+ Reply to Thread
Page 273 of 284 FirstFirst ... 223 263 271 272 273 274 275 283 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Hardon Collider     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

That's a good question. I'm not familiar enough with neurology to really explain further but I'd be interested in hearing what you find.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

http://io9.com/new-test-suggests-nas...ork-1701188933

The NASASpaceflight.com group has given consideration to whether the experimental measurements of thrust force were the result of an artifact. Despite considerable effort within the NASASpaceflight.com forum to dismiss the reported thrust as an artifact, the EM Drive results have yet to be falsified.

After consistent reports of thrust measurements from EM Drive experiments in the US, UK, and China – at thrust levels several thousand times in excess of a photon rocket, and now under hard vacuum conditions – the question of where the thrust is coming from deserves serious inquiry.
    I'm trying hard to understand some terms that the community is throwing around. I do get the fact that if this actually creates a warp field around the engine (i think) then we just found the holy grail of space travel.

Where Star Trek meets reality!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by myreality View Post
    http://io9.com/new-test-suggests-nas...ork-1701188933

I'm trying hard to understand some terms that the community is throwing around. I do get the fact that if this actually creates a warp field around the engine (i think) then we just found the holy grail of space travel.

Where Star Trek meets reality!
    In the past we would have had multiple inputs from physicists with more an ear to the engineering groundwork than I have, but those days are gone, so I'll do my best to sum it all up.

First and foremost:

Anything pertaining to the warping of spacetime, hyperdrive, warp speed, faster-than-light, fast-as-light, extrasolar travel, etc
    NOPE

Also there is no such concept as a "warp field".

Now that we have that out of the way...

What we have are a handful of preliminary tests that confirm what has been theorized for many years now: quantum vacuum energy can be measured an applied directly regardless of frame of reference.

These handful of tests are not fully accepted within the academic community, but have so far stood up to falsification.

What does this mean?

In the next ~100 years: light craft spec'd to ferry stuff back and forth to LEO (low earth orbit) stations will benefit from decreased weight since they will need less (not none) conventional fuel, and thus will be able to make the trips faster / carry more cargo / yadda yadda. This will also benefit ferrying of materials to geosynchronous orbit stations as well.

"But traveling to other planets!"

Even with vastly increased efficiency (this is cited directly in the nasa article, not the i09 or wired articles) we'd still be looking at 70 day trips to Mars. This is great, of course, but it's still long. How about to our nearest star besides the sun? After calculating for deceleration and maximizing current efficiency values it's still 130 years. Again, much better than with conventional fuel, but that's 1.3 centuries just to our NEAREST star.

What to take away from this

This is great news. The (potential) confirmation of making use of vacuum energy is huge (and very cool). Great confirmation of theoretical models that defy common physical notions. This is absolutely NOTHING like any sci-fi notion of "warp" travel or interstellar travel. The ONLY reason the word warp even comes up is because some jackass named a pet theoretical propulsion project "WarpStar 1" some years ago and this engine performs better than it.

Physics is awesome, headlines are misleading, journalists should be shot.

Sorry, no Star Trek here.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    In the past we would have had multiple inputs from physicists with more an ear to the engineering groundwork than I have, but those days are gone, so I'll do my best to sum it all up.

First and foremost:

Anything pertaining to the warping of spacetime, hyperdrive, warp speed, faster-than-light, fast-as-light, extrasolar travel, etc
    NOPE

Also there is no such concept as a "warp field".

Now that we have that out of the way...

What we have are a handful of preliminary tests that confirm what has been theorized for many years now: quantum vacuum energy can be measured an applied directly regardless of frame of reference.

These handful of tests are not fully accepted within the academic community, but have so far stood up to falsification.

What does this mean?

In the next ~100 years: light craft spec'd to ferry stuff back and forth to LEO (low earth orbit) stations will benefit from decreased weight since they will need less (not none) conventional fuel, and thus will be able to make the trips faster / carry more cargo / yadda yadda. This will also benefit ferrying of materials to geosynchronous orbit stations as well.

"But traveling to other planets!"

Even with vastly increased efficiency (this is cited directly in the nasa article, not the i09 or wired articles) we'd still be looking at 70 day trips to Mars. This is great, of course, but it's still long. How about to our nearest star besides the sun? After calculating for deceleration and maximizing current efficiency values it's still 130 years. Again, much better than with conventional fuel, but that's 1.3 centuries just to our NEAREST star.

What to take away from this

This is great news. The (potential) confirmation of making use of vacuum energy is huge (and very cool). Great confirmation of theoretical models that defy common physical notions. This is absolutely NOTHING like any sci-fi notion of "warp" travel or interstellar travel. The ONLY reason the word warp even comes up is because some jackass named a pet theoretical propulsion project "WarpStar 1" some years ago and this engine performs better than it.

Physics is awesome, headlines are misleading, journalists should be shot.

Sorry, no Star Trek here.
    Goddamnit SathFenrir, Let me have the Star Trek sciences!

Uhh, why are we talking about warp fields? There are plenty of reasons to stay skeptical about the findings reported in that article, but nowhere (unless I misread) does it talk about a "warp" field. It's not talking about faster-than-light travel; it's not talking about fast-as-light travel; it doesn't claim anything in the bolded parts of Saths comments, actually.

I know Sath covered all this in his last paragraph, but there's no reason to be angry here. That article was actually pretty good, as far as science-reporting goes. It reported what the most current results have shown, and it has covered the skepticism and [major] reasons behind the skepticism

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Ummmm, not angry. Was just joking around........

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

^ not angry, but also that is not the only article.

First instance of this I saw was from an IFLS link on FB which DID have the words "warp drive" in it.

It seems to have been taken down now for obvious reasons, but yeah, plenty of that style of reporting going on so I wanted to make it clear before people come in here with "muh warp drives!"

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Lol, sorry about that, had multiple videos and they were not related.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

http://www.techradar.com/news/world-...s-test-1299362

Uh-oh, a robot just passed the self-awareness test

Roboticists at the Ransselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York have built a trio of robots that were put through the classic 'wise men puzzle' test of self-awareness - and one of them passed.

In the puzzle, a fictional king is choosing a new advisor and gathers the three wisest people in the land. He promises the contest will be fair, then puts either a blue or white hat on each of their heads and tells them all that the first person to stand up and correctly deduce the colour of their own hat will become his new advisor.

Selmer Bringsjord set up a similar situation for the three robots - two were prevented from talking, then all three were asked which one was still able to speak. All attempt to say "I don't know", but only one succeeds - and when it hears its own voice, it understands that it was not silenced, saying "Sorry, I know now!"

However, as we can assume that all three robots were coded the same, technically, all three have passed this self-awareness test.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

That's kinda cheating though!

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

What i find interesting is that they were all programmed the same but only one was able to respond in such a manner.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by myreality View Post
    What i find interesting is that they were all programmed the same but only one was able to respond in such a manner.
    Because the other two were told they couldn't talk. If you read the article it says that 1 robot can talk and the other two cannot and the robot needs to figure out if it is the one that can talk. That is why it is a logic question/self awareness test.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Stephen Hawking is doing an AMA on Reddit. Because of his limitations, they're taking questions today and posting answers tomorrowish. The topic is the ethics of AI.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

http://america.aljazeera.com/article...tant-star.html

Alien megastructure possibly orbiting star.

The star is located about 1,500 light-years away from Earth, between the Cygnus and Lyre constellations in the Milky Way galaxy. That means that the dimming observed by the telescope was caused by objects that existed around the star in the 6th century CE.

“We’d never seen anything like this star,” Boyajian told The Atlantic. “It was really weird. We thought it might be a bad data … but everything checked out.”

Boyajian recently authored a paper examining possible natural explanations for the debris. The explanations included instrument defects or a planetary-scale impact that left matter circling the star, the paper said. Another possible explanation is that a nearby star transited through the unusual star’s system, bringing a group of comets along with it, it added.

But those explanations were unlikely, as the light pattern didn’t appear on any of the other 150,000 stars viewed through the Kepler Space Telescope, Boyajian sai
    This has been making the rounds lately and is interesting to read. Anyone more familiar and understand the science behind the story able to give input? I would love to think aliens but reality sucks and the light dimming is probably caused by a thick asteroid belt.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

It's never about aliens until it is. I wouldn't get my hopes up one bit.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Spoiler alert: it isn't aliens

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

Oh, I never notice this thread before. Did anyone mention the Glueball?

http://m.phys.org/news/2015-10-parti...y-nuclear.html

I actually was CERN over the summer working on an Antimatter experiment called Alpha.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

I've seen some talks about GlueX at JLab but haven't been paying much attention to the topic for a while. Glueballs don't seem to excite people like SUSY and other BSM physics do.

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

Which is unfortunate, because it's really interesting.