BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by urat View Post
    So who here actually quested their lu shangs?
    / .... i was told the KI was the important part of the lu shang, that all the bonus from lu shang came from it - that was some time ago lol -, so a friend and i did our quest one after another, and he gave me his when he stopped xD

Tecan

Tecan - Fenrir

I got mine in December of 2008.
    1/349 Lik
    1/31 Gugru

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

man i like that first post getting updated so much

Hipster Fisherman
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Turned in 36 today, still no luck. 0/410.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

Obtained: 06/07/2009

Lik 1/94
    Gugrusaurus 1/85

Also quested my Lu Shang.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Lik 0/704

Turned like 60 yesterday on New Moon.

I think I quit Ebi quest, it's starting to be ridiculous specially when apparently lots of people go 1/xx.

*ahem* *rolleyes*

Edit: Sorry about the bitching, but I am pissed off at this quest.

Forum Donator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Albender View Post
    Lik 0/704

I think I quit Ebi quest, it's starting to be ridiculous specially when apparently lots of people go 1/xx.

*ahem* *rolleyes*

It took me over 200 for each one of my fish (and I did it twice).

The smallest I think I turned in was 250. The most was I think 400 Gugrus for my final ebisu part. I've turned in more fish in one day than a LS member needed for his entire rod. That was annoying.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

keep going

its worth it and is an accomplishment

those people who lucky on fishes prolly had their share of bad luck elsewhere

irl friend 1/9 gugs now, but he got at least 5 haguns lesser than me in ENM!

S N K
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Mefya on Fairy has one. A guy who left the game ages ago named Sevond on Fairy had one as well.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Maiev

Currently 1/30 Lik, 0/611 Gugru
    Not even done with the quest, already in the top 25% of worst ebisu stats.

Hipster Fisherman
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Albender View Post
    Lik 0/704

*ahem* *rolleyes*

Yo~

As you can see from my sig (as of 8/14 at least), I'm starting to "know what you mean," only I'm stuck on gugrusaurus, and have one of the ebisu items so far. You'd think having one item done would give me the incentive and drive to finish the other one, but damned if I don't feel like quitting now as well! I'm pretty well broke now, since I'm buying gugrus for 18-20k; asked my supplier if we could go down to 15k, but not sure whether they like the idea or not ;x According to your LJ, you're buying liks for 5k from an LS friend, which is an awesome deal, both economically (cheap fish) and socially (helping out someone you know)!

I feel you on the topic of seeing so many people report these great records on how many fish it took them to get ebisu. It's been mentioned before that there is probably a response bias, where a majority of the people who report their scores are those who feel their numbers were "below the norm," and they want other to recognize it as such. Someone who goes 1/200 on gugrus and 1/200 on liks isn't likely to report anything, because no one is going to comment on that track-record; it seems pretty "average" according to the numbers wiki provides (though wiki, too, is susceptible to response bias). This says nothing of the overall sample size of the ebisu population; since the last survey, there are probably over 1,000 ebisu holders, and yet the number of people who frequent BG, much less those who report they have ebisu, is probably in the tens.

But even recognizing this, it still irritates me to see all these good records as well, and I have to keep on reevaluating if I want to even finish the quest. As with MMOs in general, it's hard to stop playing (or fishing) after having put in so much time, effort, and money, even if you aren't enjoying it anymore. And I'll admit, I think that's a majority of the reason why I want ebisu now: Not to fish, not to make money, but to "complete" one area of my life that has not yet been laid to rest, one that I have invested so much mental power in. Typing that out, I really ought to consider quitting the quest as my best option, but it would certainly be a lot tougher or a quest than getting the second item.

Anyways, I'm rambling. I'm not sure what I can offer you because it sounds like our problems are similar. You can avoid this thread (as I considered doing) and all the "1/67 1/90" announcements, but even then, you'll still find the occasional announcement in other threads (hell, I'll admit that at this point, I'm kind of bitter by seeing someone getting their ebisu regardless of their record; not bitter at the person, mind you, just bitter at my situation). Also, another important thing to remember is that there might be an equal number of people who quit the ebisu quest, compared to those who finish it; those who quit are not likely to report their leaving the quest, but it doesn't make it any less of a viable option.

Wish I could help. Lemme know what happens~

-Nibu

Hipster Fisherman
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Here's something I wrote a little over a year ago on the titanictus.com forums. It was in regards to the OP having gone 0/330 on lik, and wanting to know how people "stay motivated."

---

I'm 0/198 on liks, 0/72 on gugrus.

Although I don't have any specific advice on "how I stay motivated" (and, in fact, I'm losing my motivation as my penguin charges dwindle), I'd like to draw our attention to an NPC that is near and dear to all of us fishermen, fisherwomen, and fishergalka: Panja-Nanja. I believe he offers some words of encouragement that we can all use at some time or another:

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9550/panjaiz3.jpg

Now, what makes this even more remarkable is that this is coming from a fisherman who has NEVER CAUGHT A FISH since the dawn of Vana'diel. If you don't believe me, pay him a visit and watch him!

He's the laughingstock at the guild, but that doesn't bother him. His guild partners make jest, saying that he forgot to put bait on his hook, and that he's just too stubborn to reel in his line to assuage their suspicions. But that's besides the point. He keeps on fishing, believing that sooner or later, he'll finally land something (Pamtam kelp or otherwise).

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5876/tarufishcp7.jpg

Sometimes, it's best if we all just "close our eyes" for awhile~

---

At that time, I was a bit more optimistic I think ;x I'm not sure whether my post helped/helps now, as it is a tad bit tacky, but eh, need something light-hearted in this thread.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by S N K View Post
    Mefya on Fairy has one.
    Shows how long ago you left. Mefya is no longer of Fairy. Alas, Mefya is no longer of FFXI.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

after my dry spell with gugrusaur i am starting to wonder if this rod is worth the effort. yes its nice that it wont break. and i will agree its a big accomplishment.
    but after seeing what looks like a slow down in lik and gugru sale on my sever. what good is being able to fish up gugs and lik of they stop selling?

keep in mind im still trying but i have come down with the "wtf fishy blues" (/_\)

lik 1/246 gug 0/109
    ps still havent been able to land a gug since last update.. lol and yet i kick the snot out of lik w

Hipster Fisherman
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Struck an interesting deal with one of my good gugru suppliers on Carby.

I'm going to give him my Blau Dolch if A. He gives me a gugru that yields an item within the first 150 fish, or B. He gives me 150 gugru that do not yield the item. If I get the item within the first 150 gugru, he gets to keep the rest of his fish, and he gets my blau.

With Blau at 2.2m on my server, and gugrus at 20k, the breakdown of this deal is as follows:

-If I get the item within the first 110 fish, my supplier will have made more than or equal to the AH price.
    -If I get the item after 110, I'll be getting an increasingly good discount. At 150 fish, I will have "bought" each gugru for 14,666g.

Not the greatest discount, and others on other servers might have offered me a better deal, but the gugru market is fairly strong at 20k on Carby, so it's tough to strike a deal with suppliers at the moment. I tried doing the same deal with getting 200 gugru, then 165, but no dice.

I also consider it win-win in my case: If I don't get the item, I got a good deal on gugrus. If I get the item from the first fish (a 2.2m gil fish...), I'll be happy I finished the quest (a bit sad I lost that much gil...but I'll be more happy than sad ). I think this is one of those weird cases where the supplier WANTS the buyer to get his item sooner rather than later.

Edit: Spelling

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Maiev

Interesting proposition nibu, we'll see how it works out for ya.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

ah my bad LOL forgot to post my server

server: Ramuh

edit: I have so many /tells about fish that i cant even fish for everyone anymore. In fact i have no time to fish at all with work >.> went from 20 hours to around 50 this week + my home work i do as normal.

i am happy if anyone gets their rod there is always someone else after it^^ lol GL an dhope it pans out for you.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

i hate to ask this again but have any of you been catching gugs with lushang and the 2 rings since the update or are you all just buying them?so far i still cant get them much past 50/40% at best no matter what moon phase i fish.

if you are please share some info ^^;

Hipster Fisherman
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by smokerx View Post
    i hate to ask this again but have any of you been catching gugs with lushang and the 2 rings since the update or are you all just buying them?so far i still cant get them much past 50/40% at best no matter what moon phase i fish.

if you are please share some info ^^;
    I started catching gugrus a few weeks ago. PC running at around 16FPS + Albatross + Penguin + Apron, +4 fishing skill via gear, 100 natural fishing skill, "overwhelming" water energy w/Moglification: Fishing, and occasionally Adv. fishing support when I remember (I haven't noticed a difference with/without it; might help with lessening "Lack of skill" messages). And yes, still using Lu Shang. Fishing mostly occurs on or around new and full moons.

I can drain em pretty well this way. I'd say 50% of the time, I can drain them all the way without getting the "time" warning; 30% I can drain all the way, but shortly after the time warning; 20% I have to reel in at <10% stamina left. I've only had it occur once or twice where I tried reeling it in at >10%, which amounted in a "lack of skill" message, while at the same time the "line snap" animation occurred. (Normally, Lack of skill allows you to keep your bait if you sufficiently drained the fish). These are rough estimates; I have all the data typed up in a .txt file, so I will throw it in a spreadsheet and post my overall results at a later time.

I use the "tapping" method to drain gugs. Also, I've noticed that the maximum time the rod will stay positioned either to the right or left is 2.5 "rod swings" (that is: Your character pulls the rod back/lets it move towards center (one cycle), he does it again (second cycle), the next time he starts pulling the rod = rod will return to center position).

The last time I was out, I also realized how much stamina I was giving back to the fish by accidentally continuing to tap once or twice when the rod returned to the center. That being the case, whenever my character went through two "rod swing" cycles when the rod was in the right/left position, I would stop tapping, even if the rod didn't immediately return to the center position. This helped a little bit.

That's about all I can offer atm. I haven't had too much experience with gugs; I think I've only fished ~80 of them up.

Best of luck!
    -Nibu

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

thanks alot ^^y sounds like i need to work on my fight skills w

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast