+ Reply to Thread

Using PS3 controller as a PC gamepad

Thought that I would put together a little guide for setting up one of the best emulator gamepads out there. I'm connecting my ps3 controller via USB so bluetooth won't be covered in this guide. First of all, this should be a really easy process shouldn't it? Well, no, Sony decided to never release a driver for their own controller for windows so it had to be developed entirely by the community. There has been a driver out for a while that works fine if you're on a 32bit operating system found here (File Details-SIXAXIS-driver-for-PC-PlayStation-3 -). But I'm covering 64bit OS's. Mainly windows vista/7. What makes this even more difficult is that a new security feature in microsoft's 64bit OS's includes a requirement of signatured drivers. Since these drivers are developed by the people, and these things costs hundreds of dollars, the drivers aren't signed. Windows vista and Windows 7 will not allow you to install these drivers. But there is a work around, and that is what I'm going to cover. Plus a little extra.

So, materials:
    PS3 Sixaxis controller
    mini 5 pin usb a b wire
    64bit windows OS
    some time

First you must download the drivers, here is the download page (Playstation 3 controller|dualshcok 3 |sixaxis driver for windows|latest version download | MotioninJoy)

Next you must download the program which will override microsoft's security feature, (Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider 1.3b - NGOHQ.com)

This is extra, but a very good program. It will map any keyboard key to your controller, very handy since many applications don't sense your controller is plugged in. I'm uploading mine with some personal settings in it already. (MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service - click Xpadder.exe to launch the program)

Okay, you have everything downloaded. Time to install. Before installing however, you must disable UAC, google how to, its a simple process. Once UAC is disabled, open up the overrider program and enable test mode. Restart your computer. If you are in test mode, you will see some text in the bottom right hand corner of your screen. Plug your controller into your computer using the usb cable, push the PS button in the middle once.

Windows will say that the game controller has installed correctly, but it really hasn't. Now is time to install the actual driver. Double click the driver package, it will install some folders/files that you can see in your start menu under MotioninJoy. Right click "Install USB driver" and choose "run as administrator". A command dialog will pop up showing you the status of the install. After it is complete, windows might pop up a message saying that you have installed a driver which was not signed, don't worry about it.

Now you need to sign the driver, go back into the overrider program and choose sign a system file, for me, my driver file was located in

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MijUfilt.sys

It should be the same for everyone if you have your windows installed on the C: drive. Press Ok and remove the test mode watermark if you would like to as well.

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/s.../overrider.jpg

Restart your computer. Go back into the MotioninJoy folder in your start menu and open DS3 Tool. Click which mode you want, and hit enable.

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/s...lasson/ds3.jpg

Everything should be working now. Go into control panel and click hardware and sound, devices and printers, and right click your ps3 controller, game controller settings. Hit properties and press some buttons on your controller, you should see the red corresponding circles light up to your input.

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/s...asson/prop.jpg

And that's it really, enjoy playing your old school games on an awesome gamepad. :D

Master of blackface Range Rover beer bottle throwing.
    BG Level

Wow, nice find if this works. I tried getting my sixaxis/DS3 working on Vista 64 when I first got it, gave up after a few days of trying everything, glad to see someone managed to get it to work, I will definitely give it a shot as I've been using my old PS2 controller, and it is pretty worn out.

I'd tap that turian!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

So will signing the driver actually keep it installed? There used to be so many tricks to making it work, but any 64-bit flavor of windows would scream LOLNO even if you disabled the diver signing check feature.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Sticky this or something, it's really quite useful.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Omg, I wish you would have posted this thread two days earlier. It took me hours to finally end up with Motioninjoy and get it up and running on 64-bit. I still have to reboot and disable driver signature enforcement. I'm going to grab that override program now.

Great writeup.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Bluetooth version plz

Banned.

BG Level

MotionInJoy is useless imo.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one.

Quote Originally Posted by Akucaen View Post
    So will signing the driver actually keep it installed? There used to be so many tricks to making it work, but any 64-bit flavor of windows would scream LOLNO even if you disabled the diver signing check feature.
    I think signing the driver will keep it installed forever. I also kept my OS in test mode too just to make sure. It works fine after restarts/shutdowns.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rafbacca View Post
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one.
    That's nice, but MotionInJoy didn't do anything for me. I skipped it completely.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zap Brannigan
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

thank you very much for this guide, I tried to use this controller on my PC for month and never work so i gave up on it but now thank to this program i can run it. quick question i just install it and its all working, do i have to boot it up in test mode everytime i want to use it? (and i mean the test mode the driver program puts you in) or can i change it back to normal and use it?

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Had to have someone walk me through this a month or so ago.... windows7 did NOT like doing this the first couple times I tried. Eventually it all worked out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    thank you very much for this guide, I tried to use this controller on my PC for month and never work so i gave up on it but now thank to this program i can run it. quick question i just install it and its all working, do i have to boot it up in test mode everytime i want to use it? (and i mean the test mode the driver program puts you in) or can i change it back to normal and use it?
    I am still in test mode currently, but you can try it yourself and report back if it works or not with it off. I think the signing that the program does make it so windows doesn't mess mijufilt.sys anymore, but I kept it on anyways.

Also another thing I noticed, might just be my install though. Whichever USB port I had the ps3 controller in while installing the drivers, is the only one it will work with. It doesn't work with any other USB port.

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

very nice find. i already found a guide which covered this except the manual signing, so i had to choose to start windows without forced drivers signed something on each windows start.

edit: i tried to run w7 (rtm) in normal mode after signing the driver and it didn't accept the driver. at least i can leave it in test mode now without doing it manually on each startup.

p.s. don't forget to push the ps3 button on your controller before you want to use it. i spent at least 30min and multiple re-installations of the driver to figure out why it didn't work. all i had to do was pushing the button >.>

Banned.

BG Level

Sorry for the necro bump, anyone tried this lately? The new version 'phones' china for the usb driver unless you download the website mirror to your drive, mostly just wondering if my pc will turn into a china botnet down the road, seen enough stories of this actually working, but no one complaining about the 'phone-home' part.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I use it constantly. Used it for ffxi, and I'm using it now for Dragon's Nest.

I've had it for awhile though (maybe 2 years?) so not sure if my version is the same you're referring to. My version numbers are listed as 0.6.0003, so if you can still get that go for it.

Banned.

BG Level

Yep just downloaded the 0.6.0003 version which comes as an installer, and well the whole chinese bad english doesnt encourage trust

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Everything works fine w/o worrying about signatures nowadays, but even back then... lol, haven't heard of that method before but it's funny, I remember running W7 in some sort of compatibility mode was all that I needed to get the signature to work.