BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    Sath what kind of supplements are you taking? And how much sleep do you get every night? You're going for muscle growth right? If so, how many calories a day are you eating?

I feel like I've reached a point with my diet that I know enough about calories and nutrition that I can pretty much have total freedom. I usually pick healthy options, loads of veggies, natural/simple ingredients and so one, but if I want a cheeseburger or something artificial/tasty I go for it.

I had red velvet cake flavored ice cream, and cheese fries on saturday and I'm still losing weight lol. I just subbed out some calories from a snack later, and made sure to eat small amounts/portions of each. Indulging is very doable on a very frequent basis if you make sure to practice moderation with it.
    No, not at all @ muscle growth.

I don't take any supplements besides a multi-vitamin. I just work out to stay healthy and I don't lift weights at all, I just work out on the heavy bag to keep myself flexible and keep my range of motion from degrading as I get older.

in that case I would definitely consider fish oil. They should help with inflammation/recovery, and other than multi-vitamins there's probably no supplement that gives more substantial long-term health benefits.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Sath what kind of supplements are you taking? And how much sleep do you get every night? You're going for muscle growth right? If so, how many calories a day are you eating?

I feel like I've reached a point with my diet that I know enough about calories and nutrition that I can pretty much have total freedom. I usually pick healthy options, loads of veggies, natural/simple ingredients and so one, but if I want a cheeseburger or something artificial/tasty I go for it.

I had red velvet cake flavored ice cream and cheese fries on saturday and I'm still losing weight lol. I just subbed out some calories from a snack later, and made sure to eat small amounts/portions of each. Indulging is very doable on a very frequent basis if you make sure to practice moderation with it.
    in that case I would definitely consider fish oil. They should help with inflammation/recovery, and other than multi-vitamins there's probably no supplement that gives more substantial long-term health benefits.
    Great, thanks.

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Just finished day one of starting strength. Shit was amazing, probably the best workout I've ever had. I went below parallel on squats for the first time and it made a huge difference, I noticed my abs were tired as I benched. I was worried it would take me awhile to get used to the deadlifts, but I actually felt pretty comfortable doing them and for what its worth the other guy doing DLs said my form was good.

One question on the bench, starting strength wiki said to tighten your upper back and keep your shoulder blades together. As a result your lower back tends to rise off of the bench, which i always figured was bad for your back. I tried this and it felt a little awkward, just wondering if others do this.

Booty on the bench. Tense up your abs. Shoulders together so your chest is pushed out.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    Just finished day one of starting strength. Shit was amazing, probably the best workout I've ever had. I went below parallel on squats for the first time and it made a huge difference, I noticed my abs were tired as I benched. I was worried it would take me awhile to get used to the deadlifts, but I actually felt pretty comfortable doing them and for what its worth the other guy doing DLs said my form was good.

One question on the bench, starting strength wiki said to tighten your upper back and keep your shoulder blades together. As a result your lower back tends to rise off of the bench, which i always figured was bad for your back. I tried this and it felt a little awkward, just wondering if others do this.
    this is a pretty good explanation about how you're supposed to "keep tight"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrXIwyk8kao

Edit: This guy has videos for shoulders, biceps, triceps, etc etc.

your lower back should be off the bench, pressing with your feet laterally should press your shoulders back and down into the bench. In the book he actually suggests you should be able to fit your hand in the space under your lower back.

damn was kind of hoping I was using the wrong form, maybe I coulda gotten a free few lbs on the bench! alas, no dice.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Here is another excellent walkthrough of the bench press by Dave Tate:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...nch_press_cure

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by alt View Post

Great video, thanks.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by alt View Post

The explaination is way better than lots of bench press video I found on youtube. Mostly due to that he shows the arms and shoulder motion from the side view, which most of the bench press tutorial video lack of.

I have been trying to correct my bench press motion, I'm probably will give this a shot. The only problem is the injury of my shoulder long time ago usually (but it is recovered for about 95% for few year) will make me to prevent myself to bench lower, even with the arch body

Lyramion's better half
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hopefulki Nozomi
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well, I've been reading this entire thread for quite a while now, and have taken countless advice from it, so I figure it's best to at least introduce myself so I can contribute and give my opinion on some stuff

I've done martial arts since I was about 12 (24 now), but when I hit college I stopped. At first, I had classes during the times I usually took/taught martial arts, but eventually it just kind of snowballed and the semesters where I didn't have conflicting schedules, I still did not go. In classic (and horrible) college style, I ate a bunch of crap - all the time, fried foods up the wazoo, tons of beer, sweets, soda etc.

I am 5' 7", stocky by nature, even when ripped, big legs (again, even when ripped, usually made me buy a bigger size pants for thighs lol - but i digress). Over the course of college, I started gaining weight, a lot of it. I started @ 158lbs, ripped and in black belt form, by midway through I was 190ish, then came the worst part. One rainy day, I was walking down some stairs (which were painted with this grey paint that became slippery as hell when it rained), I was holding on, but lost my footing, had a really bad fall and herniated 3 disks and bulged 2. Long story short, I ended up postponing that semester and staying home for months, as even walking was horrid pain.

During that whole ordeal, I got quite depressed, unable to live the life I was working on, couldn't go to school for that time, lost contact with a lot of people and really took refuge in food. By 1 year later (I was back at school by then), I was 260lb and sick to death of myself, uncomfortable with myself and really just angry all the time.

I decided to make a change, which really started with me walking little bits each day, and going to a pretty hardcore diet. I cut out everything even remotely bad, and ate only natural, uncooked foods (minus multivitamins and whey to keep protien in the mix) and avg 1000~1100 cal a day. I spent a lot of time reading everything you guys post here, and seeing so many people who had lifestyles like I wanted was a really big motivating factor. Eventually, I was able to lose enough to start running without destroying my joints again. I was hitting the gym 7 days a week (for cardio, 5~ days for weights). Started running again, and earlier this month, I went back to the martial arts I have missed for so long. I am currently 192 lbs and dropping. It's been a battle for sure, especially getting my back strong enough to do all the things I've wanted to do, but a lot of the advice I read here helped a ton - so thank you guys, really. I tend to lurk and not post much, but I'll try to interact more

I'm trying to get fit enough to go for my next degree black belt in Nov, which I have put off for a very long time. It's hard trying to get up to speed quick, but it's coming back fast - thanks muscle memory.

Sorry for the long post, but it was just some stuff I thought I'd share with people that helped me a ton without knowing.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Cool story -- But... are you still eating at 1000-1100 calories a day?

Lyramion's better half
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hopefulki Nozomi
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

oh I should have posted, no I am not haha, still dieting yes but not that hardcore (and unhealthy). I know it wasn't the greatest thing since I def. lost some muscle in the process, but it was that kick I needed to get started on the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Weiing View Post
    Cool story -- But... are you still eating at 1000-1100 calories a day?
    haha, as soon as I read that I envisioned BG Fitness's collective eyebrow being raised.

Awesome story though man, glad to hear you are well on your way back to form. Were you basically doing a raw food diet, kinda sounds like it, are you still doing what you were doing + more calories? Friend of mine did that for about a year or so, really worked well for him too, definitely something to be said as far as cutting out processed foods.

Lyramion's better half
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hopefulki Nozomi
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah, it was a raw food diet. Now I added in eggs in the morning, lean meats, Sashimi (no rice) and whole wheats (still not eating much in terms of breads/grains, but I do throw them in the days I workout the heaviest just for that extra bit of fuel). It's still primarily veggies and fruits, but allowing for the extra bit of diversity is ensuring that I really stick to it long term. I drink ON whey also (cake batter ftw btw), sometimes with water, or if I feel I am low that day, I'll mix it with skim milk.

I'm always reading and trying to find the best way of balancing my nutrition and mixing it up, but so far this is working really well. I used to miss all the soda and sweets, but now I don't know how i shoved all that in me for so long.

I used to be the same way about carbs, but adding in brown rice and sweet potato on a daily basis makes a big big difference for my energy level. I currently have in my pantry:
    -Brown Jasmine Rice
    -Brown Basmati
    -Brown Rice (plain)
    -Whole wheat couscous
    -Millet
    I'll make it in 1 cup (dry) batches, then rotate it as time goes on.

For lunch I'll usually have something simple like 1/2 cup of brown rice, 4 oz of grilled/baked chicken, and some salsa or spicy peppers mixed in a bowl. Easy, gives me loads of protein and energy, and less than 250 calories.

Even though white and brown rice have the same glycemic index brown rice is a LOT better for you. I really love the taste now too. Short grain brown rice cooked with a little olive oil (or butter, if you're only counting calories no reason you can't just butter but use less) comes out really glutinous too, which I really like a lot.

Soooo question again. Now I'm waiting for someone to get back to me, but I was wondering if anyone here during their reading has come across any workouts designed to prepare people for police or law enforcement exams. I'm also preparing for a firefighters exam at the end of the year, but usually these civil service tests require the same level of fitness. Firefighter's exams are bit tougher though. I've applied to several out of state agencies and it would be difficult to take these exams more than once so I'd like to be as prepared as possible the first time.

Obviously each state is going to have it's own different kind of fitness requirements, but they are generally in the same area in terms of strength, cardio, etc. Again I'm just wondering if anyone has come across workouts that generally prepare people for these tests.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Do you know the location of the herniated discs? I have one that still bothers me off and on and it's still keeping me from doing everything I want to. Sometimes I'll feel pain in the gym from twisting someway and I go home afraid I won't be able to walk in the morning.