Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fishing Guide :: 1-100     submit to reddit submit to twitter

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Guess it's ok for newbies, personally I didn't fish *any* of those fish besides Lik/Gugrusaurus

Insert witty title here
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I used this for a while, and if you can stand to be in Nashmau for days and days straight, it's nice, but I had to stop after a bit. I took some time off from Nashmau and hit the boat to get some marlin and ended up going 1/1 on Pirate's Chart. I know that will come back to fuck me in the butt if/when I start on Ebisu. -.-

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Great guide... I never really thought of Nashmau.
    I went to 55 in Bubu on Shall Shells and Bluetail. And now that I have my Lu's, I'm doing Trumpets in Vunkerl. It would be nice to get some decent gilz instantly without waiting on the AH though, as well.

Imma see if I can figure out this MMM fishing thing too... but I'm almost completely ignorant of how to get it going. I did a few JP pickup MMM parties, but I didnt really know how they got what they got.

I am eagerly awaiting cdgreg's writeup for MMM noobs like me. Keep up the great work guys.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Also should add my parses on fishing aprons effect, and that I will definitely stand by for sure.

Hold on I'll try and find the page where I posted my parsings, but to boil it down, I found two things for the Fishing Apron's effect:

#1 it does consider monsters as "items", in other words don't wear this when going after angel skin as it actually puts you at a disadvantage.

#2 when its effect does come into play, all it does is replace an "item" with a "you didn't catch anything" message. It does not increase the bites of fish over time.

The only effective use of this item is for consumable baits, as jellyfish are considered items. IE gugrasauruses, the apron will make your meatballs last much longer by cutting down the jellyfish/monsters.

Other than that, I could see the apron's effect having been much more useful years ago when we didnt have stamina fishing, or messages.

To finish, my parses have shown the Apron's effect at about a 50% proc rate.

IMO get waders over apron and use fishing body instead at legendaries, as the slight lowered line snap rate is far more valuable than saving a couple meatballs.

Hipster Fisherman
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by urat View Post
    Also should add my parses on fishing aprons effect, and that I will definitely stand by for sure.

Hold on I'll try and find the page where I posted my parsings, but to boil it down, I found two things for the Fishing Apron's effect:

#1 it does consider monsters as "items", in other words don't wear this when going after angel skin as it actually puts you at a disadvantage.

#2 when its effect does come into play, all it does is replace an "item" with a "you didn't catch anything" message. It does not increase the bites of fish over time.

The only effective use of this item is for consumable baits, as jellyfish are considered items. IE gugrasauruses, the apron will make your meatballs last much longer by cutting down the jellyfish/monsters.

Other than that, I could see the apron's effect having been much more useful years ago when we didnt have stamina fishing, or messages.

To finish, my parses have shown the Apron's effect at about a 50% proc rate.

IMO get waders over apron and use fishing body instead at legendaries, as the slight lowered line snap rate is far more valuable than saving a couple meatballs.
    Of course, now with the new fishing apron being introduced (the fishing apron with +1 fishing skill), the decision of what to use is a lot more simple. But your findings are still useful until someone is able acquire the +1 apron.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by nibu View Post
    Of course, now with the new fishing apron being introduced (the fishing apron with +1 fishing skill), the decision of what to use is a lot more simple. But your findings are still useful until someone is able acquire the +1 apron.
    You mean the new apron that has the same bonus as my Angler's Tunica?

Hipster Fisherman
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Seyrr View Post
    You mean the new apron that has the same bonus as my Angler's Tunica?
    http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=11337

I mean the new apron that reduces fishing up items AND has +1 fishing skill.

Unless I'm unaware of a hidden effect from the Angler's Tunica

It probably won't make much of a difference either way, but given the choice between either perk, or both, well, I'd go with both.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by nibu View Post
    http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=11337

I mean the new apron that reduces fishing up items AND has +1 fishing skill.

Unless I'm unaware of a hidden effect from the Angler's Tunica

It probably won't make much of a difference either way, but given the choice between either perk, or both, well, I'd go with both.
    Oh. As listed on FFXIclopedia, it's fishing skill and synergy damage -25%. My mistake!

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Fishing skill ups?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

holy crap @ necro bump!

But in all seriousness. What are these "fishing skill ups" you speak of? I haven't seen one in SO LONG! Perpetually stuck at 94 fishing and NOT by choice.