Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Windows 7 Installation Stuck

Installing Windows 7 x64 and it sticks at "Completing Instillation." The dots are still animated and I can move my mouse around fine. It's on a new partition formatted by the OS instillation. I have more than enough ram and space (250gb) dedicated to the OS. No USB devices are hooked up besides my mouse and keyboard. I unplugged my HDMI to my second monitor and am using a VGA connection.

What do you suggest?

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Are you installing from CD, or usb.

(Note: If your burning it to a disc, etc. Try re-burning the ISO at a slower speed. My copy did this)

Sea Torques
    BG Level

mine got stuck (RTM), i just rebooted and it resumed where it left off, still running like a charm.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Warning, tech support tier question:

When it's saying that, are you watching the green bar at the bottom of the screen?

Once it gets to "Completing installation" it doesn't do anything for sometimes up to half an hour while that bar fills in.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Senoska View Post
    Installing Windows 7 x64 and it sticks at "Completing Instillation." The dots are still animated and I can move my mouse around fine. It's on a new partition formatted by the OS instillation. I have more than enough ram and space (250gb) dedicated to the OS. No USB devices are hooked up besides my mouse and keyboard. I unplugged my HDMI to my second monitor and am using a VGA connection.

What do you suggest?
    Update your BIOS and turn on SATA AHCI.

Remove expansion cards if you have them (except video)

If that doesn't work, disconnect every USB device after it reboots the first time. Even the mouse and keyboard. See if it works after that. The USB thing is a widely reported error, happening in most of the Technet and MSDN builds.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

a Dvd which I burned on the lowest burn speed and verified.

I got sick of waiting (About 45 minutes now which is an outrageous amount of time..)
    and ejected the disk. It jumped to finished and restarted and is checking the video now. Update in a second.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

That sounds about right. It probably hung on a single file and when you took out the disc it either skipped it or just finished completely.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Success! Everything is fine. This was about the 3'd time I've installed and I had ejected the disk before but nothing happened. This time the instillation completed. Oh boy @ Windows 7, legit this time, lol.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Which version of Windows 7 can I install that will let me upgrade from vista. I know i cannot upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 professional. Also would a windows 7 key work for all version ( basic pro and ultimate) or does each need its own, reason i ask is because i have a windows 7 pro key.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Freeko View Post
    Which version of Windows 7 can I install that will let me upgrade from vista. I know i cannot upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 professional. Also would a windows 7 key work for all version ( basic pro and ultimate) or does each need its own, reason i ask is because i have a windows 7 pro key.
    You can upgrade from any Vista version to any Windows 7 version, if thats what your first question is.

(Removed link, was wrong link that they will be using in the future for Vista>W7 WAU.

Just look at this for an idea on the process.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...grade-overview

Secondly, each version has separate keysets. You cannot use a Windows 7 Home Basic key to use Ultimate.

If you have a Windows 7 Pro key, then you just need to download Windows 7 and use the key.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

So if I have vista, I can do a direct update w/o having to reformat?

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

You're welcome :*

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

When everything is set out in stone, yes. Would I suggest it? No. You're better off backing up everything onto a storage drive that is critical. Then doing a fresh install.

But that is just my personal opinion.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I have the Iso downloaded from the MSDAA software library, its Windows 7 Pro x64 My desktop is Windows Vista SP1 and when i try and upgrade, it says that i have to do a full install and wipe out my data. Is there anything i can do or would i have to do the full install and wipe?

Edit: Most of my stuff is music and movies / games. could i just make a partition from my HDD and back up my files to the 2nd partition and restore it once i upgrade?. If so how would i be able to do that.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Perhaps unrelated but I've been having some serious problems with explorer pretty much locking up. If I have to browse for a file (See: Uploading something to a site) its almost a sure fire lockup. It starts with what ever program is trying to open the file browser and slowly spreads out. For example, about 20 seconds after Firefox, for example, starts to lock up, the start menu no longer works, then the process manager, then my screen goes black and I'm forced to restart.

Anyone had anything like this? How did you fix it?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

@Freeko, it shouldn't ever force you to completely format your harddrive unless it had a different filesystem or something. Normally, it'll move your old vista installation including user files and programs into a windows.old folder and then install 7 around that. If you want to though, just look around for a partition program. Windows has a built-in one, but I wouldn't trust it. It'll be pretty simple, create partition, move files to partition 2, start install, format partition 1, complete install, and then move files back if you wish. Personally, I don't like partitions though.

@Senoska, idk how much of a problem it is, but I hear firefox is notorious for memory leaks. I do have a few issues with it myself occasionally and that's when I switch to Chrome. I have a seperate problem with all of my internet pages, both chrome and FF, not loading. It's like every other webpage decides not to load on the first try, I get the not-connected page and refreshing will fix it.

I'm probably going to format when my new harddrive comes in.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

It's not firefox. Its anything. If I go to "My Computer" and don't click on anything the second it loads, it 100% of the time locks up my PC to the point where I have to do a hard restart. There's no load on my processor and no spike in ram. In fact, my processor is almost always at around 3% and never moves even during these lockups.

edit: It tried to lock up again but I was watching the event log, I'm getting this:
    The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.
    But I don't know if that's causing the problem. I ejected the disk but this error, despite what I'm saying here, is rather hard to reproduce because it only seems to happen about 20 minutes after being booted. I checked the power settings and everything is on high performance. I'm pretty boggled...

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Senoska View Post
    It's not firefox. Its anything. If I go to "My Computer" and don't click on anything the second it loads, it 100% of the time locks up my PC to the point where I have to do a hard restart. There's no load on my processor and no spike in ram. In fact, my processor is almost always at around 3% and never moves even during these lockups.
    The only data collected when browsing viewable trees is specific data about the current viewed folders. For example, if you click "My Computer". When it pops up with your current drives, etc. It refreshes, and updates the current data of folders/drives/whatever to you.

Only thing I could think of, is if you have a DVD drive or something, upon collecting data causing it to lock up due to some internal problem. (If you're browsing through explorer it causes this to a same effect).

Not sure if this is the problem, but it reminds me of the old Windows Vista problem back at launch where the system would lock up severely due to viewing incompatible (non-supported) file formats while browsing in Explorer.

Anyways goodluck on that.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Pikarya View Post
    The only data collected when browsing viewable trees is specific data about the current viewed folders. For example, if you click "My Computer". When it pops up with your current drives, etc. It refreshes, and updates the current data of folders/drives/whatever to you.

Only thing I could think of, is if you have a DVD drive or something, upon collecting data causing it to lock up due to some internal problem. (If you're browsing through explorer it causes this to a same effect).

Not sure if this is the problem, but it reminds me of the old Windows Vista problem back at launch where the system would lock up severely due to viewing incompatible (non-supported) file formats while browsing in Explorer.

Anyways goodluck on that.
    Well then...

edit: I'm having a hard time understanding why its reading a bad block on the dvd. The dvd is completly valid in 3 other computers, even checking the hash of the image reveals that it is a completely genuine Windows 7 CD image and I had varified the data when it was burned. Why is it freezing when it tries to read the data? Is it a bug in windows or is there actually an error on the disk worth examining?

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

One thing to test that I forgot to add, try disconnecting everything except for the main HDD itself. (Remove any USB/jump drives, component device drives, etc. See if it reproduces, out of curiosity that is.