+ Reply to Thread
    Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

[BG Mechanics] My car door sensor is broken

My roomate slammed my car door really hard a while ago, and it broke the sensor that says if the door is open or not. So after that happened, my car would always beep to say that the door was open, even though it wasn't. And the light for it was always on.

Well...I didn't think it would drain my battery, but it did, and now my car is dead. I can find someone to jump it I'm sure, but my real question is if I go to a mechanic place how much should they charge to fix my sensor? I don't want them to overcharge me because I know nothing about it, which is something I've heard they do.

Or if any of you know how I might be able to fix it myself that'd be nice too! It's the passenger front side door. Thanks.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

It shouldn't cost too much. My advice take someone with you that knows a lot about cars so they can handle the pricing situation.

Old Merits
    BG Level

depending on how your car is wired, you might be able to pull the fuse for that particular thing. Usually there will be other systems that fall under the door ajar sensor, so it depends on how essential those are. Look in your car manual, it should say in there. If the other systems on that fuse are unimportant, then you can just yank the fuse and go on without that warning. It isn't a "fix" per se but it will prevent your battery from going dead.

Feielle

year/make/model?

90% of cars just have a small plastic and metal switch, with a single wire coming off the back of it. They're held in place with one screw, and usually cost about $5.

More luxury cars may have fancier equipment and some GM SUVs have a small lever in place of the pushbutton switch. These may be pricier.

Quote Originally Posted by Feielle View Post
    year/make/model?

90% of cars just have a small plastic and metal switch, with a single wire coming off the back of it. They're held in place with one screw, and usually cost about $5.

More luxury cars may have fancier equipment and some GM SUVs have a small lever in place of the pushbutton switch. These may be pricier.
    ^
    Follow what this person says because it looks like he/she is itching to look it up for you (very sweet).
    Buy the cheap manual for your car or look for the info online in forums. Replace it yourself by getting the parts from an autozone or the dealer, though dealers charge more for parts, if it is feasible and less expensive than hiring an auto electrician.

If you are not good with this kind of thing then go get an estimate on the repair. You should send the bill to the door slammer.

Go find a Hayne's Book for your model car. You can usually find them in any auto store. It will tell you everything you did (and didn't) want to know about your vehicle. Use that to figure out if this is something you can do yourself or not.

Banned.

BG Level

Take it to a mechanic, ask them the price of the part and the cost of labor. Price the part at carzone and add 50-75$ an hour for labor. Chances are you will pay 50-125$ for the replacement.

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

have someone go down on you

Get the book, fix yourself, profit!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Lbelle View Post
    My roomate slammed my car door really hard a while ago, and it broke the sensor that says if the door is open or not. So after that happened, my car would always beep to say that the door was open, even though it wasn't. And the light for it was always on.

Well...I didn't think it would drain my battery, but it did, and now my car is dead. I can find someone to jump it I'm sure, but my real question is if I go to a mechanic place how much should they charge to fix my sensor? I don't want them to overcharge me because I know nothing about it, which is something I've heard they do.

Or if any of you know how I might be able to fix it myself that'd be nice too! It's the passenger front side door. Thanks.
    Who cares how much it cost, your roommate broke it. Have that stupid bitch or dick pay for it.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

It's a kia 2001 sportage for those wanting to know the year/make/model and my roomate is too much of a bitch to even offer to pay for it, even though he knows he is the one that broke it.

I cant find the Door Jamb Switch for a 01 on any of the parts store sites witch is weird. First year they list one is for 06. that part is only $6 and looks to be held in by one screw.

Head down to NAPA, CarQuest, Checkers Or whoever and ask one of the sales men to come see which switch you need. I know up here they are pretty helpful, especially to a woman in distress Might have to go directly through a KIA store though.

Looks like it should be a quick 5 minute fix but most shops have a minimum charge. Up here it is around $70.

Also if you are in college your university MIGHT have a student shop. Its a garage with all the tools you could need so you can fix your car while you are away from home at college. You might run down there and see if you can find a mechanically inclined classmate to help you fix it. When I was in college a case of beer was worth about 2 hours of working on someones car.

The Flying Scotsman
    BG Level

Just because you're hot:

2001 Sportage Door Jamb Switch

Napa, O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts will all have repair manuals available; you can expect to pay around $20.00 for the book.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Lbelle View Post
    It's a kia 2001 sportage for those wanting to know the year/make/model and my roomate is too much of a bitch to even offer to pay for it, even though he knows he is the one that broke it.
    sounds like "dont get mad, get even" time! once you find out the costs to fix your door, find something of his equal value and break it! before and after pics here on BG shall suffice

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSTIC View Post
    Also if you are in college your university MIGHT have a student shop. Its a garage with all the tools you could need so you can fix your car while you are away from home at college. You might run down there and see if you can find a mechanically inclined classmate to help you fix it. When I was in college a case of beer was worth about 2 hours of working on someones car.

what he said too. infact where I live, you can sign up to have your car repaired by students in the automotive class. instructor over sees all work. all you pay for is parts cost and time you would be w/o your car.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that your advice worked out great and my car is better! I got my roomate to jump it this morning, and drove it to a car repair place...As I was parking one of the mechanics drove by and I asked where I should park because I would probably need it to be jumped again after I went into the store part, and he asked what was wrong with it. So I told him, and he was like Oh that's easy, one sec, and he fixed it in like two seconds. He said to order the new part and come back and he'd install it for me too. He was great! I offered him something for his time but he said noa and to just come back with the other part. So all in all it doesn't beep anymore and no more battery draining! Hooray!

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

What exactly did you offer him ? I'm curious.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Money.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Damn I thought this thread was starting to get spicy.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Nothing. I'm glad you got your door fixed.