+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blue Screen of Death!!!     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Blue Screen of Death!!!

So my PC encountered a fatal error while I was playing FFXI this morning as a result of the nasty thunderstorms in the South East. I'm not a computer genius, but at the same time, I am quite capable of finding my way around a PC and fixing any issues that I may encounter.

I do have a question for this of you that have more experience than myself in this matter. I did a little research today and determined that the most likely candidates for this error are 1. a registry error, or 2. a damaged RAM module as a result of the thuderstorm overheating the PC. In the event that it's a the problem with the RAM module, how difficult would it be to remove the modules and determine by trial and error? Can it be easily taught so that someone who has no experience with the hardware of a PC, can easily figure it out? Or is it something that I should leave to someone with more experience in removing hardware components?

Also, I stumbled upon a test utility that Dell included on their boot disc to run a diagnostic of the system. After going through a lengthy test, the results showed that my fan failed in showing the correct speed. Is this a possible culprit to the problem? Thanks in advance for the help!

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

As far as physically removing the RAM, if you can manage to get the case open, you're half way there. It's literally just a chip about 6 inches long.

http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2...Modules-04.jpg

On either side of the RAM on the motherboard, there are little push tabs. Push both down at the same time which will push the stick up. When putting it back in, just take note of the two small notches on the bottom. Other people know more about how to test it out, but you should have no problem removing and replacing the ram

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Make sure to notice the notch on the ram is not EXACTLY in the middle, there is a correct way to put the ram in.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Minions View Post
    Make sure to notice the notch on the ram is not EXACTLY in the middle, there is a correct way to put the ram in.
    I tend to just look at the notch that is close to one end. Then I reference that to slot on the mobo.

gonna save some hot babes and punch radiation in the mouth.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Frostwolf

I believe Dells use a proprietary format for most of their hardware. Finding ram might be a bit of a pain but not impossible. Lots of websites out there sell ram for Dell machines. Its really easy to replace(as in take out and put new sticks in) as well.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Proprietary format for Dell? Never heard such a thing lol. Anyway, for all RAM needs visit: RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com can't get any easier than that.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Frostwolf

Buy a couple of ram sticks at best buy and try and put them on a Dell. Won't fit.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fr34k View Post
    As far as physically removing the RAM, if you can manage to get the case open, you're half way there. It's literally just a chip about 6 inches long.

http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2...Modules-04.jpg
    Is it weird that I recognized that ram? DDR PC 133

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Chicomagiko View Post
    Buy a couple of ram sticks at best buy and try and put them on a Dell. Won't fit.
    I highly doubt it.

edit: wait, I see what you did wrong there. "Buy a couple of ram sticks at best buy..' and then
    "Dell"

Solution; don't buy dell, don't shop at best buy for computer parts.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I had a Dimension 8300 that I opened up. Was from like 05? Everything looked the same except it was like a fucking forest in there. Every single piece of plastic was green. And on top of that there was a bunch of extra plastic pieces that did like nothing but were in there, and just as green.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Fr34k View Post
    Every single piece of plastic was green. And on top of that there was a bunch of extra plastic pieces that did like nothing but were in there, and just as green.
    Ducting for processor ventilation/exhaust, I work on those 1st generation dells like once a week now.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by guartz View Post
    Solution; don't buy dell, don't shop at best buy for computer parts.
    Yeah, this will be the very last time I purchase a computer from Dell, I've actually heard numerous reports of how bad they run their business before I bought this machine. Unfortunately it couldn't be helped since I got the PC so cheap I practically stole it.

Thanks very much for the speedy replies, it reminded me of my classes in college where I (unfortunately) barely paid attention. I'll be sure to do a trial and error in the event this needs to be done. I'll be running a memory diagnostic first to be sure that this is what needs to be done before I do some unnecessary surgery.

On a side note, is it possible that any of this could be related to the fan? Or is it more likely that there's just a bit of dust accumulation inside the machine that just needs to be cleaned out.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Frostwolf

Dimension 8300 was the pc was i was helping a buddy fix. We ended up just building a new one instead. As for BB being not the place to buy parts at, they have some good deals when Frys and Newegg are out of stock and we both hate Tigerdirect.

