BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Also, all this other stuff going on, totally missed that Neal Stephenson's new book is out.
    Not gonna have time for it until next month though. =\

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I just binged the living hell out of the Shattered Sea trilogy by Joe Abercrombie; highly, highly recommend. I am generally lukewarm on Abercrombie. Every one of his books demands an antihero that you want to stab and an ending that makes you want to stab your own eyes out. This one bucked the trend a bit for me, though:

Spoiler: show
    Yarvi's ending was not my favorite, even though I saw his "betrayal" coming about 12 miles away

Maybe I'm just a softy at heart.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

^I saw book 3 under new arrivals at the library last night, and for once they had all the previous books available so I picked them up to read after I finish Fool's Quest

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    Also, all this other stuff going on, totally missed that Neal Stephenson's new book is out.
    Not gonna have time for it until next month though. =\
    I've been re-reading Snow Crash for like the 3rd time in the past 3 because I get the urge to every time I see something neat involving Oculus. I skipped Mongoliad and Reamde since they didn't seem too terribly appealing to me, but are they worth checking out? Seveneves looks much more up my alley, so I'm definitely giving it a try.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Could post in The Martian thread but this is good enough. Enjoyed the hell out of that book. Opening line pretty much sold me from the get go.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyHobo View Post
    I've been re-reading Snow Crash for like the 3rd time in the past 3 because I get the urge to every time I see something neat involving Oculus. I skipped Mongoliad and Reamde since they didn't seem too terribly appealing to me, but are they worth checking out? Seveneves looks much more up my alley, so I'm definitely giving it a try.
    I've read everything of his except Zodiac, The Cobweb, the Baroque Cycle (I did not like the Baroque sections of Cryptonomicon, so avoided this, and..), and the Mongoliad. I actually got to reading and finishing Seveneves a couple weeks ago.

If you like The Diamond Age, Cryptonomicon, and Anathem, you will probably like Seveneves.
    If you do not like Reamde and Cryptonomicon, you will probably not like Seveneves.

If you just don't like Stephenson, Seveneves is not going to change your opinion.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Recently read The Soulkeepers (which is going to be turned into a movie and it's going to be super terrible), a book that BG would hate so much it might get its own thread in the YouTube section. Anyone who is a Christian and believes in things like heaven and hell and angels and demons might enjoy it's poorly written campiness, but otherwise you'll want to avoid it.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    I just binged the living hell out of the Shattered Sea trilogy by Joe Abercrombie; highly, highly recommend. I am generally lukewarm on Abercrombie. Every one of his books demands an antihero that you want to stab and an ending that makes you want to stab your own eyes out. This one bucked the trend a bit for me, though:

Yarvi's ending was not my favorite, even though I saw his "betrayal" coming about 12 miles away

Maybe I'm just a softy at heart.
    Shit is great. Totally missed the release date.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

http://io9.com/the-kingkiller-chroni...ium=socialflow
    Fans of Patrick Rothfuss’ The Kingkiller Chronicle are about to have the best day ever. After several months of negotiations and competition between studios, the popular fantasy series is about to get a mega multimedia rollout.

The Hollywood Reporter reveals Lionsgate has won the rights to the series and has plans to make it into a movie, TV show, and video game. Yes, you read that right. All three.

“Honestly, I’ve never been very interested in a straight-up movie deal,” Rothfuss told the trade. “But Lionsgate was willing to work out something different, a multiplatform deal where they develop the films, TV series, and games simultaneously. That will give us the screen time to develop the characters and show off the world. What’s more, through this whole process, they’ve treated me with amazing respect. I never thought a studio would approach me as a creative partner who understands how stories work.”

yussss

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Finish the last book! But, aside from that:
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roary View Post
    yussss

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

ogod so much hype

My mind has been blown.

Finished reading The Martian a week ago, enjoyed/loved it and can't wait to see the movie and such. Reading further about the book I found out about Andy Weir's other 'book', The Egg, a short 5-10 minute read that also had good reviews. I just started reading it, and about a minute in I realized it sounded ever so vaguely familiar. It finally hit me, an old 4chan post that circled the interwebs ~3-5 years ago, which I also saved:

(spoiled for image size, not an actual spoiler of any book)

Wonder if that strikes a familiar cord for anyone else... but that is The Egg, written out on a 4chan post. It's the same guy (although I don't believe he was the one to post it on 4chan).

Totally blew my mind.

And then even further in finding an AMA he did ~3 years ago, in response to the popularity of that short story:
    https://www.reddit.com/comments/zt1n...ort=confidence

Then finding this quote, in response to praise: "Thanks! I wrote The Egg in an evening but it took years to write The Martian. Sometimes I'm a little sad that The Martian wasn't anywhere near as popular, but I guess it's a niche readership. Hard sci-fi isn't for everyone."

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Crazy timing. I just picked up the first book after a quick google search while I was in SFO before an international flight. Loving it (almost done), but was thinking how cool it would be to see it in this format as well.

Just out of curiosity, are the next two books as awesome as the first?

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

The third book isn't out yet. The second book isn't quite as awesome as the first but it's still pretty awesome, imo.

Movies can wait, we need the third book!

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

I need to do a re-read and pick up the Slow Regard

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Slow Regard wasn't bad... but it felt a little like I was reading one of those short stories from 11th grade lit. Not really any plot, doesn't have much context or purpose. Just lots of words. I felt like I was obligated to like it because I love the other books and I really like Rothfuss as a person (based on his facebook/blog/etc).

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by RKenshin View Post
    Finished reading The Martian a week ago, enjoyed/loved it and can't wait to see the movie and such. Reading further about the book I found out about Andy Weir's other 'book', The Egg, a short 5-10 minute read that also had good reviews. I just started reading it, and about a minute in I realized it sounded ever so vaguely familiar. It finally hit me, an old 4chan post that circled the interwebs ~3-5 years ago, which I also saved:"
    Mentioning 4chan and eggs, I was kind of hoping it was a short story about this:

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/You...08_4702547.jpg

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Finally getting around to reading Gaiman. Just finished Stardust, on to American Gods.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag