Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: The Secret World: Legends     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Sucks to hear, but companies need to start putting out real mmo's instead of cash grabs and hoping that they take off. All these mmo's that turn B2P/F2P shortly after launch are all because they should of been F2P/B2P in the first place w/ the overall game and lack of updated to keep people interested

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Honestly I don't even think it's a "sucks to hear" dealio in situations like this, most of the time going f2p for games like this brings in far more money for the publisher. It should have been this way from the start but I imagine this will only lead to better things for them in time.

Wasn't this game orignally supposed to be free to play like years before release but they randomly made it a sub MMO and then released it like 1 month before gw2 came out? The fact this MMO wasn't free before made it completely lol and a pointless game, I mean the fact that the thread for this game was only 2 pages on these fo rums speaks for itself.

Free to play is never a bad thing, it actually ends up making the devs much much more money, not sure why sub games exist still tbh. PSo2 and GW2 are free to play and get content updates literally 10-20x faster than Sub games like WOW|FF11|Rift.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Aside of being P2P it also has a cash shop so yeah, a pretty crazy model right here.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I kinda feel bad for the people who paid $250 for the lifetime subscription though. Now they get "free" items in the shop (clothes-useless pets-fireworks ect), a bonus XP item (even though those people probably maxed the AP/SP months ago), and some other rather trivial stuff (http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=62789). So yea, they get extra stuff but in my opinion- not as much as you'd think. Husband and I quit after we finished the storyline.. which only took about a month and a half. If we had paid that $250... I'd be pretty pissed off.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

ppl who pay lifetime subs for mmo's deserve to be ripped off. People should know better by now. Not only that, but any mmo that offers a lifetime sub should instantly send out warnings signals to others

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    Not only that, but any mmo that offers a lifetime sub should instantly send out warnings signals to others
    Pretty much this.

I played this game 2 weeks and I'm deceived. The progression system is fairly retarded. You grind points to unlock abilities, most of which are useless because you keep spamming the same 2 buttons over and over due to only 2 abilities not sucking (I was using sword). Also killing zombies is getting old after a while..

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

For those interested, the digital version of the game is currently $14.99 on Amazon.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Anyone here still playing this? Picked up the box copy a while ago. Was wanting to give this a shot for sometime now.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Not too bad early on. Not so sure about picking AR first though, but I'll stick with it for a while. I'm on Daemon if anyone here still plays.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Picked this up this a little while back, would file for a refund if I thought I'd get me anywhere. Wish I'd had the presence of mind to check this thread first, but I was only looking for something to carry me through to XIV starts back up.

Mind-numbingly dull combat, horrible inventory management (or rather, lack thereof, I got a mod that made it better, but still..). Character creation is awful. Crafting is pretty bad. The limitations to accessible skills is during combat, while understandable, a bit too strict for my taste, as many others have pointed out, you've got two attacks for single target, and two for multi-targets + some change. The built in browser doesn't seem to be able to understand that at 2560x1440 I want a good browsing experience even if it is an ingame solution. And it feels so very dead (no pun intended) it just feels like you're a spectator and not a participant (granted, I came from SWTOR to this, where the illusion of choice via the dialogue wheel was nice).

Some of the quests have been brilliant, I especially enjoyed the Tivoli one. Some of the pop.cultural references have been very amusing, but it drowns in the sheer bad that the gameplay :/

and holy hell at the abused-wife syndrome in general, Funcom really loves us, they will be kinder in the future etc.etc.

Makes XIV 1.0 seem almost edible in comparison (except for the horrible randomized xp element). Since they took down XIV 1.x I've been through GW2, Neverwinter, SWTOR, TERA, Rift, ST:O and this. This is by far the worst one

edit: On the bright side, the chick on the cover is smoking, but I still haven't seen her anywhere as an illuminati in the game.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Quote Originally Posted by Obliterate View Post
    I wanna buy this game , is it worth it?
    It depends on what you want to buy it on. If you enjoy stories this will be a great game. If you buy it for some interesting combat you will be disappointed. The combat is the weakest part of the game and the Cthulhu nature of the stories are extremely strong. Even as you advance into Egypt and Transylvania they stay strong. The add on(Issues) missions are even better and add some major creepy element to the game.

The bulk of the interesting/fun missions(green mission) would be tied into investigation missions which require you to do some outside research through google or other sites for answers. Sabotage missions(Yellow missions) are also fairly interesting as they require you to pay attention more to the surroundings and avoid detection/setting off traps.

