29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    Beowulf
    Have you read Tolkien's Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics? If not, it's a bit of a read but worth it. I think this should work:
    http://producer.csi.edu/cdraney/2011...%20Critics.pdf

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I have not, but I will save that PDF.

We're not going to get to Beowulf for a few more weeks yet.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Been reading The Broken Empire trilogy. Halfway through the last book. The main character is like 12 out of 10 on the anti-hero scale. He does some seriously fucked up things. Takes place like 1200ish years into the future, in Europe, after a World War with nukes. Little too much deus ex machina, but still interesting. Heard the author is going to write another trilogy based on the same world.

MaachaQ

Currently marathoning the Dresden Files series, now on book 8. It's a great change of pace from the hard scifi and fantasy I had been reading (Stormlight Archive, Asimov's Foundation and Empire series, Song of Albion series, Commonwealth Saga, and Butcher's Codex Alera), which while good came to be rather heavy. The books are definitely getting better as the series goes on, and there has been plenty of setup for future plotlines.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

My sister bought me Abnett's Ravenor: The Omnibus and, after reading the introduction, I'm not sure I should be starting with it. Should I read it alone, or would it be best to read something else first? Also, how is R:TO? Is it any good?

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Brent Week, The Broken Eye, just came out Tuesday. Pretty strong contribution to the series.
    It was awesome; I stumbled onto this series and read all the books in like a week. I thought it was a trilogy though and am super bummed to have to wait for the end.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jakson View Post
    My sister bought me Abnett's Ravenor: The Omnibus and, after reading the introduction, I'm not sure I should be starting with it. Should I read it alone, or would it be best to read something else first? Also, how is R:TO? Is it any good?
    Read the Eisenhorn trilogy first, as it sets Ravenor up. Ravenor is a little uneven sometimes but it's still good.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Thanks. I read the first few pages and it makes me appreciate the bearded iceberg because shit like 'frig' in this book or 'fishguts!' in WoT as expletives just sound so fucking dumb.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

it's GW's weird double standard at work. you can't say fuck, but in the first 10 pages of eisenhorn the main character slaughters about a dozen guys, witnesses what a few thousand deaths, and executes his target by punching the guy's teeth out with his side arm and painting the walls with his brains.

but, you can't say fuck or little timmy's mom dad and/or unit of parental consent may find it offensive.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Rothfuss's new book is out but I'm stuck unable to get it due to really retarded internet. If anyone know another route to getting that may involve PDFs, gimme a pm please.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

It's out? I can't find links anywhere. I see it being released in 3 days.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series is fucking awesome; burned through the first book and am doing the same on the 2nd now

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I just finished it and I agree wholeheartedly. Easily one of my favorite series to date so far, can't wait for the 3rd book. Drives me crazy knowing this is going to be a 10 book series.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

^I refuse to start that series until at least book 7 is out. I have enough fantastic series I am already waiting on :/ (The Reckoners being one!)

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmagi View Post
    It's out? I can't find links anywhere. I see it being released in 3 days.
    Disregard, I suck cocks.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I just finished it and I agree wholeheartedly. Easily one of my favorite series to date so far, can't wait for the 3rd book. Drives me crazy knowing this is going to be a 10 book series.
    The good news is that Sanderson pumps out new books like no other author I've seen.

Has anybody read the Michael Manning mageborn books? (no, not the michael manning fetish author) They're not quite as clean as other books as he seems to be self-published through amazon, but I've been quite entertained so far with them. He's got 6 books out now, with a 7th on the way later this year.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Dammit, good books should not be allowed to end

Nothing on my reading list right now. I wish I hadn't started so many unfinished series.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Still in the land of no downloading. Anyone want to help me out with the book I mentioned previously?

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

this was assigned reading for grad school

Spoiler: show
    I start by skinning Torri a little, making incisions with a steak knife and ripping bits of flesh from her legs and stomach while she screams in vain, begging for mercy in a high thin voice, and I'm hoping that she realizes her punishment will end up being relatively light compared to what I've planned for the other one. I keep spraying Torri with Mace and then I try to cut off her fingers with nail scissors and finally I pour acid onto her belly and genitals, but none of this comes close to killing her, so I resort to stabbing her in the throat and eventually the blade of the knife breaks off in what's left of her neck, stuck on bone, and I stop. While Tiffany watches, finally I saw the entire head off - blood splashes against the walls, even the ceiling - and holding the head up, like a prize, I take my cock, purple with stiffness, and lowering Torri's head to my lap I push it into her bloodied mouth and start fucking it, until I come, exploding into it. Afterwards I'm so hard I can even walk around the blood-soaked room carrying the head, which feels warm and weightless, on my dick. This is amusing for a while but I need to rest so I remove the head, placing it in Paul's oak and teak armoire, and then I'm sitting in a chair, naked, covered with blood, watching HBO on Owen's TV, drinking a Corona, complaining out loud, wondering why Owen doesn't have Cinemax.

Later - now - I'm telling Tiffany, “I'll let you go, shhh…,” and I'm stroking her face, which is slick, owing to tears and Mace, gently, and it burns me that she actually looks up hopefully for a moment before she sees the lit match I'm holding in my hand that I've torn from a matchbook I picked up in the bar at Palio's where I was having drinks with Robert Farrell and Robert Prechter last Friday, and I lower it to her eyes, which she instinctively closes, singeing both eyelashes and brows, then I finally use a Bic lighter and hold it up to both sockets, making sure they stay open with my fingers, burning my thumb and pinkie in the process, until the eyeballs burst. While she's still conscious I roll her over, and spreading her ass cheeks, I nail a dildo that I've tied to a board deep into her rectum, using the nail gun. Then, turning her over again, her body weak with fear, I cut all the flesh off around her mouth and using the power drill with a detachable, massive head I widen that hole while she shakes, protesting, and once I'm satisfied with the size of the hole I've created, her mouth open as wide as possible, a reddish-black tunnel of twisted tongue and loosened teeth, I force my hand down, deep into her throat, until it disappears up to my wrist - all the while her head shakes uncontrollably, but she can't bite down since the power drill ripped her teeth out of her gums - and grab at the veins lodged there like tubes and I loosen them with my fingers and when I've gotten a good grip on them violently yank them out through her open mouth, pulling until the neck caves in, disappears, the skin tightens and splits though there's little blood. Most of the neck's innards, including the jugular, hang out of her mouth and her whole body starts twitching, like a roach on its back, shaking spasmodically, her melted eyes running down her face mixing with the tears and Mace, and then quickly, not wanting to waste time, I turn off the lights and in the dark before she dies I rip open her stomach with my bare hands. I can't tell what I'm doing with them but it's making wet snapping sounds and my hands are hot and covered with something.

obviously, the greatest thing i have read in grad school

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

How often do you come across works, in grad school, you've already read?

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag