• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Just got home from work. DSL light was still flashing red, so I reset it. Flashed green, then went green solid:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/535197658.png

Then flashed red for a bit (no internet), then went green again. Now it's red as I'm typing this so this post is going to get lost to the fucking abyss unless I wait til it's green again godfuckingdamnitwhatthefuck

At least there's some measure of progress I guess.

Ok it's green again I think maybe here goes...

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to leave the modem on for 5-7 days when you first get DSL. It does some sort of line calibration or something, I don't know, but it's probably mentioned in one of the installation manuals they gave you. Also make sure you have filters on whatever else is connected to the line.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

This is why I never move into new places unless Comcast / Fios is available

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Well Archi, call Att since I am VERY sure you are getting an Low Bit Rate/ Int. Sync issue. Again, call the tech support and raise hell

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Well Archi, call Att since I am VERY sure you are getting an Low Bit Rate/ Int. Sync issue. Again, call the tech support and raise hell
    What I said yesterday! Dooo eeeet

BG Level

http://www.speedtest.net/result/536088335.png

Here's basically where I've been at the past 48 hours. It's not awesome speed or anything, but it's basically what I'm paying for (the upload could be a little faster but whatever). I'm content for now.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Chatted with archibaldcrane on AIM for a bit, trying to see why his upload was so low. He should have 384 but he's only provisioned 160.

His stats:
    Current Noise Margin: 6.0 dB (Downstream) 6.0 dB (Upstream)
    Current Attenuation: 63.0 dB (Downstream) 31.5 dB (Upstream)
    Low SNR is probably causing that. Trying to figure out the name of that thing that if at&t removed it... his SNR would improve. If anybody sees this and knows help me/him out. lol

Edit: Bridge Tap? I think that's it.

BG Level

God, Metal Gear Online is totally unplayable like this, my lag is always in the red (I'm assuming from the upload speed?)

This fucking sucks. I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can do anything about it. Web browsing is fine and normal for me, but online vidya gaems aren't werkin.

BG Level

I called, they did a remote diagnostic and called back asking "is everything better? press 0 if you need to talk to a tech... *bloop*" got a guy on the phone, he ran a check, said it looked like there was a bad splicer or bridge tap causing interference, they're sending out a guy tomorrow to take a look.

Hopefully that should help.

Now, specifically regarding my Metal Gear Online lag - is that an upload, download, both, ping (I honestly don't -exactly- know what ping is) or what issue? If my upload speeds get doubled (to .3 Mbps or so) will I experience much less lag? I don't really know what the bottleneck is when it comes to online gaming really, but I'd love to be able to play MGO like normal again.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

It's both upload and download. You need free bandwidth for the steady stream of info that goes back and forth while you're playing an online game. Ping is just how long it takes small packets of data to get from your machine to the remote server and back. A ping of <100ms is optimal.

If there is interference going on like the tech said, that could certainly influence your gaming lag. If he gets that sorted out you should be good to go.

BG Level

Guy came, said that at the box in my building it was reading that I should be getting 384 upload. Said there was a slight ground on the line that could be causing the occasional disconnects, and there was a bridge tap. He put me on a different line or something without the bridge tap while I was at work.

And now I'm home and have no Internet, just a flashing red light. Awesome.

/sigh

Call again tomorrow I guess...

BG Level

Ok so

http://www.speedtest.net/result/538429807.png

Considering what I'm paying for (1.5 down, 384 Kbps up) I'm satisfied. Thanks for the help guys.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vega Castro
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

http://www.speedtest.net/result/538450631.png

I love to cap my upload speeds.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Ping is the time in milliseconds it takes for you to send a packet of data to a target server and have it send a response back. The higher that is, the more delay there is between you and the server, which will show you how much lag you are getting. Upload speeds being slow can contribute to this, as the server won't receive instructions as fast as you want to send them, but it's also a matter of how many relay stations you have to go through to reach the server, how loaded they are with other traffic, and how fast they are.

BG Level

When I display a red bar in MGO, I was under the impression that's a result of ping, right?

I haven't tried MGO yet with these new speeds (working alot these days) but I will when I get home. Hopefully it will be functional.