Closed Thread
Page 111 of 730 FirstFirst ... 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 161 ... LastLast

So, how do you know when you have too much weight when lifting? I'm sure this is stupid question and obviously I'm not talking about so much weight where you can't actually lift, but rather how do you know the amount of weight you have is hindering your exercise or the what the optimal weight to use is to get the most gain. Remember I'm relatively new to lifting D:

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by richardd View Post
    oh man, that cake batter whey tastes fucking delicious 1st thing in the morning! But... i still like my cookies'n'cream ya ya, kiss my ass lol. it tastes like sex to me

edit: aww dammits its 11:30, i need to get a real job
    So it's good stuff? Have any kind of taste you'd compare it to? I've wanted to try the cake batter for awhile
    Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    what do you guys do to keep from shredding your hands on things like dead lifts? i refuse to wear gloves and look like a homo
    lol

why can't I quote an entire thread's worth of posts? RLpix is too perfect

is your form starting to suffer, or are you missing a LOT of reps (more than just 1 at the end of your last set, or something)?

remember it's always better to start too light and take the time to work on your form, than go too heavy and hit a brick wall or injure yourself.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Not sure if anyone uses Mega Men, I think I recall someone throwing the name around as an ok-multi, so here's some deals for anyone interested: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/36920

Men's Vitamins

* Mega Men (90 caplets) $10
    * Mega Men Sport (90 caplets) $10
    * Mega Men 50 Plus (60 caplets) $10
    * Mega Men Heart Multivitamin (90-cnt) $10
    * Mega Men Energy & Metabolism (90-cnt) $10
    * More Mens Vitamins

Women's Vitamins

* Ultra Mega (90 caplets) $10
    * Womens Ultra Mega (120-cnt) $10
    * Ultra Mega Active (90 caplets) $10
    * Ultra Mega Bone Density (120-cnt) $10
    * Ultra Mega 50 Plus (60 caplets) $10
    * More Womens Vitamins

I used to take mega men until I found out how cheap opti-men were online. That's a pretty good deal though

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    is your form starting to suffer, or are you missing a LOT of reps (more than just 1 at the end of your last set, or something)?

remember it's always better to start too light and take the time to work on your form, than go too heavy and hit a brick wall or injure yourself.
    Well primarily I've been starting off light to just get the feel of things. I just I guess, want to know how to gauge how much weight to gradually add without potentially hurting myself over time, should I be more concerned with poor form, if I notice it which I might not, or inability to complete reps?

if you're eating well enough you can probably add 5-10 lbs (maybe 10 to start, tapering off to 5 after a few weeks) to upper body lifts every time you lift, and 10-15 lbs to complex lifts like deadlift/squat. It definitely will get too heavy at some point, but you'll know it when it happens. Usually I can tell during a set if I won't be able to add another 5 lbs in a few days.

But like I said, if you get a feeling that your form is wonky on an exercise take it slow and learn the proper movement, since that's a lot more important than potentially having a few weeks of slow gains.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Got up to 105 (personal high) on decline bench (put up 6 or 7 reps on it) but I hadn't done chest day in a couple of weeks because of vacation, so I got fatigued pretty quick for the rest of my exercises.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by *Shinzon* View Post
    So, how do you know when you have too much weight when lifting? I'm sure this is stupid question and obviously I'm not talking about so much weight where you can't actually lift, but rather how do you know the amount of weight you have is hindering your exercise or the what the optimal weight to use is to get the most gain. Remember I'm relatively new to lifting D:
    i don't mean to sound like yoda, but when you stop feeling the muscle heh. At that point you're lifting with momentum, supplemental muscles and tendons. another way could be when you're unable to hold for a 1 second squeeze at the peak of the movement.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I have a stupid question when talking about adding weight. When you say add 5-10 lbs, do you mean 2 2.5 plates to add 5 lbs? or 2 5lb plates when adding "5 lbs" ? >_> Does that make sense? I feel pansy going up using two 2.5 lb increments for deadlifts and squats... but that equals 5 total lbs. D: I'm ok with increasing my pressing weight with two 2.5 lb plate increments.

5 lbs is 5 lbs total, not two 5s. No one splits it up into 5lbs on each side. Adding 5 lbs means adding 2 2.5's or whatever else would add 5lbs. Why do you feel like a pansy using 2.5s? First of all, its not pansy; and secondly, you are a chick, doing legit exercises...no one is going to look down on you lol.

Would I rather be using two 45s on each side on my bench press? Sure, but I need 130lbs, not 135 lbs...so its a 25-10-5-2.5 on each side instead lol. Is what it is. My squat is actually the same atm lol, 45-25-10-5-2.5 on each side. Kinda feels cool using all the different weight levels on each side actually (no 35s at my gym).

Up to 70 lbs on standing shoulder press...man I love this movement. I had a sort of awesome moment when I did all reps on 5x5 my second attempt at doing 70lbs: I could tell by middle of the 4th set this was not going to go easy, and somehow I got pissed off enough to finish those 5 reps. Then 5th set comes around and I'm tired as shit, so I somehow channeled this massive amount of rage into focusing on doing the last set...I've never been that angry lifting before, managed to get all 5 even though I was sure I would fail after the first 1. rrawr

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

How many weeks into 5x5 are you zoolander?

3 and 1/3 weeks, have my 11th workout tomorrow. Definitely a good program, although as I said earlier I am struggling with lower back pain. I actually subbed out the squat two days ago and just did leg press instead to give my lower back a rest, which seems to have helped. (first time I did leg press in some time lol, I am significantly stronger from all these squats - did 300lbs using I think 5x5 sets, prolly could have done more but figured 300 was a good number).

Edit: Well, looking at the StrongLifts FAQ and what not, I might change around my squat to 3x5 pretty soon, since I am almost up to 1.5x my body weight which is the time they say you will likely stall out (and I have somewhat, @215 now). Maybe that will give my back a little bit of a break too.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    Got up to 105 (personal high) on decline bench (put up 6 or 7 reps on it) but I hadn't done chest day in a couple of weeks because of vacation, so I got fatigued pretty quick for the rest of my exercises.
    You must be pretty skinny? What do you weight?

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

augh, I need to do squats\

edit: @omni well I was 150, but I've been losing weight since summer started. I weighed myself the other day and I hope to god the scale was off because I was 130 and there was no way I lost 14 lbs over 3 weeks during vacation.

6'3" 140 we'll say

Old Merits
    BG Level

That seems a bit low?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoolander View Post
    5 lbs is 5 lbs total, not two 5s. No one splits it up into 5lbs on each side. Adding 5 lbs means adding 2 2.5's or whatever else would add 5lbs. Why do you feel like a pansy using 2.5s? First of all, its not pansy; and secondly, you are a chick, doing legit exercises...no one is going to look down on you lol.

Would I rather be using two 45s on each side on my bench press? Sure, but I need 130lbs, not 135 lbs...so its a 25-10-5-2.5 on each side instead lol. Is what it is. My squat is actually the same atm lol, 45-25-10-5-2.5 on each side. Kinda feels cool using all the different weight levels on each side actually (no 35s at my gym).

Up to 70 lbs on standing shoulder press...man I love this movement. I had a sort of awesome moment when I did all reps on 5x5 my second attempt at doing 70lbs: I could tell by middle of the 4th set this was not going to go easy, and somehow I got pissed off enough to finish those 5 reps. Then 5th set comes around and I'm tired as shit, so I somehow channeled this massive amount of rage into focusing on doing the last set...I've never been that angry lifting before, managed to get all 5 even though I was sure I would fail after the first 1. rrawr
    haha yea is definitely my absolute favorite too, you feel so fucking jacked afterward.

also there's nothing wrong with 2 x 2.5lb increments. There's plenty of people who buy links of chains to split it up even further, adding 1-1.25 lbs on each side of the bar (microloading) to get over stalls.

edit: and yea 6'3" 140 is really low D:

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Used to be 125. Small, long frame. High metabolism.

I used to only be able to do the bar on any bench so 105 is an accomplishment lol

Old Merits
    BG Level

That is indeed an accomplishment, but...why are you cutting?

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

I should've been specific, I'm not losing the weight on purpose.