Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

The 2009 US Open - Bethpage (Black Course)

It's pissing and pouring right now. Scores aren't going to be great, as it isn't supposed to stop raining through the weekend. Pre-tourney predictions put the winning score at par or even worse. Now we just need hurricane winds and maybe we'll get a British Open preview.

Anywho, Phil tees it off at about 1:30 EST, and Woods is already 5 holes deep and +2. Leader is -1 through 10.

Edit: Play has been suspended. Fantastic start to a really tough course. Should be a great weekend. Which makes me think...why, in golf, do we prefer to watch the players struggle? We seem to enjoy watching the leaders shoot high scores on tough courses. Is there another sport where it seems that the viewership goes up as the scores get worse?

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    Which makes me think...why, in golf, do we prefer to watch the players struggle? We seem to enjoy watching the leaders shoot high scores on tough courses. Is there another sport where it seems that the viewership goes up as the scores get worse?
    Would you rather watch Serena Williams play in the Wimbledon finals against someone good, or in the Las Vegas Hilton Open against Rosie O'Donnel?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    Would you rather watch Serena Williams play in the Wimbledon finals against someone good, or in the Las Vegas Hilton Open against Rosie O'Donnel?
    I'd watch both really.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

It's been raining here almost every day for the last 2 weeks. I don't know how much they're going to play this weekend, seeing how the forecast is horrendous through Sunday. Even if they do, the course is going to play incredibly long with how soft the course is gonna be. I guess that means Tiger has the advantage, but who knows.

I hate this weather, it sucks!

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    It's been raining here almost every day for the last 2 weeks. I don't know how much they're going to play this weekend, seeing how the forecast is horrendous through Sunday. Even if they do, the course is going to play incredibly long with how soft the course is gonna be. I guess that means Tiger has the advantage, but who knows.

It's supposed to rain/thunder/lightning all throughout next Saturday too =\ Fucking wind blew my umbrella inside out this morning on my way to work lol

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Play is cancelled for the day. Someone posted a flikr picture of today's weather at St. Andrew's. Ironically enough, sunny skies and beautiful.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post

Don't be silly. Tiger Woods always has the advantage in some way. =P

Either way, I started watching this when it came on ESPN, all the way up until the horn signifying that play was suspended. Talk about a sopping mess out there. Also, the four in the lead at -1 get to have their moment in the sun as they get to keep the overnight lead and all. Good for them! It's sad that I don't think either of them will probably make the cut, but eh.

Bethpage Black is a ridiculous golf course to begin with. Not only is it tough, but it's really long. With the rain added to it? It could make a 7400 yard course into an 8400 yard course. I can't wait until the weekend though.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

If you aren't watching or checking updates, you should be. Phil has closed a 5 hole gap to tie the lead. Potential huge story developing.

A. Body
    BG Level

can't watch, so just checking score updates

looks more like Glover gave it away than Phil catching up

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Even if you find golf boring, this has been one of the more exciting finishes since the Woods - Mediate one last year.

PS: Duval out of absolutely nowhere

wow @ Ricky Barnes going +6

If anyone's watching, has he been choking putts or shanking iron shots? Or is the course just playing tough for him finally?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah, Sunday pins, tough course, a little nerves... seems like the putter abandoned him due to the above reasons, lots of extra putts today.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

If anyone's watching, has he been choking putts or shanking iron shots? Or is the course just playing tough for him finally?
    His tee shots have been terrible; he's been in the high grass on half the holes. He's been lucky that he didn't score higher with some unplayables.

And it's over, Lucas Glover pow

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

In the end, it shouldn't be so much of a surprise that one of the guys in the top 20 in driving distance wins the Open.

7400 yards is a shit-ton.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I was really pulling for Phil, him and his poor wife really deserve it. But at the end of the day the better player won, I just hope Phil doesn't let this get him down. This is his what, 5th 2nd place finish in the open? lol, poor guy.

I have no idea tbh
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I liked this quote on the ESPN blog about Glover:

"He may very well win the U.S. Open today … and in the process become the most disliked golfer around, simply by stealing the stage from Phil Mickelson and David Duval, each of whom would have made for an incredible story."

I really wish weather hadn't been so much of an issue, making it so I had to follow scores from work. The US Open is my favorite golf tournament to watch simply because you're almost guaranteed to see a disaster or two in the final round. It's like a sports horror movie on a good year.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

I had my money on lefty finishing 2nd. Awesome.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    I had my money on lefty finishing 2nd. Awesome.
    Yeah bet since he always comes in 2nd LOL

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Sorry I'm late but

Oh, so now that Tiger is playing golf, it's the BLACK course huh?

HUH?