FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Milkster View Post
    Jeez...

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Has anyone read the articles on FFMI and natural genetic potential? I ran across a few last weekend and it was the first I've heard of it or paid attention. I'm right around 25 right now which would be close and my dream goal of 200lbs and theoretically 200lbs and 10% bf would be impossible drug free.

Currently 188lbs @10% bf 5'9 = 25.2 (Guestimate but I'm having a hydro static test Saturday)
    200lbs @ 10% would put me over 26.5 and 8% would put me over 27.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Technique , technique , technique. I went from getting 1 sloppy ring muscle up to stringing 7-8 together. Go go false grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    Has anyone read the articles on FFMI and natural genetic potential? I ran across a few last weekend and it was the first I've heard of it or paid attention. I'm right around 25 right now which would be close and my dream goal of 200lbs and theoretically 200lbs and 10% bf would be impossible drug free.

Currently 188lbs @10% bf 5'9 = 25.2 (Guestimate but I'm having a hydro static test Saturday)
    200lbs @ 10% would put me over 26.5 and 8% would put me over 27.
    I started reading more about it following your mention of it here; definitely interesting stuff.

It seems to make perfect sense and I'd like to think it's definitely better than BMI, but at the same time in browsing through some forums where people claimed different FFMI numbers with vastly different physiques... it's hard to grasp how accurate it is (and how much of it is [likely] just people using inaccurate BF/caliper measurements).

I 'feel' as though I'm close to a limit, as my progress has gradually slowed, and a FFMI of 23.1 seems to support that well enough. I think my ideal weight would still be about 180lbs and ~8-10% BF, but I'm at that 8-10% and ~173 lbs now.

Good number to keep in mind, nonetheless.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by RKenshin View Post
    I started reading more about it following your mention of it here; definitely interesting stuff.

It seems to make perfect sense and I'd like to think it's definitely better than BMI, but at the same time in browsing through some forums where people claimed different FFMI numbers with vastly different physiques... it's hard to grasp how accurate it is (and how much of it is [likely] just people using inaccurate BF/caliper measurements).

I 'feel' as though I'm close to a limit, as my progress has gradually slowed, and a FFMI of 23.1 seems to support that well enough. I think my ideal weight would still be about 180lbs and ~8-10% BF, but I'm at that 8-10% and ~173 lbs now.

Good number to keep in mind, nonetheless.
    Its body the bf calipers or rather someone underestimating their bf%. The numbers make sense to me since I can gain weight (muscle and fat) keeping the ffmi the same but as soon as I try to drop fat I loose a large % of muscle with the fat keeping my ffmi the same.

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

FFMI is only useful when comparing people that are about to step on stage for a bodybuilding show otherwise the results are all over the place and not consistent enough to be reliable.

Thinking of changing up my routine a bit to a AxBxAxxBxAxB type deal. Right now I do ABxABCxx so not a huge change but with my new job I need to workout from home a little bit more.

Question is, a lot of these routines and shit you read online are geared towards "natural" bodybuilding/physique plans, but honestly seem to be better suited for people on steroids/hgh/what-not. Does a 5x5 or 5/3/1 work for people not on anything? I've read in a few places that as long as you go to failure and build up on weight then the amount of reps don't really play to much of a part. So 5x5 at a certain weight is similar to 3x10.

Personally, I just about always do a 4-5 sets of 8 reps (usually 5 for my first compound/major lifts, which I typically start each day with... and 4 for everything else.).

I've tried 5, but I feel like I'm more prone to injury, and it's more difficult if I have an existing injury (which I've had a few minor ones that lasted months).

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Thinking of changing up my routine a bit to a AxBxAxxBxAxB type deal. Right now I do ABxABCxx so not a huge change but with my new job I need to workout from home a little bit more.

Question is, a lot of these routines and shit you read online are geared towards "natural" bodybuilding/physique plans, but honestly seem to be better suited for people on steroids/hgh/what-not. Does a 5x5 or 5/3/1 work for people not on anything? I've read in a few places that as long as you go to failure and build up on weight then the amount of reps don't really play to much of a part. So 5x5 at a certain weight is similar to 3x10.
    5/3/1 is more of a monthly progression for advanced lifters. It's up there with Sheiko, Coan/Phillipi, Smolov, GVT, etc. Starting Strength, GSLP, ICF, SL 5x5 are beginner ABA BAB rotating programs for beginners. Are you looking for more strength or aesthetics?

Aesthetics to be honest. Was looking at P/P/L the other day and started to try that out this week. Doing just a basic 3x8-10/F/F rotation on the lifts. I used to do shoulders on bicep/back day not really thinking they were being worked some during some of my compounds with chest.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Worked up to 385 back squat today. Getting really close to my 3 4 5 plate b s d goal! Maybe within the next 4 weeks I'll get vids.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

So yeah, shoulders fucking suck when they go. Been dealing with mine for 4 years, i can flat bench 285 1rm, and it hurts, but manageable. I pick up anything over 55lbs to do dumbell press, and im lucky to get the weight into position. Preeeetty sure nothing is gonna make it right except surgery. Fucking stupid.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

So I did dumbbell lunges for the first time ever today. I looked like a freaking newborn colt trying to walk for the first time. Wobbling like mad. Embarrassing, but damn is it effective.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Overhead?

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Aesthetics to be honest. Was looking at P/P/L the other day and started to try that out this week. Doing just a basic 3x8-10/F/F rotation on the lifts. I used to do shoulders on bicep/back day not really thinking they were being worked some during some of my compounds with chest.
    http://www.rohitnair.net/pp/

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by shepardG View Post
    So yeah, shoulders fucking suck when they go. Been dealing with mine for 4 years, i can flat bench 285 1rm, and it hurts, but manageable. I pick up anything over 55lbs to do dumbell press, and im lucky to get the weight into position. Preeeetty sure nothing is gonna make it right except surgery. Fucking stupid.
    Some of the movements and mobility I started doing with cross fit corrected my shoulder problems. The snatch, laying off the bench press some, more overhead movements and thoracic spine/ shoulder mobility. My AC joint problems went away and my traps are even on both sides now.

I'm still working on my lower half mobility but its like I start working on one thing and that causes another issue to start showing itself.