Always Cabrón!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lor'enzo Sasha
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Jb1210a
    I did a little research today and determined that the most likely candidates for this error are 1. a registry error, or 2. a damaged RAM module as a result of the thuderstorm overheating the PC.
    IMNSHO..
    1. Registry Errors normally are best fixed by re-installing your OS; otherwise lookign for a good registry cleaner to fix it for you or a reg-editor if you like to tinker with the Registry and arent afraid of possibly making it crash.
    2. Thunderstorm overheating... sounds like a possible powersurge that may have fried a few components instead. Long ago I experienced a powersurge that didnt inmediately kill my pc, but little by little I did experience equipment failure (fried proc, not quite 100% mobo, wonky psu)... loved that pc while it worked, although I eventually ended up building a new one.

In the event that it's a the problem with the RAM module, how difficult would it be to remove the modules and determine by trial and error? Can it be easily taught so that someone who has no experience with the hardware of a PC, can easily figure it out? Or is it something that I should leave to someone with more experience in removing hardware components?
    Also, I stumbled upon a test utility that Dell included on their boot disc to run a diagnostic of the system. After going through a lengthy test, the results showed that my fan failed in showing the correct speed. Is this a possible culprit to the problem? Thanks in advance for the help!
    Looks like everyone previously has commented on the memory alternative.
    Dell's are a bit of a pain to take apart/put back together... since some of them have hardware fitting in certain ways, it kinda feels/looks like youre playing a jigsaw puzzle sometimes; makes good use of limited space tho.

On a side note, is it possible that any of this could be related to the fan? Or is it more likely that there's just a bit of dust accumulation inside the machine that just needs to be cleaned out.
    A little bit of Column A and B...
    - the fan might be getting old and some of the bearings might be getting rusty/dry or even the system may be just not registering signal/power from the fan...
    - as for dusty/dirty fans, it might do good blasting some compressed air at said fan to clean it up a bit/clear out any obstructions; otherwise you might want to consider replacing said fan if you can find a comparative replacement part.

Although, a fan not moving would only cause overheat of the system (specially the processor), most pc's will beep at you when this is the case and either just freeze the system up (no response or BSOD) or reboot you to BIOS and give you a nice "i'm too hot i don't feel like working" message while holding you there indefinitely or until it goes down to a more tolerable working temperature.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Nothing wrong with Dell (as long as you have your OS to do a format and erase all the crap they put on) and they have no proprietary hardware, you can buy a replacement for any part at any PC store. And never buy from BestBuy or similiar, always buy from online retailers (Newegg/Tigerdirect) or pc only stores like Microcenter Mall.

Dell makes great PCs, and has great customer service and repairs. Ive delt with Dell in three companies in mass, and ive never had a problem with them. I build my own PCs, but when it comes down to family members, I always get them Dells.

The only bad thing about Dell (and others like HP) is they load so much software on it that it just completly bastardizes it. I always recommend buying a Dell, then buying an OS from a school (or get someone to do it for you) for ~30$ and do a complete format.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    Nothing wrong with Dell (as long as you have your OS to do a format and erase all the crap they put on) and they have no proprietary hardware, you can buy a replacement for any part at any PC store. And never buy from BestBuy or similiar, always buy from online retailers (Newegg/Tigerdirect) or pc only stores like Microcenter Mall.

Dell makes great PCs, and has great customer service and repairs. Ive delt with Dell in three companies in mass, and ive never had a problem with them. I build my own PCs, but when it comes down to family members, I always get them Dells.

The only bad thing about Dell (and others like HP) is they load so much software on it that it just completly bastardizes it. I always recommend buying a Dell, then buying an OS from a school (or get someone to do it for you) for ~30$ and do a complete format.
    And don't plan to overclock anything... lol

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

i use dell for all of my biz laptops, i've never found another big dog out there that can compete with the service/warranty

4 laptops and counting and never had any issues with dell