Closed Thread
Page 151 of 730 FirstFirst ... 101 141 149 150 151 152 153 161 201 ... LastLast
    E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Over the past year, I haven't once counted calories per day and I have seen amazing results just by eating right. I'll try to monitor protein intake and make sure I get ample amounts of carbs, vitamin b and other essential nutrients but I don't think counting calories is the way to go. As long as you cut out processed and fries foods, along with unnecessary candy, sweets, and sugars, you do NOT need to count calories. Just eat till you feel you've met your protein and carb goals, snack healthy throughout the day and drink good amounts of water and you will go far.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I'm not sure where else would be appropriate to ask this, but since Sath has asked questions on a similar note I'll give it a shot. We have been trying to eat healthier/save money in the process. I am curious, how long does meat stay good if put in the freezer? I have seen/heard a lot of mixed answers, and my mother-in-law has been trying to pass off higher quality frozen steaks to us (and often times she does not take note of expiration dates). Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Meat View Post
    what an idiotic statement.

because carb cycling works best for me, everything else is useless to everyone else.

and the fact that 100% of the people don't use a ketogenic diet when it's easily the best diet in the world for fat loss says that there's more to diets than outright efficiency.

i spend 40 bucks a month on fiber because i don't believe in toxins
    Meat (man I still feel the urge to call you residue, still feels wrong to say Meat lol) said it better than I could. Think my mind was in different places, dealing with multiple debates when I'm fully involved in one already is a bad idea.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigpapi View Post
    Byrth the bakers man... Lol I remember he was always baking when we played in SA
    lol, I still do! My bread loaf last night sucked though, shit didn't rise. I'm going 50/50 on loaves in the last month, idk what's up. I think maybe I have a bad batch of flour. Going to have to try again tonight, but it just sucks coming up with inventive ways to cook away all this shitty, dense bread.

At the moment in the fridge I have cooked:
    * Shrimp Curry (Shrimp, Rice, Curry powder, Coconut milk, Pineapple Juice, Onion)
    * Tomato Bake (Tomatos, Basil, some of my crappy bread, parmesan cheese)
    * Shitton of Salsa (A few hot peppers from my CSA box, Red/Green Bell Pepper, 6 Tomatoes, Onion, Cilantro, spices - Wear gloves if you ever make this with hot peppers, my fingers still tingle)
    * Turkey Legs/Vegetables (Turkey legs, Celery, Carrots, Onion, slowcooker)

Also, this is 100% the wrong place to suggest this, but Liberte's mediterranean yogurt line tastes awesome. Too bad it has 46% of the daily saturated fat requirement (9g). xD

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Caiti View Post
    I'm not sure where else would be appropriate to ask this, but since Sath has asked questions on a similar note I'll give it a shot. We have been trying to eat healthier/save money in the process. I am curious, how long does meat stay good if put in the freezer? I have seen/heard a lot of mixed answers, and my mother-in-law has been trying to pass off higher quality frozen steaks to us (and often times she does not take note of expiration dates). Any input is appreciated, thanks!
    For the expiration date indicate on the fresh meat, it is only indicate that the expiration date, it is required to be stored in freezer. For me, usually the meat can be stored at least 3-4 weeks up to few months. But most of the time, all of my fresh meat will be done in between 1-2 weeks, since my house has 4 ppl living in it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I know most ppl are against weighted dips and pull ups but I wanted to ask your opinions on it? What rep range should I be aiming for?

The reason I ask is I can complete 4x10 pull ups (hands slightly wider then shoulder width) without using my legs to cheat. This is chin over bar to arms fully stretched. I tried with a 25lb weight yesterday and completed 8 before stopping, today is actually my back/bicep day. So I was thinking I could get 10 clean on the first set then prolly 8, 6-8 and 6-8. Would this be ok to start building up to 4x10 with 25lb weight? When I first started doing pullups I would do 40 reps in as many sets as it took.

Oh yea... We always did parallel squats and a lot of chest workouts in high school. Since I've been doing atg's, deadlifts, pullups , tbar rows and calve raises my PC has filled out so much. My brother took a picture of me from by back side the other day and I didn't even recognize myself lol. It's just I can't really gain any weight.. I've been the same weight for about 4 months but I have much better shape and a lot more vascular. I don't think I can cut the fat off those last 2 abs without looking nasty from veins everywhere.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I'm used to doing weighted dip up on the second set. But after that I just feel lazy, and just do the free weight dip up. The main reason is that it is too annoying to control the plate to not swing around, especially I'm a smaller size people if compared to any western people.

But you may aim for 8 reps for each increment between 5~10lbs. So, with 25lbs maybe you can aim for at least 6 reps? Another way is doing 6 reps of clean as warm up, then 4x8 with weighted.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Caiti View Post
    i've had some chicken i bought from publix in my freezer for almost 7 months. i ate some yesterday and it tasted just fine. we buy an abundance of stuff like that for hurricane season but when they dont come around, we have too many leftover and just buy new ones since we're too lazy to thaw it out. so i imagine you can leave it in as long as you want. im willing to bet that it freezes it at its current state and its just fine from there. even a year +

and if you're trying to eat healthy and cheap, buy 5 dozen eggs at walmart. its like 6 bucks and it lasts a week (well for me at least, im the only one eating em)

and they have these huge 1 lb frozen salmon filets now for 6 bucks. its a bit crumbly when you put it on a real grill, but if you bake it, it comes out just fine. and they still have those other 4 filet packages of salmon for 6 bucks too. i always go there to buy my fish if i dont feel like eating A++++ quality. i go to the meat markets to buy my steaks and chicken, now. i can find me some lean steaks way cheaper than i ever could at normal farmers markets or walmart, and i came across a deal for 2, 10 lb bags of chicken for 8 bucks. you really cant go wrong. only thing that sucks is skinning them, but that's all based on your preference. i cant stand chicken skin and always take it out

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

At one time I was doing dips with up to 65lbs 8 times. Then I moved dips to the very end of my workout before I leave and I can barely get 10 with no weight. I just focus on going down slow and really deep with my chin tucked, then exploding up and looking to the ceiling locking out hard.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Belkin View Post
    Over the past year, I haven't once counted calories per day and I have seen amazing results just by eating right. I'll try to monitor protein intake and make sure I get ample amounts of carbs, vitamin b and other essential nutrients but I don't think counting calories is the way to go. As long as you cut out processed and fries foods, along with unnecessary candy, sweets, and sugars, you do NOT need to count calories. Just eat till you feel you've met your protein and carb goals, snack healthy throughout the day and drink good amounts of water and you will go far.
    it depends on your size. lets switch bodies with our current eating habits, and i bet i will put muscle in your body while you lose some in mine lol. the bigger you are, the harder it is to maintain. i count calories to take in as a minimum, after i pass that, i dont count anymore. but really after 3.3k im done for the day lol. the easiest part about this lifestyle is going to the gym and working out. that's fun. the hardest part is having to take in 30 grams of protein every 3 hours, which can get on anyone's nerves after awhile. luckily we all get used to it, but i get irritated when the 3 hours pass up and im in at the beach swimming, knowing my body can still digest some more meats to repair my legs and ass from its muscle tissue tears

@byrth: you are such a cutey pie

Quote Originally Posted by Belkin View Post
    People really need to stop the whole "this is what worked for me, therefore it must be true for everyone" bullshit. Some people need to count calories, work out more, work out less, etc. based on age/metabolism/genetics. Of course cutting out processed and unhealthy foods is helpful, but not everyone's body works the same way yours does.

So I am going to try this whole working out thing finally, instead of distance training. I think I am going to set my weight goal at or around 270. I will probably keep a blog or something about it and then post results as they come in. So expect me to be posting in here more often.

Banned.

BG Level

who's against weighted dips and pull ups, who i say?

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    People really need to stop the whole "this is what worked for me, therefore it must be true for everyone" bullshit. Some people need to count calories, work out more, work out less, etc. based on age/metabolism/genetics. Of course cutting out processed and unhealthy foods is helpful, but not everyone's body works the same way yours does.
    Actually, what I found is that some people may forget to mention about what is their age, height and weight when propose the good idea that work for them. I'm also used to I can eat whatever I want, no needed for calories count but still able to maintain my weight. However, after getting past the age of 22, my body weight increased for 5-6lbs for every year, while maintain the same eating habit as the age before 22.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    So then why are people in this thread giving each other personal advice based on their experiences more often than not? I'm offering the suggestion to eat HEALTHY rather than stress about having to count calories on a daily basis (for a maximum, not a minimum like richardd suggested). If I would have cut out the first part and made the post totally objective you probably wouldn't have said shit >=/

because saying "counting calories is unnecessary" is more than a little ridiculous even if you're saying it objectively.

A few years back I lost around 40 lbs just cleaning up my diet as well without calorie counting, but not everyone has the luxury of having my metabolism and activity level. I think you'd be surprised how fucked up most people's notions of portion control and nutrition is. Remember, calorie counting is just as much about education as it is weight loss. You can definitely clean up your diet and still maintain/gain weight, so for a lot of people it's important to retrain themselves about poor food choices and eating habits picked up as a child.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Meat View Post
    who's against weighted dips and pull ups, who i say?
    Eh, I just read a lot negative feedback on weighted dips and pull ups mostly. Seems like most ppl assume your using poor form when doing them I guess.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Anyone that is getting into the double digit reps for max effort pull ups/dips should be looking into moving to weighted pull-ups/dips unless they are training for endurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    Eh, I just read a lot negative feedback on weighted dips and pull ups mostly. Seems like most ppl assume your using poor form when doing them I guess.
    I have negative stances on weighted pullups because I am of the opinion that people that need to make pullups more difficult can go die in a fire.

Banned.

BG Level

i can get about 6 with an extra 55lbs strapped on, i'm sure it'll go up when i up my carbs again.. in rampant narcissism news, who wants to watch me workout for 2mins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42e_9fTar4A