Closed Thread
Page 51 of 730 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast
    Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

One thing I'd really recommend if you haven't exercised in a long while is to stretch, stretch, stretch.

Spend around 20+ minutes stretching when you wake up, before you exercise and before you go to sleep. It keeps the muscles loose, blood flowing, lesser injury etc. I've seen too many people neglect it and just fall apart the next morning.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

when you do pushups, make sure you do it right the 1st time. i used to do em half ass and never had my chest parallel to the deck which should go down enough to touch someone's thumb if they were to spot you. keep aiming for it, even if you have to start with your knees. dont make the same mistake i did, and have to re-learn it. its annoying and frustrating lol.

but thats good you're pursuing it. when i 1st started, i couldnt even do 5, so dont be discouraged if you feel like you cant do as much as you should, you'll get there as long as you're consistent with it.

pullups is on a whole other lvl. that's one exercise i wish i had in my life longer, even if i can only do 2-3 lol. it KILLS the hell out of any other bicep workout imo and works the fuck out of your back. dont go too crazy on those. you should focus on squats and pushups 1st before you add those in your lifestyle on a normal everyday basis.

right now, i do 120 pushups a day split between 3-4 reps, and i cant tell you how much my triceps love me for that. its my fav exercise. sometimes if im working overtime, ill just drop down and do em until i cant do em anymore. its def something you should never overlook. you can never be too fit to NOT have to to pushups. the most fit ppl on earth still do pushups on a regular basis.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Dezso View Post
    One thing I'd really recommend if you haven't exercised in a long while is to stretch, stretch, stretch..
    This a number of times over.

I stretch every single time before I begin exercising and it really does make a huge difference especially if you are out of shape. The one time I forgot to stretch due to time constraints I wasn't able to exercise for as long (see twenty or so minutes less that session) as I wanted to.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

In an effort to find out what overtraining really is, I'm about to start on this split:
    A day
    Flat bench
    Incline DB press
    SOHP
    Tri pulldown
    Dips to failurex3

B day
    Squat
    Deadlift(second B day of each week)
    Bent row
    Lat pulldown
    Pullups to failurex3(neutral grip)

M T W R F Sa Su
    A B A B A B

I'm going to see if I can pull that off for three weeks and if I can, keep going...thoughts?

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I just wanted to say that I never stretch, and I think it's overrated.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    I just wanted to say that I never stretch, and I think it's overrated.
    i thought that was normal with runners

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by ozz View Post
    In an effort to find out what overtraining really is, I'm about to start on this split:
    A day
    Flat bench
    Incline DB press
    SOHP
    Tri pulldown
    Dips to failurex3

B day
    Squat
    Deadlift(second B day of each week)
    Bent row
    Lat pulldown
    Pullups to failurex3(neutral grip)

M T W R F Sa Su
    A B A B A B

I'm going to see if I can pull that off for three weeks and if I can, keep going...thoughts?
    Why do you want to find out what overtraining feels like??

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Weiing View Post
    Why do you want to find out what overtraining feels like??
    because i think most people drastically overstate its effects/how hard you can go before seeing them

and to tyche, I don't stretch either, shit doesn't help http://newszine.jou.ufl.edu/science/...efore-work-out

Old Merits
    BG Level

because i think most people drastically overstate its effects/how hard you can go before seeing them
    Ok. Tell me how it goes. Interested to see.

GATTACA!

BG Level

and to tyche, I don't stretch either, shit doesn't help http://newszine.jou.ufl.edu/science/...efore-work-out
    If you read the article, it suggests mostly ballistic stretching pre-workout, and static post-workout, which is pretty common knowledge. Not "stretching is bad mmmkay."

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kumbai View Post
    How many push ups/pull ups should I be aiming to do to get started with?
    You may able to do 5-10 push ups, but you may not able to do 1 pull ups at all. That's normal, because pull ups requires more body muscle compared to push up.

For cardio, what I'm suggest is bike for like 30mins, then jog+walk for about 15mins. You will find that your leg muscle easy get exchausted when jogging, and again, it is a normal case.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    i thought that was normal with runners
    Not really, most runners stretch like mad. Before races, you'll see people bent over rocks and poles and whatever piece of land they can throw their leg on. I will do some slow jogging before a race to get the legs warmed up and try to shake any pre-race jitters.

Also, overtraining is really easy to test. Find out what your resting heart rate is, then put on a heart rate monitor and check it after you wake up in the morning. If it's inflated, you're probably overtraining.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    If you read the article, it suggests mostly ballistic stretching pre-workout, and static post-workout, which is pretty common knowledge. Not "stretching is bad mmmkay."
    One thing I'd really recommend if you haven't exercised in a long while is to stretch, stretch, stretch.

