BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

No genre is things like romance, sci-fi, mystery, etc.

Demo is stuff like men/women, 13-17/18–49/50+, etc
    There are authors and works who are "marketed" as YA, but the content is not scrubbed like with PG-13 ratings.
    Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series is YA with a bent towards female readers, but it is by no means any bit lesser than a normal Discworld book.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Just finished reading the first book of the Red Rising trilogy. God i hope they make this shit into a movie, It's just so good.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Looked it up, went "Yeah sure, I'll give it a go."
    And in the course I saw a note that Universal acquired the film rights for it February last year, not a guarantee, but looks good for you Kuya.

BG Level

I came!

Edit: also, i hope you enjoy the book. It's like a combination of hunger games with oppresing upper classes and a game, like game of thrones in the sense of political intrigue and copious scheeming between noble houses (and loads of killing) and like enders game in the sense that it takes place in the future on mars and kids have to go through tests to prove themselves.

BG Level

I just noticed all three movies have the word game in them.

Sounds interesting, might check it out after the current series too.

Ridill
    BG Level

Doing this from my phone at work, so deal with the size lol

Spoiler: show

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

So I just finished Red Rising and Golden Son. Pretty good. I'd say the second book is stronger than the first.

The first book can be turned into a movie. But unless it gets Avengers money/balloons in popularity like Pirates of the Carribean, the second film will not happen or be crap. It is going to have to look like Jupiter Ascending, with a much bigger cast, and that budget is gonna break someone. (Also, the director attached, while having Monster's Ball, Finding Neverland, Stranger Than Fiction, The Kite Runner, Quantum of Solace, and Machine Gun Preacher under his belt, is also responsible for World War Z. So, wary.)

BG Level

I finished golden son a few weeks ago and i agree. It was definitely better than the first. Probably because of the neck breaking pace.

I certainly hope they do the books justice. It has the potential to be a really great movie series.

Only problem is the third book has no date and the ending to the second book was just too much to leave me hanging like that.

We're undone

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Got around to buying a new round of books. Went to goodreads and chose a fantasy and a sci fi book. Ended up with A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and The Long Earth by Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. Both start a series (All Souls Trilogy and The Long Earth series respectively) so I'll see how each of them go before I buy the rest. Discovery is ok so far but it's too early to tell how it will go.

Also my OCD self got the paperback version of Skin Game (came out this week) so my bookshelf isn't a bunch of Dresden Files paperbacks with 1 hardcover oddball. Going to read that between the aforementioned books per my usual custom of reading light easy books between denser novels.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

In case you don't know, book four of the demon cycle is being released at end of month.

The Skull Throne. I am hype.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I finished reading The Book Thief on the plane yesterday. So good.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Just finished reading the first book of the Red Rising trilogy. God i hope they make this shit into a movie, It's just so good.
    Picked it up after you posted about it. I enjoyed it. Though I wonder how the rest of the series will play out.

Finished Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. I enjoyed it but this being my 8th Cosmere book, can't help but see those books as "variations on the same theme." Not that I mind, but the self doubt paragraphs can get tough to go through though.

I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Finished A Discovery of Witches. Will not be continuing the series. An editor needs to take an axe to the book (and the entire series) to cut out a lot of the BS, at least 100 pages worth. The premise is good. But 200 pages into the novel, it turns into Stockholm Syndrome-like Twilight vampire romance garbage. And the actual book doesn't even have a climax. It merely sets up the subsequent novels. If the author went for more for a nonromantic companion pairing as opposed to the two principle characters getting all lovey dovey after being acquainted for 15 days, the book would have been a whole lot better.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Evane View Post
    Finished Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. I enjoyed it but this being my 8th Cosmere book, can't help but see those books as "variations on the same theme." Not that I mind, but the self doubt paragraphs can get tough to go through though.
    I just finished this yesterday and started Elantris.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    And Tor books is releasing a 10th anniversary release of Elantris, most notably having an Ars Arcanum and a better map as well as the language cleaned up . Probably going to pick that up for the sake of collecting his novels. Sanderson also tweaked the ending of Words of Radiance for the paperback version. Read his blog if you want the info on both.

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    Don't check his blog entry until you finish the book.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Terry Pratchett died. Fack.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aumaan Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Fack indeed. So many relevant quotes from his books, and it's too depressing to use any of them.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag