BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    oh also last week I read the three books that are currently out in the Gentlemen Bastards series, I believe the fourth is out in July.
    The first two were fucking amazing. The third was so-so to me.

Book four of the Demon Cycle series came out a few weeks ago as well. I had totally forgotten about it and then saw it on Amazon. Pretty decent series; not in my top 10 F/SF series, but worth a read imo. Series would be 20x better if Renna did not exist.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vagrant Tarupunter
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

New blog post from Sanderson today. Finished second draft of Calamity the third and final book in the Reckoners series. Doing final revisions on Shadows of Self the next Mistborn novel which should be done mid-June(and released October 6th) which is when he'll start on the next book in the Stormlight series. The other Mistborn book he finished is slated for release in January 2016 , Spring 2016 for Calamity, and Christmas 2016 for Stormlight 3.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Sanderson is a machine, don't know how he writes so much content. Ringo used to be the same way, but he has fallen off the earth since his zombie series finished. I can't find anything about upcoming releases from him at all.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Just read and enjoyed Redshirts by John Scalzi.

Just finished up the Acts of Caine series, and wow instantly moves into my top 3 series ever, maybe 1st. Mathew Stover is just terrific. Shame these books are so hard to find and that he doesn't make much with them cause there is so much more for him to tap into if he wants to continue writing books in that world. Moving on to City of Stairs now by Robert Jackson Bennett.

Ridill
    BG Level

I liked the Invasion series by Harry Turtledove, so when I saw books 1-5 of his Darkness series (basically WW2 with dragons and magic) at a used book store for $3 each. Just need to find the very last book in the series now. (Assuming I actually like the books.

Also; if you have a '2nd And Charles' store near you, you should definitely check it out. Awesome used books/movies/video games/CD's/vinyl store.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Just crushed The Martian in a day or so. Pretty solid read.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Just crushed The Martian in a day or so. Pretty solid read.
    Co-worker keeps telling me to read it, gotta pick that and Little Brother up for reading.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I am currently reading "An Astronaut's guide to life on Earth" By Chris Hadfield. It is a very interesting read and you get to hear a lot about aspects of being an astronaut. Other than that I have been re-reading a lot of books lately like Martian Chronicles and Counter-Clock World.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Trying to read Discworld and really not enjoying it.

Just finished the first Stormlight book, now on to the second. Tore up the first... I was sucked in immediately. I really wish I had started with it instead of the first Reckoners book, which was a slog for me and kind of killed my desire to read anything at all for a bit.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Doombear View Post
    Just finished the first Stormlight book, now on to the second. Tore up the first... I was sucked in immediately. I really wish I had started with it instead of the first Reckoners book, which was a slog for me and kind of killed my desire to read anything at all for a bit.
    Stormlight is fucking awesome. You don't even notice that it's like 15000000 pages.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Stormlight is fucking awesome. You don't even notice that it's like 15000000 pages.
    As amazing as it is that Sanderson is a machine when it comes to churning out books, they're still coming so slowwwwlllyyyy. Can't wait for the 3rd one, and it's not coming out for another 2 yrs or something.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vagrant Tarupunter
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Coren View Post
    As amazing as it is that Sanderson is a machine when it comes to churning out books, they're still coming so slowwwwlllyyyy. Can't wait for the 3rd one, and it's not coming out for another 2 yrs or something.
    Christmas 2016 tentatively.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    Christmas 2016 tentatively.
    Well that's good.... only 18 months!

I know I've mentioned him before in this thread, but has anybody else read Michael G Manning's books? He's self-published on amazon, and does surprisingly well in my opinion. He just released a sequel a week or so ago that I quite enjoyed.

Oh I have plenty to read now that I am done with my 'I hate books' break I was apparently on. Plenty that I bought based solely on recommendations in this thread from several of you that have been pretty damned aligned with my interests for quite some time. They have just been sitting there in a stack. After Words of Radiance I will likely jump in/back in to one of these in the pile:

Black Prism
    Red Rising
    Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage
    Prince of Thorns
    Slow Regard of Silent Things
    Acceptance (Southern Reach Trilogy)
    On Such a Full Sea

My stack is pretty bottomless, I just haven't felt like reading lately. Catching up on comics, games, podcasts, etc. during my commute.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

You should follow Red Rising with Golden Son immediately imo. Great list.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

I ate Stormlight 2 (Words of Radiance) in 4 days. Not a single regret. Will end up doing a re-read the two and maybe Warbreaker a few months before #3 comes out.

And Sanderson isn't realeasing slowly, he is on pace for 2 novels + a number of novellas each year. Man is a monster. Heck, next year he's releasing 3: Mistborn Wax & Wayne #3, Calamity (reckoners 3) and Stormlight 3. Course one of the Mistborn books was an accident, but who is counting.

Still working on Anciliary Sword. More or less a lack of time I'm able to commit to reading. I really like the premise of the universe. The ending of Anciliary Justice pushes you into Sword with enough intrigue that you have no choice but to continue.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    I ate Stormlight 2 (Words of Radiance) in 4 days. Not a single regret. Will end up doing a re-read the two and maybe Warbreaker a few months before #3 comes out.

And Sanderson isn't realeasing slowly, he is on pace for 2 novels + a number of novellas each year. Man is a monster. Heck, next year he's releasing 3: Mistborn Wax & Wayne #3, Calamity (reckoners 3) and Stormlight 3. Course one of the Mistborn books was an accident, but who is counting.

Still working on Anciliary Sword. More or less a lack of time I'm able to commit to reading. I really like the premise of the universe. The ending of Anciliary Justice pushes you into Sword with enough intrigue that you have no choice but to continue.
    I know all that... he's a machine. That's what I meant in my earlier post. The issue is that a book that size takes lots of time (to edit numerous times, etc), and he has a million other projects that he's working on simultaneously. So it'll take him 20 years to finish the entire stormlight series (is it 7 or 10 books? meh, not enough).

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Gave up on Discworld, I hate the writing style and the universe. Not very entertaining.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag