BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Addons making WoW Crash/Building PC for wow

2 things, one thread, 2nd one is more techy but a lot of tech people play wow and post in this forum.

Thing#1.

My sisters PC which I built like... 5-6yrs ago lol, is having a problem. She deleted wow recently and didn't want to play no mo, but, as is the trend, she reinstalled like last night. Whenever she turns on an addon, she gets fatal errors or, upon every log in, her settings reset. Like chat bubbles reset, sometimes resolution, sometimes addon placement. Something is always wrong, that is, if she doesn't have the fatal error.

I tried deleting some folders running repairs, trying 1 addon at a time to find a conflict... nothing works. Friend said her ram probably went bad. He said he had a similar problem, new ram fixed it. I've been planning to reformat her pc, hoping it might fix it, but if she also needs ram and maybe a few upgrades... WHY NOT BUILD A NEW PC FOR HER RIGHT???

Thing#2 NEW PC FOR WOW

She doesn't do much more than play wow, TONS OF PHOTOSHOP, and upload videos etc to youtube im guessing she'll want to learn to edit them too... shes running dual monitor now, on a shitty pc by todays standards. Under 1000$ sounds pretty good, but my dumbass always goes overboard, and goes too far as far as specs go. I got to 800$ building this:

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
    Newegg.com - ASUS P5QL PRO LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
    Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
    Newegg.com - Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply - Power Supplies
    Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Desktop Memory
    Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
    Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

I made it a while ago so some things are probably outdater or there are cheaper options now.

I can cut back on processor, its the one I have currently so i grabbed it, cause its awesome. PSU can prob cut back and on mobo... There is probably cheaper/better ram out there now as well. GFX card should be good but I think I want nvidia, what's the equivalent to the ati one I picked? I know this should be more than enough to run wow, but some advice on cutting back on a few options would be great. Any known ways to help the addon thing would be awesome too.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

Nothing to contribute apart from I love your logic lol. NO MOAR RAM NEW PC HOOOOOOOO :D

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Yeah lmao, it's old enough to need a replacement so yeah.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Hello, heres some tips :

You can try and go with a quad core. The price should be around the e8500 you currently have.
    If she like to youtube, photoshop, wow and video edit all at the same time it will be perfect. Also quad core is the future, go for it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115131 (Same price)

I think P5QL Pro have some issues with the g.skill ram. You can try and get the P5Q Pro instead or go down. (P5Q Pro > P5QL Pro).
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813131299R (Rebate atm!)

For the graphic card something in the 9600 - 9900 should do the job for what she does.
    A 9800gt is about the same thing. Maybe less juice but cost around 100$.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150316 (100$)

For the case, 300 is good but the 900 is a nice upgrade. The 300 has 2 stock fans and the 900 got 4. Also the 900 got some fancy things that make it look just superb.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129064 (Come with 650w PSU)

Thats about it. Good luck!

EDIT : I see no hard drives! 500gb one should do I guess.

EDIT 2 : Added links!

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Thanks for the links.

My current case on my pc is a 900 and I love it, however there are 2 versions of the 300, the one I linked has 4fans:

Cooling System
    80mm Fans No
    120mm Fans 1 x 120mm rear fan
    2 x 120mm TriCool blue LED front fans
    140mm Fans 1 x 140mm blue LED top fan

And for $70 thats a win. I have a HDD laying around currently so I wasn't going to get her one, although a 10k rpm would be nice^^ but like i said I go overboard so I'll prob grab a cheap 640gb 7200 like my current 2nd hdd.

I'll add those other things you linked to the build thanks.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

No prob. If you have some questions I can help.

Also, grats on 4000 post 1 post ago.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I didn't even notice post count lol.

Changed Mobo to this: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Also dropped Vista ultimate, sinte 7 comes out soon. Gonna use XP Pro she has already, and use windows 7 release candidate if i can get it. Price right now is $689.88 which I'm super happy about.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/M...px?ID=15700447

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I can't see the wish list since I have a Canadian account.
    But I know what you are getting and this is a very good price.

The Gigabyte motherboard you took is about the same specs as the P5Q Pro.
    - Asus P5Q Pro has 2 pci-e 2.0
    - Gigabyte EP45 can go up to 16gb of ram instead of 8gb.

Take note that the Asus one is ~30$ less right now because of the 49$ rebate. If you like more Gigabyte go for it but money wise, its the same thing, go with P5Q Pro.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813131299R

Just make sure the motherboard and the ram go well together.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

the p5q has ddr2 1200 ram standard, the gigabyte is 1366+/1066 and is one of the higher rated ones on newegg and it seems a lot of people get that specific gskill with it which is also one of the highest rated rams.

And yeah I do like gigabyte lol. My main pc is running a rampage though, nothing compares to that but it's too much for her lol. Main reason for choosing is compatibility, shouldn't have any issues going this way.

Last night she got her wow working well with addons, no problems, but she still NEEDS at least upgrades. Shes running like a 2.3core2 non-duo lol, as well as an 80gb HDD with 2gb ram, I think shes getting some bottlenecking issues so a new PC isn't a bad idea since if I want to upgrade it's going to be ram+cpu+hdd+mobo etc rather just go for it all since it's only going to cost 600ish. Can't be beat.