• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Ridiculously amazing gift card prices (i.e. $100 card for $8) (possible scam, read entire thread)

Hey I found this out and am not sure how long it's going to last for but check it:

1. Go to Restaurant.com - Deals on neighborhood restaurants. $25 Restaurant Certificates for only $10!
    2. Type in your zipcode
    3. Click on a restaurant you like and the coupon amount you want, and then click on the add to cart thing.
    4. type in this discount code: DISH
    5. It applies an 80% discount to the coupon, so if you chose a $100 gift card for $40, it brings the price down to $8.

It's pretty ridiculous. Hopefully you can find something you like!

Blackice

Wow, nice find. Thanks a bunch!

Whoa, is this for real? Was looking through a bunch of stuff and definitely saw some worthwhile gift cards. How do some of these work tho? Like the $100 ones have minimum 30/40$ order. How does that work? The bill comes out to 120 bucks, I pay 20, or 40? Im assuming 20. Think they just credit you the rest?

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

The catch is for all of them you have to buy more food than the certificate covers. still a nice discount I guess, but yeah...

Na, like I said, the $100 gift certificates require a $40 minimum. Not sure how it all works out tho.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

I'm guessing, if you need to get $30 for it work and you buy the $25 card, that you pay the $5 by other means. $5 for a meal vs. $30 is huge savings.

I have no idea tbh
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If it's somewhere you want to go anyway, you can't beat it. But, most of the "gift cards" are really discount coupons, and require you to have a tab about twice the amount of the card. (ie, $25 gift card applied towards a minimum $50 check). They normally run 50% of the card price, and have deals like this once every month or so.

You're not really going to get a $100 dinner for $8. But you are going to see a discount.

Here's an example:

- Fancy restaurant normal price you expect to pay $100 for two.
    - Allows purchase of $50 giftcard for 80% (normal price is $25, discount makes it $5).
    - End of your $100 meal costs you $50 + $5 (plus tax/tip etc).

FYI, might be total coincidence, but I did this a few months ago when they had a similar promo, and the next day I had 3 wierd fraud charges from various print services on my credit card...all got resolved but still....

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

No restaurants anywhere near me

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

gonna call fraud on this

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Search "restaurant.com scam" on google and decide for yourself.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

according to comments on a link from googling that, this is legit and people are retarded because they thought the coupons were mailed instead of printed.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

When you purchase a gift certificate, you have to make sure you avoid letting them sign you up for a company called Shopping Essentials which bills your credit card for $14.95 per month by clicking "No Thanks" on the "survey" page after you purchase but before you print the coupon.

Also we have to make sure the merchants accept them.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

I call BS lol. D:

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I was going to lock this and throw it in the trash after I did some googling. However, I'm just going to change the title for now so noone unknowingly jumps into the OP head first and gets ripped off.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

I definitely got the "This feels too good to be true" feeling. Printed coupons make me nervous, especially if they are not from the official website of the place you are going to.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

My wife actually just called a restaurant listed on the website and asked if they honored gift cards from there and they said yes. I will let you guys know if I end up in debt and have my house repo'd because of the site.

BG Level

Ok, I'll be the brave one. Just got a $25 off coupon on a purchase of $35 or more for a local sushi restaurant. THE CATCH IS!

Thank You...
    Please complete your survey and claim your reward –

$10.00 CASH BACK ON YOUR PURCHASE TODAY!

Thank you for your order from Restaurant.com today! Complete your 2009 Consumer Survey and registration to claim your $10.00 Cash Back Award on your purchase today. (Click here for $10.00 Cash Back details) Plus, get all the money-saving benefits of Shopping Essentials+SM, our premier shopper savings program!
    Once you enter your CC info, and click "purchase" you get taken to this page. It has a 4 question "survey" for $10 off your purchase or something, but that's what enrolls you in sketchy-ass diner program thingy. It looks mandatory, but there's a small "No Thanks" you can click in the bottom right of the page to skip that step and just go to your coupon.

Of course I still don't know if the merchant will accept, but the coupon looks legit, and there are phone #s on it for the merchant to call to verify. If the coupon works, and you successfully dodge the membership plan, it -should- work. I'll try to use my coupon ASAP to let you know if the merchant accepts it.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Sweet, now archi can bump this thread in a month when restaurants.com charges him 15 bucks on his CC despite him saying 'no way' and their phones are an endless mess of automated tellers and their office is some abandoned lot in jersey so he can't send snail mail to them or report them to the BBB.

BG Level

I'll let you know whatever happens. I think it's probably legit, it's just that there's a ton of snares in the process. You have to avoid the stupid scam club signup, the coupons have a minimum purchase, you still have to pay for the coupons (even though it's a small amount when using the offer code), the coupons don't work on alcohol, you have to tip on the pre-coupon amount, and you have to go in a party of two or more.

So my $25 off a $35 purchase is great, but it's hard to only spend $35 on sushi with two people, so I'll be spending probably $50, and then $10 tip and $5 tax, so it'll be like $25 off a $65 meal. Plus I spent $2 on the coupon, so it's $23 off $60. Still a nice setup, but you just have to work around all the bullshit. Even if I bought exactly only $35 in food and non-alcoholic beverages, that's still $3.23 tax, $7 tip, total of $45.23. $25 off $45.23 is nice, but you see that you really have to work to even cut your final bill in half.

Also be wary of what they tell you is the "best deal" when looking at the dollar amounts. $25 off $35 minimum purchase for $2 is definitely the best deal at this restaurant, but the higher tier ones are $50 off $100 and $100 off $200. $100 off is a lot, but it's a much lower ratio to what you have to spend than $25 off $35.

Seen the website discussed in a lot of other forums, general consensus is it's "legit", and they just try to get money from you with shady practices you can avoid, but the coupons work.