Spend around 20+ minutes stretching when you wake up, before you exercise and before you go to sleep. It keeps the muscles loose, blood flowing, lesser injury etc. I've seen too many people neglect it and just fall apart the next morning.
    common knowledge is never all that common

Quote Originally Posted by Kumbai View Post
    Okay, thanks
    If you're looking to do stuff at home you may want to hit up http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ and have a wee browse.

There's a lot of articles on there based around stuff you can do at home, with little to no equipment, and even with improvised equipment.

I've only got the link to the prison workout handy but I know for a fact the site has been linked in the thread/forums a few times so you can do a search for the URL to find the links or just visit the site and kill time.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

what do you guys do for cardio after you do heavy lifting? i usually do about 40 min of Elliptical or Treadmill, but im thinking of just doing 20 min of the HIT running now, lol. but i dont know how to set the pace for cadio for someone my size. 1 min of walking followed by 30 sec sprints?

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Ladder workouts are good HIT workouts.

200m-400m-600m-800m-600m-400m-200m

Do short RIs (30 or 90 seconds) between the sets.

Sanoske

Squats and deadlifts, 3 times a week?

Either you've never done these 2 exercises before, or you're not doing them right.... otherwise you'd already know that you will never pull that off for more than a week. Two weeks if you have a really high tolerance for not being able to move.

Pointless test is pointless.

On another topic, the stretching debate is interesting. I saw an article posted on a another forum I go to.

I'd like to start by stating how much I enjoy reading this thread. Nice enviroment, often helpful, solid advice and ideas, interesting testimonials... Sometimes its inspirational

Sadly, I havent participated at all mostly because even though I got a good idea of a few fitness/body building concepts, I also realise I am ignorant enough not to want to post half-assed advice. That and I lack a lot of the technical vocabulary :/

Anyway, I got a couple probably silly questions:

- I really liked the benchpress routine Archi has been posting about and I was trying to decide if I could incorporate it in the one I am following.

My current routine consists of 4 days a week, in which I do 5 or 6 exercises, 3 series of 8. It goes like: Day 1 (Chest & triceps), day 2 (back and biceps), day 3 (legs & 1 hour of cardio), day 4 (shoulders), with sit-ups scattered around (and obviously they are worked while doing the other exercises anyway). Basically I put as many weight as I can to barely complete the series. If I do the 3x8 okish I will add more weight next time and probably do like 8-7-6, then do them better and add weight again, etc. Archi's benchpress routine (http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/benchpgm.htm) seems kinda hardcore and intensive(at least compared to just doing 3x8 steady benchpresses before) and I was thinking that maybe if I do it I shouldnt do the other 3 chest related exercises, which would be a little shitty since I like the idea of training the muscles through different angles. Am I being a pussy and I could follow that bench press routine and still do my usual inclined dumbell press, push-ups and such? Just want to make sure I dont overwork the muscles and instead of gaining strenght I end up losing it or hitting a plateau.

- About cardio. I would like to burn like 4kg of fat but my main focus at the moment is gaining strength and building muscle, so I havent done much cardio at all not to gimp the muscular gains, pretty much just 5 minutes to warm up. Recently decided to incorporate 1 hour of cardio a week since it is so few that it shouldnt affect much my muscular development. During this one hour I do my best and end up as destroyed. However, I feel 1 hour a week is probably laughable as an attempt to lose some fat, and was wondering if adding another hour a week would gimp my muscular gains or is still a cardio effort low enough to not affect it much. Should I just do the typical bulk-cut thing and just pretty much forget about cardio (not more than like 20 minutes per exercise day) and then do some intensive cardio weeks here and there (while still maintaining the weights routines) to cut back? Another idea would be to do swimming instead of cycling/running/elliptical as it involves a lot of the muscles and even if it doesnt help them develop that much, should at least not gimp them? No idea though, and I am also not sure if I could tough it up and last swimming as long as I do cycling/running/elliptical to be able to burn a similar amount of kcal.

Thanks for any insight, and also again for the nice thread. Apologies for the wall of text as well~

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Darlantan View Post
    Archi's benchpress routine (http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/benchpgm.htm) seems kinda hardcore and intensive(at least compared to just doing 3x8 steading benchpresses before) and I was thinking that maybe if I do it I shouldnt do the other 3 chest related exercises, which would be a little shitty since I like the idea of training the muscles through different angles. Am I being a pussy and I could follow that bench press routine and still do my usual inclined dumbell press, push-ups and such? Just want to make sure I dont overwork the muscles and instead of gaining strenght I end up losing it or hitting a plateau.
    With your routine your chest/triceps will have plenty of time to recover. I do that routine plus incline dumbell press, decline press, and a variety of tricep work on a 3-workout rotation. You'll be fine on a 4-workout rotation.

Sounds good, I will try it out starting next Monday, then. Thanks! Also, good luck achieving your 150% body weight bench press goal man. I'll do it one day.