+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 99 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

Maybe a silly question, but is there a way to play this game with a controller instead of the mouse/keyboard controls?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/

Tried it the other day and it doesn't get blocked by Gameguard, but it's really weird. I set it up exactly like FFXI which makes you have to manually click abilities, which is really slow. I can see maybe using it to solo grind, chilling back in your chair, but that's about it.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't map well to a controller, but a friend was really wanting to play with a controller. He's used to FFXI and has never played a PC game with a keyboard/mouse, he's kinda scared of it. I forwarded him that link, thanks~

The Dazzler
    BG Level

Never played a PC game with a keyboard/mouse...? Woooooooooooooow.

That having been said, there's way too much shit going on with this game compared to FFXI to even debate using a controller in my opinion.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Few questions before I decide whether or not to buy:

How does guild calendaring work out? The last thing I want is to go from a game where I set my own schedule, by and large (WoW) to a game where I have to sit in another 'Dragon's Aery' for 3 hours waiting on a 24 hour world PvE target. Are the hardest of the hardcore going to be at 4-5am events because that's when mobs respawn?

How essential is grouping to levelling a healer class? I'm particularly interested in joining a guild from the get go and rolling a healer/buffer class like I did in FFXI but if I have to solo stuff am I like I was on BRD for 10 levels, poking at stuff ineffectually with a dagger and hoping I don't get mauled by more than one mob?

The Dazzler
    BG Level

Worldspawns, at least as I saw it, can be helpful but I don't think they have integral items. I don't actually know the pop timers to stuff but I know most NMs that I saw were at least on a couple hour timer. Most of your time it seems like will be doing instances or group PvP which is whenever your guild schedules it.

You'll get the most XP out of grinding elites in groups, and if you rolled a cleric or a chanter from what I've seen you'd be pretty high demand. Soloing is a lot like RDM, you can kill some pretty high shit that most people can't kill but it takes forever.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Tythera View Post
    Worldspawns, at least as I saw it, can be helpful but I don't think they have integral items. I don't actually know the pop timers to stuff but I know most NMs that I saw were at least on a couple hour timer. Most of your time it seems like will be doing instances or group PvP which is whenever your guild schedules it.

You'll get the most XP out of grinding elites in groups, and if you rolled a cleric or a chanter from what I've seen you'd be pretty high demand. Soloing is a lot like RDM, you can kill some pretty high shit that most people can't kill but it takes forever.
    I'm not convinced that elites are the *best* xp, depending on if you want to waste pots and what job you are. Elites were giving me 20k each, but they took a long time to pull and a long time to kill. Normal mobs I can rape in 20-30 sec were giving me 7k each. However it is a nice change of pace from those 7k/ea mobs.

Even the person soloing kaiden elites for 100k each took 20 min. In that amount of time I can kill 30-40 mobs at 7k each for a cool 200k+ (at lvl 26).

The Dazzler
    BG Level

You're probably right, but it is a change of pace I suppose. Cleric or Chanter have no problem soloing for good XP from what I've seen though I don't know how high that lasts.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Krenna View Post
    Does anybody know where this comes from? ( Researcher's Breastplate - Items - Aion ) I got one off the Auction House during OB but neither Aionarmory nor Aiondatabase lists where it comes from. Would love to get another for Live, just to modify onto something better. (This is the coolest non-40+ Plate armor I have found thus far.)
    Maybe try lepharist mobs, but I'm not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coren View Post
    Even the person soloing kaiden elites for 100k each took 20 min.
    I was soloing them as ranger in OB and I never had sleep arrow recast (3 min) ready twice during a fight. Only problem is pulling the bastards.

Grinding elites in a group is definitely faster than questing/solo grinding. Not to mention you get nice drops.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tythera View Post
    You're probably right, but it is a change of pace I suppose. Cleric or Chanter have no problem soloing for good XP from what I've seen though I don't know how high that lasts.
    So the question becomes, if I roll a Chanter at level 1 is the exp during the noobie levels fine or am I better off finding some pure DPS class to buff and duo my way up the ladder?

I'm trying to measure the differences between Aion and FFXI. I distinctly remember being at a hardcore disadvantage as a subjobless caster in the first few levels.

The Dazzler
    BG Level

There's only 4 classes up to 10, then you switch to your specialty. On the way to 10, mage is the quickest I found but you can most of them to that point in about 2 hours, or less if you're good. Up until about 17-19 when classes really start to come into their own and you hit the group quests there's not any difficulty leveling any class solo, and even at that point you could skip the group quests and grind yourself to 19 or 20 for the higher zones. You could ask Coren or one of the other people who leveled chanter into the mid to upper 20s in the betas but I don't think he ran into any problems killing things for quests or grinding solo. You're probably at an advantage over some classes in that you can heal yourself easily on shorter cooldowns than herb treatment or bandages.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Veyron Snow
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Priest > Cleric & Chanter is nothing like Whm outside of the fact that you cast healing spells (lol, big fact). Your damage skills are scaled just as much as your healing skills, making soloing or duoing MUCH more pleasing than say, a Whm soloing.