Combat suffers from a variety of issues.
    1. It always feels a bit clunky to me. When your playing it become obvious. Something feels disconnected, maybe the animations. It always felt like I was missing a frame.
    2. Lack of information on skill points. What isn't told straight off is that you need to focus in on talismans and level them consistently. Staying ahead helps a lot for combat as this is your only real 'progression' statistically. You should always keep your weapon the same as the content(If rank 2 talismans are dropping it would be better to have talismans at least rank 3 and weapons rank 2 than reverse)
    3. Difficulty. I wouldn't say the combat is hard UNTIL you go in with the wrong combination of skills. They give you preset ability combinations(decks) which are OK. However going through it always felt as if I was killing things slow or wrong. I never shook the feeling that I was just doing things constantly wrong. You will never feel overpowered(which is good) but you will never have a safety blanket(deck) to fall back on since they all feel weak and broken.
    4 Resting. It is never mentioned that food helps tons for healing. There is no breadcrumb quest that even introduces you to it. All area vendors don't even carry food which makes most think that they will be stuck with the slow regeneration. To get food you have to find Dante in London and buy tacos which increases ooc healing by about 300% or visit cafes for more expensive food.
    5. Skills. Most skills do just about the same thing and can lead to confusing choices. You have to choose skills based off of passives for the most part. While you can level with just about any weapon at endgame the choices become much more limited(There are skills that are CLEARLY better than some others. Assault rifle has three shot burst which is the highest single target burst even reaching endgame. This of course causes everyone to go AR. Fist weapons tend to have the best healing and safety at later tiers compared to blood and AR. Thus most healers will go fist.). There doesn't seem to be much re-balancing to bring weaker weapons to par.
    6. Ranged vs Melee. Ranged is almost always better for just about everything you do in the game. It seems like an obvious statement but it should be said. There seems no reason to take a melee over ranged. (Fist/AR/Blood healing is all ranged). Melee are a constant disadvantage for everything open world and dungeon-wise. All buffing abilities can be equipped by ranged just as much melee.

Crafting is something everyone can do with no specialization. There is little reason to do it at all except for glyphs and attaching them to weapons. Weapons/talismans tend to drop in the field easily.
    Your allowed to customize your character pretty decently through clothing since there is no 'armor'(replaced with 7 slots of talismans). The clothing stores are located within London and through the cash shop as well as various achievement based clothing rewards.

Story: Yes
    Combat: No
    Crafting: No
    Character Customization: Maybe

On the bright side, the chick on the cover is smoking, but I still haven't seen her anywhere as an illuminati in the game.
    She is a Templar, she is suppose to represent the player character though. I don't think you will ever run into her.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Relaunching as The Secret World: Legends, Free-2-Play, Spring 2017

Funcom is excited to announce that their acclaimed story-driven game The Secret World will be relaunched this spring as Secret World Legends, a shared-world action RPG with completely revamped combat, a newly designed progression system, and updated visuals. The game’s full collection of missions and mysteries will be free to play, with over 100 hours of mature storytelling and surprises. Players can sign up for Secret World Legends’ beta at SecretWorldLegends.com.

“Over the course of five years, The Secret World has created a truly memorable RPG universe that stands out to this day for the uniqueness of its dark setting and tone, the depth of its quest design, and the high quality of its voice acting throughout,” said Rui Casais, CEO of Funcom. “Secret World Legends uses that foundation to mark a new era for the game, offering a fresh start for newcomers and long-time fans alike, delivering a captivating journey that can be enjoyed entirely on your own or with friends.”

Secret World Legends plunges players into a shadowy war against the supernatural in an adventure that crosses our world with the realms of ancient myth and legend. As players traverse the globe unraveling complex investigations into the unknown, they’ll need to uncover clues and use their own wits as much as their characters’ abilities. A highly extensive and customizable arsenal of firearms, weapons, gear and otherworldly powers will give players the strength to battle the forces of darkness as they dig deeper into these vast and mysterious lands. Players can go at it alone and enjoy the over 100 hours of story at their own pace, or team up with others as they explore the world and unravel its mysteries.

“One of our biggest goals in relaunching the game has been to reimagine the core gameplay experience in a way befitting a modern-day action RPG,” said Scott Junior, executive producer. “Secret World Legends features combat that feels more natural, deep systems that are more intuitive, better structuring of the early game for new players, and improved mission flow to strengthen the pace of progression for players.”
    http://www.secretworldlegends.com/

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Might be cool, I have some friends that were always very hype about Secret World lore and story, but the combat felt so meh to me I never could play it for long. Hope it will get a nice improvement.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    Might be cool, I have some friends that were always very hype about Secret World lore and story, but the combat felt so meh to me I never could play it for long. Hope it will get a nice improvement.
    Same boat. Interested to see how much things change. All the missions being free is nice too since to get them all it used to cost a considerable amount of money.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    When I first read about Secret World I was very excited. Sounded like something I'd love. Then I watched game play videos and was disappointed. I bought it when it was in a Humble Bundle, but I haven't installed it. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

I'm actually really hyped about this. TSW to this day has some of the better story telling compared to most MMO's. The biggest issue that stopped me from continuing was the combat system, which felt too stiff, and the heavy cookie cutter building. I finished out the transylvania and egypt areas before I stopped. A dream to kill was pretty stellar as well.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

If anyone is interested Secret World Legends opens up today.

https://secretworldlegends.com/

You can link your old TSW account and transfer stuff over. Check out the instructions here :

https://secretworldlegends.com/news/legacy-transfers/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5