say, aloud, all my actions. Makes sure you play properly and tends to annoy the opponent. Plus, never assume that everyone you play against knows all the interactions of cards.