I rolled Chanter in OBT to give it a try, it's definately interesting as I could solo elite NM's (named monsters, instead of notorious) much less elites with ease at 20, while it usually takes a group of 17-20~'s or so under 2min to kill them (depending on mob, etc). That made me interested in rolling a Chanter on release just because of the ability to solo named and get money drops. I spent/made a bit over 2m in 1 day in cbt with a Glad friend I duo'd with, and we were set for the rest of it money wise lol. But! a Glad+Cleric/Chanter (my gf) can duo just as well as a chanter could solo, just quicker & easier.

Think of a Rdm & Blm duoing say, Despot, can easily be done with just Rdm, but Blm speeds it up by a ton, can move to other Nm's faster, get more dorps, ???, profit.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Dragonmaw

So I went and preordered and made my account and everything and downloaded the launcher. Then when I try to install the game it always gives me an error that there isn't enough disc space on the HD. I have well over 30gb free but am still getting an error. Any help?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Do you get the error "Not enough physical memory"? Either you need a bigger swapfile or, what is more probable, need to redownload the launcher since it most probably got corrupted.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

So I'm planning on creating a legion with a bunch of friends after launch, and I was reading into them and I have a question about the number of members that can be in one...

I was reading about legion levels, and noticed a max number of members based on your legion's level. What I was wondering, is this number characters or accounts? Because if it's characters, a cap of 90 members for a Lv3 legion is kind of low, since each person is able to have 8 characters...

Thanks.

The Dazzler
    BG Level

It's per characters, so alts do count towards the total. That said, no idea why everyone would have the full 8 characters...

someone said the level 30wings that we get with the preorder would cost 1m kinah, true/false?

The Dazzler
    BG Level

The CE preorder wings save you that 1m kinah because they're better than the buyable level 30 wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    Few questions before I decide whether or not to buy:

How does guild calendaring work out? The last thing I want is to go from a game where I set my own schedule, by and large (WoW) to a game where I have to sit in another 'Dragon's Aery' for 3 hours waiting on a 24 hour world PvE target. Are the hardest of the hardcore going to be at 4-5am events because that's when mobs respawn?
    all the raids are pretty much pre-set times or times your group decide to go. Even Fortress vulnerability to capture is on rough scheduled times. World spawn NMs are no were near on demand as ffxi's HNMs are (but still a good source of money and some good gear, but not the best gear)

How essential is grouping to levelling a healer class? I'm particularly interested in joining a guild from the get go and rolling a healer/buffer class like I did in FFXI but if I have to solo stuff am I like I was on BRD for 10 levels, poking at stuff ineffectually with a dagger and hoping I don't get mauled by more than one mob?
    leveling priest 1-10 is accually not that bad, you get nukes (almost as good as a mage) and you got cures, just gotta pace your MP, but 1-9 with priest isn't bad at all, 10-15 on my cleric wasn't hard at all either, between the nukes I now, most solo mobs don't even touch me more then once before they're dead. I Solo'd a lv17 named quest mob as a lv 12 cleric (to give you an idea of how clerics are closer to a rdm then they are to whm)

Clerics are really amazing, I love NCsoft's approach to making powerful healer characters. If only ffxi didn't make me feel like healers(casters in general) are second fiddle to melees, I would roll a cleric, but really ffxi ruined me ever playing a healing class as a main ever again.

Aion's Cleric can take a beating like no other, There are plenty of videos of clerics soloing named mobs other classes struggle or even can't solo on youtube and the like. A clerics (while on the lower end of damage) aren't anything to write off about: a cleric catching you off guard can get you dead pretty quickly.

Cleric is like ffxi's RDM's bigger brother, more armor, brutal survivability, magic damage (less then sorcerer but still an option) basically self-sufficient with their own MP

Chanters deal more damage then a Cleric does, but they're melee damage, not magic damage. They have great survivability their buffs are great to have (especially the movement speed buff) they got weaker heals then a cleric, but it's more then enough for most solo activity and some group activity.

No class really has any serious trouble in the early levels from what I've seen except for ranger, (and scout 1-9, which is only slightly worse then the other 4 classes) but ranger and assassin pick up the pace later game, so it's almost a none-issue

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

i can confirm (from what i know) what everyone said so far about world spawns: they exist, they can have nice drops but not the best. the best pvp gear comes from the abyss, the best pve gear from crafting. so you might encounter a rival on a worldspawn once the pop conditions are common sense, but never the whole server.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 99 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast