FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Maiev

Obtained: Saber Shoot!

Final score:
    1/30 Lik
    1/650 Gugrusaurus

Obtained on a toasty Watersday afternoon 71% moon while turning in a 1767[Pz] fish.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by smokerx View Post
    i hate to ask this again but have any of you been catching gugs with lushang and the 2 rings since the update or are you all just buying them?so far i still cant get them much past 50/40% at best no matter what moon phase i fish.

if you are please share some info ^^;
    im pretty sure u must use penguin ring for gugs if your using lushang

i consider myself a very good self-proclaimed fish fighter but lushang w/o penguin on gugs made me rage and give up fishing gugs totally

i can deplete them like 30% of the time.....but all with timing out message

on top of that, snap, break rod, lack of skill etc is the real reason i give up

"FUCK YEA 0%!!!!!"
    *presses enter*
    You broke your rod/line/lack of skill x100
    *rageeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

i didnt have any moghancement back then tho.only pure 99+5 when i tried before i got ebisu

sure was hell of a time

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Hey Arthars, can't remember what you said about this before.
    1. Was there a noticeable difference adding signboard on depletion
    2. Was there a noticeable difference adding overwhelming water energy vs not overwhelming?

@Smokerx - Don't give up trying different slow down techniques, it took me awhile to figure out what works for me. Just this morning I realized I had cpukiller (Greedy Algorith) at 2% slow down which gets FPS down to about 15 and I couldn't reel them in very easily at all. Changed it to my normal 1% which gets FPS to about 18-22 and I can once again reel them in without much effort using only Ebisu + Albatross. I know you don't have ebisu and you will need penguin's, but my point was something as minor as 1% difference slow down on cpukiller makes all the difference for me.

Faster than Walt Flanagan's Dog
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by urat View Post
    So who here actually quested their lu shangs?
    I quested my Lu, got it 7/21/09. Probably 60/40 fishing up/buying carps. Currently working on a 2nd Lu on my mule account, just fishing on it whenever waiting for events to start or bored. Going to fish up all 10k on this one, @ 2k now, probably won't finish until early 2010.

At lvl 58 fishing now so still a bit before I start Ebisu.

Seicz

I just received my Ebisu this morning.

My final count ended up being:
    Gugrusaurus - 1/26
    Lik - 1/385

Incidentally, my friend went 1/67 on Silk from the Lik I had left over from my trades.

I want to thank dejet(Jeyman) and Konoko for all the fish they sold me. Also would like to thank my friend Turpin for lending me almost all the money to accomplish this, cdgreg for posting a no-brainer leveling guide, and everyone in the fishing thread; your success stories kept me motivated.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by cdgreg View Post
    Hey Arthars, can't remember what you said about this before.
    1. Was there a noticeable difference adding signboard on depletion
    2. Was there a noticeable difference adding overwhelming water energy vs not overwhelming?
    i asked some pages back but no replies...

i will test this myself

@25k to signboard ^^

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by urat View Post
    I bot fished, so I didn't even have to be home or awake!
    Fixed that for ya champ.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Seicz View Post
    I want to thank dejet(Jeyman) and Konoko for all the fish they sold me. Also would like to thank my friend Turpin for lending me almost all the money to accomplish this, cdgreg for posting a no-brainer leveling guide, and everyone in the fishing thread; your success stories kept me motivated.
    Congrats, and whoo hoo honorable mention!

S N K
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Aemora View Post
    Shows how long ago you left. Mefya is no longer of Fairy. Alas, Mefya is no longer of FFXI.
    Oh damn never knew about that. Did you ever finish your full morrigan's yet or did you finally take that break you were talking about?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by S N K View Post
    Oh damn never knew about that. Did you ever finish your full morrigan's yet or did you finally take that break you were talking about?
    Dude, I am 14/15 on both Morrigan and Marduk, and with the shell looking like it's going to stop in a month (I'm starting University, can't stay up til 4am 4 nights a week to lead), looks like I won't get either Lv35 Feet for full completion. Frogs and Dekka are just a fucking bitch...

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by nibu View Post
    Yo~

As you can see from my sig (as of 8/14 at least), I'm starting to "know what you mean," only I'm stuck on gugrusaurus, and have one of the ebisu items so far. You'd think having one item done would give me the incentive and drive to finish the other one, but damned if I don't feel like quitting now as well! I'm pretty well broke now, since I'm buying gugrus for 18-20k; asked my supplier if we could go down to 15k, but not sure whether they like the idea or not ;x According to your LJ, you're buying liks for 5k from an LS friend, which is an awesome deal, both economically (cheap fish) and socially (helping out someone you know)!

I feel you on the topic of seeing so many people report these great records on how many fish it took them to get ebisu. It's been mentioned before that there is probably a response bias, where a majority of the people who report their scores are those who feel their numbers were "below the norm," and they want other to recognize it as such. Someone who goes 1/200 on gugrus and 1/200 on liks isn't likely to report anything, because no one is going to comment on that track-record; it seems pretty "average" according to the numbers wiki provides (though wiki, too, is susceptible to response bias). This says nothing of the overall sample size of the ebisu population; since the last survey, there are probably over 1,000 ebisu holders, and yet the number of people who frequent BG, much less those who report they have ebisu, is probably in the tens.

But even recognizing this, it still irritates me to see all these good records as well, and I have to keep on reevaluating if I want to even finish the quest. As with MMOs in general, it's hard to stop playing (or fishing) after having put in so much time, effort, and money, even if you aren't enjoying it anymore. And I'll admit, I think that's a majority of the reason why I want ebisu now: Not to fish, not to make money, but to "complete" one area of my life that has not yet been laid to rest, one that I have invested so much mental power in. Typing that out, I really ought to consider quitting the quest as my best option, but it would certainly be a lot tougher or a quest than getting the second item.

Anyways, I'm rambling. I'm not sure what I can offer you because it sounds like our problems are similar. You can avoid this thread (as I considered doing) and all the "1/67 1/90" announcements, but even then, you'll still find the occasional announcement in other threads (hell, I'll admit that at this point, I'm kind of bitter by seeing someone getting their ebisu regardless of their record; not bitter at the person, mind you, just bitter at my situation). Also, another important thing to remember is that there might be an equal number of people who quit the ebisu quest, compared to those who finish it; those who quit are not likely to report their leaving the quest, but it doesn't make it any less of a viable option.

Wish I could help. Lemme know what happens~

-Nibu

Heya Nibu,

Thanks for your message which sure encourages me to continue this (ridiculous imo) quest.
    At least you got Opal Silk ! Better than me ^^ That 5k deal is dead long ago. Was active two days only lol.
    When seller realized he could make 2.5x the Gil selling to others, he stopped offering to me of course.

I am now buying Liks at 9,000. Quest returns 880 Gil so that is 8,120 Gil apiece. As it happens the problem here
    is just Gil. I bought ALL 704 fishes. Some of them higher than 10,000 Gil. I calculate I already wasted 6.5-7.0 millions Gil
    for nothing at best. It is quite frustrating.

I just got {Fisherman} 85 so no chance to fish them myself. (Serpent Rumors : O) I a not sure I even want to try when I got some
    extra levels since all I read are stories on how hard it is to catch them, etc…

So imo, you get Ebisu if you:

1) Got extremely lucky, aka 1/XX.
    2) Got a friend with Ebisu fishing them for you for free.
    3) Got LOTS of millions to spend and keep buying fish like crazy until you just get drop from Zaldon.
    4) Fish them yourself when you got to 100 and of course level WW to at least 68. (In my case delevel my Cooking 100)

Your thoughts are exactly mines. Feeling bitter at other’s Rods, not because of them, because of my Bad Luck+1 with the quest.

The thing is there’s nothing we can do lol. Avoid to read the thread will not improve our luck but honestly, I started to begin many of those 1/XX may be even BS.

On a funny note, did you already become paranoid? Examples:

- Check if you already got the item. (Don’t forget Mog Locker lol)
    - Trade ONLY during Full Moon / New Moon
    - Trade naked
    - Trade naked + all your gear/stuff on your Mog House
    - /bow to Zaldon before trading

{/sigh}

BTW, thanks for reading the LJ. It’s nothing special tho, I’m sure there’s hundreds of better blogs

http://albender.livejournal.com/

By the way, if anybody wants to help out in Ragnarok, please /t me

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

just for the hell of it i did quest my Lu shang as well got the key item and everything !_!

to the guy above me. you left one option out

fish for gil and buy like 5-10 a day depend on your server. at a avg or 200. On AVG you would get it in 20 days. if you went 0/1000+ it take you around 4 months of nash fishing.

its not all that bad if you want it that bad.

so about 40 days of fishing for the normal person. that is less then it would take to fish up the lu shang yourself (all 10000 carp)

you seem to think the quest is all gil based... its not at all. ya having a load of gil helps. hell it helps with anything in this game. But there are many other ways to get around it like having WW lvled(how is that gil WW to 80 is cheap) and fisher in the past had to have wood lvled just about. lik/gugs on the AH is a new thing less then a year old i would say

Hipster Fisherman
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Albender View Post
    On a funny note, did you already become paranoid? Examples:

- Check if you already got the item. (Don’t forget Mog Locker lol)
    - Trade ONLY during Full Moon / New Moon
    - Trade naked
    - Trade naked + all your gear/stuff on your Mog House
    - /bow to Zaldon before trading

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3 and 4. Not yet. I've been equipping all my fishing skill+ gear when I trade to him.
    5. Yes

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

all i can say is you are really close nibu

in FFXI, theres only a phrase i call "Sooner or later"

how many friends have i seen QQing over morrigan robes, usu body(like myself), etc etc etc for 261826238 days, and then eventually are wearing them now

your day will come, your numbers are now at a "anytime" mode now

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

its sooner or later or got banned ...

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    My message got deleted, likely due to {screenshot}.
    Anyway, got my Opal Silk yesterday 1/746.
    Pic uploaded in my FFXIAH.com profile.
    Thanks Nibu, your message encouraged me to keep trading and I finally got some luck.

Gugrusaurus time now.

Hipster Fisherman
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Arthars View Post
    all i can say is you are really close nibu

in FFXI, theres only a phrase i call "Sooner or later"

how many friends have i seen QQing over morrigan robes, usu body(like myself), etc etc etc for 261826238 days, and then eventually are wearing them now

your day will come, your numbers are now at a "anytime" mode now
    Hehe, thanks for the encouragement! I have 101 gugrus ready to turn in tomorrow (during full moon, lightsday), and just in case that doesn't do the trick, I have a full supply of meatballs to fish with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahkow View Post
    its sooner or later or got banned ...
    Well, I haven't given them any reason to ban me, so hopefully the latter doesn't happen However, a couple days ago I found out that the credit card I use to pay for my FFXI account had its information stolen (canceled it already), so I need to go through the trouble of getting another card, and then having to jump through the extra security hoops SE set up. Worst case scenario, I'll have to cancel my ID temporarily at the end of the month until I get things set up correctly, but I'll try to avoid doing that. I don't want to give any reason for SE to give me the stink eye.

Hipster Fisherman
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Albender View Post
    My message got deleted, likely due to {screenshot}.
    Anyway, got my Opal Silk yesterday 1/746.
    Pic uploaded in my FFXIAH.com profile.
    Thanks Nibu, your message encouraged me to keep trading and I finally got some luck.

Gugrusaurus time now.
    Holy crap, awesome!

I hope some of that luck trickles down to me for tomorrow ^^

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

ignore ahkow

his my cousin and got banned by SE for shouting nigger and creating a mule call blackestman lmao

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Cjkenji got hers on 08/09/2009 Carbuncle server obviously~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast