BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

@stargazers, What object is this in eastern sky

It's visible right now, 4:30am, eastern-ish sky on the east coast US. I see it all the time, it's brighter than a planet and moves across the sky much faster. Literally within 5-10minutes it's moved quite a bit.

At first i thought it was a plane because of how fast it was, but it is there all the time. I think Venus is more to the south and I've never seen it move nearly as much.

It's East-NE from NJ, just want to know what it is. Is the space station visible? Could it be that? I thought if that could be seen it'd only be around dawn/dusk.

Also, it's very late when I notice it, usually after 2am. Maybe I can put up a picture next time I notice it if it helps. I don't know anything about stargazing, I can only pick out simple things like Venus, so I can only provide so much info.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Trollbane

its an alien be careful

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

figured it was just a neo

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Possibly a straggler meteor from the Perseid Meteor Shower?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tearshang Pourlamour
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It's possible it might be a sattelite. From what I remember from school (lol) they are only visible towards the hours of dawn due to the suns lighting.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

It was more than likely a satellite. My girlfriend pointed it out to me (first time I've ever seen one and I'm already 28) when we were watching the Perseids. There are thousands of them visible and the easy way to tell them apart from stars or planes is that they look like moving stars and they move at a constant speed, in a straight line.

Was really cool when I saw it too. Never figured you could see one without aid.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Dude, I had a fight with a few of my friends about this shit.

I thought it was a plane because it was moving they were like "No man, it's not moving" 5 minutes later its gone.

I think it was a satellite though. It was pretty trippy to watch it though.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

International space station.

August - November it is often most visible during the early morning. Remember, it is the size of a football field and is orbiting at roughly 17, 000 mph which is why it was literally, now you see me now you don't!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I found a time lapse video in case anyone was wondering what it would look like. I have a few home pictures of it streaking across the sky from last summer ill try to find as well. Consider yourself lucky man, not many people get to see it or sadly care about what they saw.

Flies by around the 24 second mark in the clip. The video is sped up for those of you that have the attention span of a box fan, so no worries.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Fuck you it's an alien you can't prove it isn't so it must be.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Alleya View Post
    Fuck you it's an alien you can't prove it isn't so it must be.
    Ill pray for you. <3

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post
    International space station.

August - November it is often most visible during the early morning. Remember, it is the size of a football field and is orbiting at roughly 17, 000 mph which is why it was literally, now you see me now you don't!
    It didn't seem like it was going too fast. It took about 5 minutes to move probably 15 degrees out of sight.. Also, does it blink? Looked like it was blinking but I've got awful eye sight.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

I've tried looking for the ISS since I know it's visible with the naked eye... what he saw was more than likely just a satellite. The blinking effect is from the solar panels reflecting the light.

Pity... I would love to see the ISS in orbit just once before it comes down.

Silly Hat Connoisseur
    BG Level

Yeah probably a satellite. I've seen a few before, mostly early in the evening. They're awesome to watch!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Let's see, viewing something the size of a football field from 300 miles or viewing something the size of a Compact car? Not sure about what you guys do in your spare time but I have home pictures of the ISS as opposed to a standard satellite.

Mind you that there are thousands upon thousands of satellites orbiting us every second. They are difficult to see even in those vast numbers and using a telescope. I spent Friday night out in a park with my daughter and our telescope. We saw not one satellite, again I'm not sure if any one of you two frequent the night skies but you'd know how difficult that is to see.

A 17,000 mph football field vs a 10,000 mph VW Beetle flying through the night sky. The odds aren't in that favor.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Not saying it's impossible at all, just improbable being that bright and that fast.

BG is my LJ
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lovely Nirokun
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I used to live in florida on patrick air force base when i was little. It is really close to the space center dealy down there. One night, maybe halloween?, there was like this (what I can only describe as) blue eye in the sky. Light blue center, light blue ring around it. Nobody remembers seeing it And no it wasnt a dream (

Old Merits
    BG Level

Planet X .... Nibiru will kill us all.

A 17,000 mph football field vs a 10,000 mph VW Beetle flying through the night sky. The odds aren't in that favor.
    I'd love to know what's goin' on up thar then.. I sat out the other night (was supposed to be a meteor shower or something)- 10/11pm in the middle of Lake Michigan, and counted anywhere from 8-10 satellites... I can't imagine they were anything else, they were consistently straight, moving fairly fast, and relatively bright- too fast to be an airliner [no blinking lights, no visible contrails, no noise] and too slow to be.. well, a star.