+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by BRP View Post
    The towns clearly show a MMO set up. Koreans do love that PvP. It will have plenty of reason to be called MMO.

EDIT:

WoW is more korean.
    nice try, won't bait me though

Banned.

BG Level

Consider why we bash Korean MMOs. Just by looking at the battle system here alone, more of those qualities will be found in WoW than CotN. Even if it had a shitload of grinding and a money shop(too soon to tell,) it will be less of a Korean MMORPG, because it isn't even a "RPG" in that sense. (WoW already has a shitload of grinding and a godawful battle system)

On a partially unrelated note: Money shops are usually a good thing imo. They are often done sensible and make the game free. Usually what kills the games is how boring they are.

(Gearing up will be less tedious if only because your "defense" stats are going to mean a whole lot less.)

blax n gunz
    BG Level

It's Massively Multiplayer Dynasty Warriors.

Or, Diablo with Jumping Around.

Meh.

Banned.

BG Level

I prefer Monster Hunter: The adventures of Korean Gene (Godhand)

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

This looks like Lunia if it wasn't shitty in most every way.

I was under the impression that the reason we bash Korean MMOs primarily was because of the grind being really bad (which makes the game tedious/boring/whatever), and to a lesser extent the fact that most of the time the cash shop is implemented in a way that makes it required in some fashion for 'normal' game function.

Banned.

BG Level

Something is only really a grind if it is boring. Easily the case with point and click bullshit like WoW or Korean MMOs.

So basically: to call this game which avoids the main pitfall of MMORPGs of ANY TYPE just another "Korean" game is absurd. It is less of a Korean MMORPG than anything I've seen out of Korea or US.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Actually, I bash Korean mmos because they are fun to play for like 5 hours but I can never stick with them because they focus too much on "looking cool" vs. their actual game system, and are never worth paying for. Lvl grinding doesn't bother me.

Also Game Shield.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

On a partially unrelated note: Money shops are usually a good thing imo. They are often done sensible and make the game free. Usually what kills the games is how boring they are.
    Rohan - was a great game, was good looking, balanced classes, balanced pvp.

Cash shop came in, ruined pvp. Had to buy exp talismans to even get past the grind of 33+.

PW - potential to be a good game, turned to shit with the CS which ruined pvp because if you didn't have heiros from it, you would die in seconds.

All follow the basic patterns of any Korean MMO; it comes out, it gathers a decent fanbase, devs gauge their reaction to the game, LOLCASHSHOP comes in.

Not that I am saying this game will follow that, just saying name one korean MMO that hasn't.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Actually, I bash Korean mmos because they are fun to play for like 5 hours but I can never stick with them because they focus too much on "looking cool" vs. their actual game system, and are never worth paying for.
    Sounds like Aion

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerios View Post
    Sounds like Aion
    I bet you never got into any of the betas.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Leb View Post
    I bet you never got into any of the betas.
    I bet I pre-ordered and did play the betas.

That shit's canceled now, though

Banned.

BG Level

"looking cool" vs. their actual game system
    Look at the video that shows the controls. The looking cool is built right into the "actual game system."

Leb,

I don't fully understand your examples, but they seem to follow my template.

Even if they didn't have a money shop these games would still be incredibly shitty because their PvE content sucked. These money shops never matter in the long run because you will stop playing the game due to boredom. (If the game didn't suck, then the money shop would still not matter because all you would be doing is skipping over parts you'd like to do.)

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerios View Post
    Sounds like Aion
    ya pretty much, everyone got my hopes up that aion was gonna be different. So we pre-ordered it only to see it's the same o' shit just prettier than before!

already uninstalled. Why pay when you can play FlyFF, Silk Road, Grandia Espada, Perfect World, etc. etc. which are basically the same, and free!

Something is only really a grind if it is boring. Easily the case with point and click bullshit like WoW or Korean MMOs.

So basically: to call this game which avoids the main pitfall of MMORPGs of ANY TYPE just another "Korean" game is absurd. It is less of a Korean MMORPG than anything I've seen out of Korea or US.
    I agree, but while I don't know if it applies to this game in particular I think there's a fundamental difference in the way MMOs are designed in Korea vs. elsewhere, to some extent it seems like Korean MMOs view the leveling up process as a larger part of the game experience (with comparatively less endgame content) rather than a hindrance that player's can (typically) overcome more quickly before moving on to bigger/better things. At least that's the way I've understood it, that in Korean MMOs hitting the max level took a lot more effort (and several months longer) but focuses more on the journey than the destination, I guess.

Banned.

BG Level

Good thing this game plays nothing like Aion or

FlyFF, Silk Road, Grandia Espada, Perfect World, etc. etc.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Good thing this game plays nothing like Aion or
    glad you can see in the trailers (which I watched) that it's gonna have mad content and not just "look cool" which it pretty much does from my point of view. XD

Banned.

BG Level

Tell me Ksandra, is Devil May Cry a game about only "looking cool?" I wonder what is the difference between doing cool things and looking cool. (I don't know, maybe cutscenes lol)

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerios
    I bet I pre-ordered and did play the betas.

That shit's canceled now, though
    So, 10? 15?

Ever get to any pvp? Or based solely on solo PVE content? I just adore people who base their opinions on a game after only a few levels or having not even played it more then an hour.

Good thing this game is going to fail just like

FlyFF, Silk Road, Grandia Espada, Perfect World, etc. etc.

Banned.

BG Level

Actually, it looks to be one of the more anticipated titles for the Korean market. So it looks like they will have their funds. Hopefully it will inspire MMOs to move forward if successful enough.