+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Keep in mind that Satellites do't just wiz by and all just just purely visible. The night sky would stay lit up and look like some Jetsons shit if that were the case. Now mind you, I was not there when Boyiee say this is the sky, I am talking from an amateur astronomer and a Cosmolgy Grad student perspective as to what it possibly is.

I think some of you are twisting what I am saying lol. Everyone has misconception about what is in the sky and I have seen first hand people swear up and down that Venus, Jupiter, Mars and even a transiting ISS are nothing more than satellites which just is not accurate. Now you can see Satellites but trust me when I tell you seeing them wizzing about with the naked eye is extremely difficult.

Now you compound that with the fact that most cities use sodium vapor lamps that give off a shitty glare and really fuck with the night sky that makes its even harder to see with an unaided eye. Just as you look up and you can count 30 stars in really urban and heavily populated areas? When in actuality there are millions of them that are being hidden by the glare of the afore mentioned sodium vapor lamps we use nowadays.

Not trying to call anyone out or dismiss anyone so please don't take it as that, but as a Cosmologist, it drives me bat shit crazy to hear "OH YA THATS A SATELLITE, OH YEAH THATS A SATELLITE" over and over when in actuality its not. You have to look at it objectively and realize regarding space and physics not everything is as it appears, simple answers are neat and convenient but are rarely the case.

Here is a Satellite map from just half of our planet, this is what you would see every night if Satellites and space debris was that prevalent and you guys are making it seem. Then again what do I know

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...C6FEE18752.jpg

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Thousands upon Thousands of average sized Satellites, but one super massive ISS transiting the Earth. The odds are overwhelmingly in the ISS's corner.

Ill ask some of my advisers tomorrow and get their take on it.

Right, but that being said (and I don't doubt what you're saying) in my case, for instance, I counted ten of those flying things in the course of the hour- they weren't all ISS's =p I can see how it might be hard for some to view them (I have better than 20/20 vision.. not that I think it makes THAT huge a difference for something like that) but yeah.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yeah in your case idk, but the OP case I am almost positive it was the ISS. I just sent an email and posted this question to NDT since he lives in New York and would know.

HIS WORD IS LAW

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Sounds like ISS. If you have any doubts check this website:
    Human Space Flight (HSF) - Realtime Data

Enter in your Zipcode and it will give you the coordinates of flybys of Satellites including ISS and the time.
    For those of you who can't read Coordinates, there is a map option which will give you a small section of the star map and show you its course.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post

Enter in your Zipcode and it will give you the coordinates of flybys of Satellites including ISS and the time.
    For those of you who can't read Coordinates, there is a map option which will give you a small section of the star map and show you its course.

You kick ass, I totally forgot about this site lol.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post
    You kick ass, I totally forgot about this site lol.
    i agree this is fun

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Ok, It was moving WAY slower than in that clip, even if that was sped up. I mean, it was slow enough to have trouble figuring out of it was a plane or planet, also, it is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy darker out when I notice it. Think 1-4am.

It goes across the sky for at least 30min, if not most of the night. I'm not out there long enough to see how long it's actually visible, but it is a lengthy bit of time. I've seen venus before and it barely moves, this thing will move pretty far in the 10min im outside. It's really really bright, it's as if it's venus because of the brightness. But I've always been under the impression that venus would be more southeastern than this, and ive never seen it move as quickly.

Not that it moves fast, but it's faster than a planet moves lol.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Ok, It was moving WAY slower than in that clip, even if that was sped up. I mean, it was slow enough to have trouble figuring out of it was a plane or planet, also, it is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy darker out when I notice it. Think 1-4am.

It goes across the sky for at least 30min, if not most of the night. I'm not out there long enough to see how long it's actually visible, but it is a lengthy bit of time. I've seen venus before and it barely moves, this thing will move pretty far in the 10min im outside. It's really really bright, it's as if it's venus because of the brightness. But I've always been under the impression that venus would be more southeastern than this, and ive never seen it move as quickly.

Not that it moves fast, but it's faster than a planet moves lol.
    Defiantly seen the same thing.

I think it was about 2:30 when we noticed it, could have been sooner. Was sitting on a lake and it was just above the horizon by about 30-40'. It eventully disappeared behind the trees.

I'm defiantly thinking it was the ISS as it fits with the stuff on the site Tummie linked.

Was pretty neat.

On top of that, there were meteor showers happening all night. Nothing quiet like sitting on a lake in the middle of the woods, able to see on the starts and shit with that kind of stuff going on.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

I don't care if there are thousands of satellites in the sky and if you're a cosmologist or not... I know the things I saw in the night sky were satellites. Even if they're moving at 10,000mph... relative to where you're sitting on the planet and given the field of view of the sky from where you are, it's not impossible for you to see maybe 2-3 satellites in a 20 minute period and be able to see them pass.

Planes travel at around 500-600mph on average, yet from the ground they look as if they are traveling impossibly slow. I guess what I'm saying is that it's relative. So a satellite in outer space traveling at however fast it's going is going to be viewable pretty easily in a clear night sky.

edit: Here's a link with some extra info:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Astronomy...-eyes.htm?rd=1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

lol

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Said I wasn't trying to call anyone out but I guess you missed that. Not trying to play scientist vs rube either, settle down.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Oh lord, I came off as YouMad again...

Sorry. Wasn't trying to be an ass... just showing that what I saw was probably satellites. I'll just step... over here... that way...

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Oh lord, I came off as YouMad again...

Sorry. Wasn't trying to be an ass... just showing that what I saw was probably satellites. I'll just step... over here... that way...

lol no problem, I knew that seemed a bit out of character for you. No harm, no foul. Just didn't want it to seem like I was being a pompous twat is all. I was still talking to the OP in my post from last night.

No worries, its all good

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post

So just went outside at the time that site said, and me and my sister for sure saw the ISS. Pretty fucking cool shit. Whatever I saw did not move as fast as the ISS moved, idk what it was but haven't seen it in a few nights. Venus or Jupiter (whichever one is not far from the moons position) was out too and pretty bright. Pretty cool morning.

Last night around 1 or 2 am we were outside as well and looking up and we both saw something shoot across the sky, coula been a sat. or meteor but yeah, made the morning even cooler.