Black Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chrian Kywind
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

man I remember buying guild wars and taking map travel granted as well. But seeing Elementalist in GuildWars2 just makes it seem like I'll be having fun all over again.

The game looks really beautiful and intriguing, tho I really dont have any slightest clue about its release "true" release date. Would be sad to have it completely overlap with FF14 or Cataclysm

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

http://www.guildwars2.com/global/inc...care-thumb.jpg
    Was pretty funneh.

The elementalist vids were neat. I wonder if those are more like cutscenes or just creative camera control in-game.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Soooo... I recently installed Windows 7 and just haven't been around BG for awhile...
    but I'm back. Glad to see some other thoughtful people posted the new info while I was away.

While some of this stuff was already been posted/mentioned/linked, a few things might've
    been overlooked, and in keeping with the format of the thread, I gotta post it all here.
    Thanks for the MBs, admins!

Guild Wars 2 Design Manifesto
    by Mike O'Brien April 27th, 2010

http://www.arena.net/blog/wp-content...00-655x217.jpg

[ "…if you hate traditional MMORPGs, then you should really check out Guild Wars 2" ]

This week, we’re celebrating the 5th anniversary of the release of Guild Wars. Coincidentally, this year also marks the 10th anniversary of the founding of ArenaNet. We founded this company because we wanted to shake up a risk-averse industry, and show that game companies don’t have to just keep making the same games over and over again to be successful. We believe that gamers want to try new things, new experiences, and that they’ll reward the companies who can bring them something new.

[ "We took this opportunity to question everything, and we have some exciting answers for you today" ]

So five years ago we released Guild Wars, which was really a new thing. It was an RPG, but it also had elements of a strategy game; unlike most RPGs it was inspired more by Magic: The Gathering than D&D, and it was an online world with no monthly fees. We called it a CORPG but the ‘net raged with debates about whether or not it was an MMORPG. However you categorized it didn’t matter; it was a fun, new, different experience. We thought we could sell a million copies, and we ended up selling over 6 million.

We’re not going to rest on our laurels now. We started this company to innovate and bring players new experiences. Guild Wars 2 is the perfect game for Guild Wars players, but it’s not just the same game repeated again. We took this opportunity to question everything, and we have some exciting answers for you today.

The first thing you should know about Guild Wars 2 is that, this time around, there’s no question that it’s an MMORPG. It’s an enormous, persistent, living, social world, filled with a wide variety of combat and non-combat activities. There’s so much depth here that you’re never going to run out of new things to discover.

So if you love MMORPGs, you should check out Guild Wars 2. But if you hate traditional MMORPGs, then you should really check out Guild Wars 2. Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs. It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill; it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun rather than just having fun; and of course, it doesn’t have a monthly fee.

Shouldn’t great MMORPGs be great RPGs too?

http://www.arena.net/blog/wp-content...45-600x450.jpg

[ "Each time you play through the game, you can experience a different storyline" ]

It sometimes feels like our industry has thrown the baby out with the bathwater. When you play an RPG, you want to experience a compelling and memorable storyline. You want your choices to matter. You want your actions to leave their mark on the world. Let’s start demanding those things of MMOs too.

The original Guild Wars was known for the level of storytelling it brought to online RPGs, so with GW2 we obviously wanted to take it to the next level. In GW you experience the story of the world, but the story in GW2 is the personal story of your character as well. You fill out a biography at character creation time that defines your background and your place within the world, and that starts you on your path. Then the choices you make will take the story in different directions. Each time you play through the game, you can experience a different storyline.

Some games mostly tell story through quest text. But we’ve all clicked so many exclamation points and accepted so many quests in our lives that we’re pretty immune to quest text at this point. GW2 tells story by allowing the player to befriend and adventure with key characters, by presenting him with moral dilemmas that will impact the lives of the people around him, and by having him live through world-changing events and all the key moments of the storyline.

In addition to great storyline and important player choices, another hallmark of great RPGs is that they create a world that feels real and alive. Let’s say a village is being terrorized by bandits. You don’t want to find out about that because there’s a villager standing there motionless with an exclamation mark over his head who says when you click on him, “Help, we’re being terrorized by bandits.” You want to find out like you would in GW2: because the bandits are attacking, chasing villagers through the streets, slaying them and setting their houses on fire. You can stand up for the villagers, or you can watch their village burn to the ground and then deal with the consequences. We’ve worked hard to create a living, dynamic world for you, where there’s always something new to do.

It’s time to make MMORPGs more social

http://www.arena.net/blog/wp-content...01-600x450.jpg

[ "With GW2 there’s a third option too: you can just naturally play with all the people around you" ]

MMOs are social games. So why do they sometimes seem to work so hard to punish you for playing with other players? If I’m out hunting and another player walks by, shouldn’t I welcome his help, rather than worrying that he’s going to steal my kills or consume all the mobs I wanted to kill? Or if I want to play with someone, shouldn’t we naturally have the same goals and objectives, rather than discovering that we’re in the same area but working on a different set of quests?

We think of GW2 as the first MMO that actually has a cooperative PvE experience. When I’m out hunting and suddenly there’s a huge explosion over the next hill – the ground is shaking and smoke is pouring into the sky – I’m going to want to investigate, and most other players in the area will too. Or if the sky darkens on a sunny day, and I look up and see a dragon circling overhead preparing to attack, I know I’d better fight or flee, and everyone around me knows that too.

With traditional MMOs you can choose to solo or you can find a good guild or party to play with. With GW2 there’s a third option too: you can just naturally play with all the people around you. I personally spend a big chunk of my time in traditional MMOs soloing, but when I play GW2 I always find myself naturally working with everyone around me to accomplish world objectives, and before long we find ourselves saying, “Hey, there’s a bunch of us here; let’s see if we can take down the swamp boss together,” without ever having bothered to form a party.

Of course GW2 has great support for parties, but they just don’t feel as necessary as they do in other MMOs, because your interests are always aligned with all other nearby players anyway. When someone kills a monster, not just that player’s party but everyone who was seriously involved in the fight gets 100% of the XP and loot for the kill. When an event is happening in the world – when the bandits are terrorizing a village – everyone in the area has the same motivation, and when the event ends, everyone gets rewarded.

We even redesigned the competitive part of the game to be friendly like this. Now worlds can compete against each other, through the mists that separate them, for scarce resources that benefit an entire world. Joining this PvP competition is completely optional, just like it was in the original GW, but if you do compete you’re now going to find that your world welcomes you with open arms. You don’t have to join a party to join the fight. All you have to do is get out there and start helping. Everyone has the same objective, and if your world can get 501 people working for the same goal, that’s only going to be more helpful than 500 people.

Rethinking combat

http://www.arena.net/blog/wp-content...47-600x450.jpg

[ "Combat needs to be about making creative choices, and it needs to feel immediate, active, and visceral" ]

Finally, since combat is such a core part of the gameplay of any MMO, we’ve put a lot of emphasis into rethinking combat. So much of traditional MMO combat is rote and repetitive. You execute the same strategy over and over again, just augmented over time with better and better gear. After a while it starts to feel like you’re playing a spreadsheet.

Combat needs to be about making creative choices, and it needs to feel immediate, active, and visceral. So we’ve put a huge focus on strengthening our combat, giving the player limitless choices, and providing the thrill and joy of being in combat.

The original GW featured a CCG-like skill system that allowed each player to discover unique combos and new strategies. Theoretically every Elementalist in the game could approach combat with a different strategy. In fact players found thousands of interesting strategies over the years, most of which our designers never anticipated, which is always the sign of a flexible system.

GW2 shares this flexible skill system. The big difference is that now skills are much more visual in explaining what they do. The process of actually discovering combos, or understanding them when they’re used against you, is a lot more clear, because you can visually see how skills combo with each other. An Elementalist can cast Fire Wall next to an opponent, and then switch to Water attunement, which freezes all enemies around him. Using the concussive force of Water Trident, he can slam his frozen enemy into the Fire Wall, leaving him to roast in the flames.

GW2 adds even more possibilities for distinguishing yourself in combat. Now you can choose a race, and each race comes with unique combat abilities, such as the Norn’s ability to transform himself into a bear. And now you can build up and select traits for your character which give you new intrinsic abilities, such as the Elementalist’s Stone Boots trait, which keeps his feet firmly planted on the ground even when an attack or skill effect would normally toss him through the air.

Like the original GW, in GW2 the creativity doesn’t end with your own character. When you play with others, you’ll find that your abilities can complement theirs, and that you can discover new skill combos and strategies between professions. So if you’re playing an Elementalist, try casting a fire wall, and then see what happens when your friends shoot projectiles through it.

Then we add environmental weapons to mix up combat even more. In the original GW you’d sometimes find a catapult or trebuchet that you could take over and fire at enemies. That’s one type of environmental weapon, and in GW2 we have dozens more. If a Stone Elemental throws a boulder at you, pick it up and throw it back. Or as an Elementalist, use that boulder to create a meteor storm. If you’re fighting an Oakheart with an axe and you manage to hack off a branch, pick up the branch and try using it as a weapon. If you meet a beekeeper outside town, buy a jar of bees from him and see what happens when you lob it at nearby enemies. If you come across a stash of powder kegs, don’t just blow them up in place, but try moving them to where they can do the most damage. If a centaur wheels a siege machine up to the outskirts of a village, don’t just destroy it; take it over and use it to turn the tide of battle.

And while you’re discovering new opportunities, new weapons, new combos, and new strategies, you’re surrounded by the pure visceral joy of combat. Smash a monster with a plank and watch him fly through the air. Avoid the Oakheart’s roots as they creep out of the ground looking to entangle you. Launch yourself on a sweeping attack that takes you behind your enemy. Smash open the garrison gate and begin your assault. Dodge out of the way before the Drake Broodmother unleashes her fire attack.

It all gets back to our basic design philosophy. Our games aren’t about preparing to have fun, or about grinding for a future fun reward. Our games are designed to be fun from moment to moment.

Guild Wars 2 is a deep and rich game, and we have so much more to tell you. What I covered here is just the tip of the iceberg. So in the coming days we’ll be releasing a series of in-depth articles on different aspects of the game. The first one is written by our lead designer, Eric Flannum, and will tell you all about our combat systems.

This is an exciting time for ArenaNet. We’re a company of passionate gamers with one mission: to make Guild Wars 2 the best MMORPG ever created. We are a 150+ person development team and we’re betting our company on Guild Wars 2. If this sounds like the kind of game you’ve been waiting for, join us on Facebook and Twitter, and help us get the word out to other gamers as well. As you’re reading this, we’re playing the game constantly, tweaking it and polishing it, adding more content, and getting it ready for you. Over the next few months we’ll be revealing more and more about the game, and we’ll be working with our community every step of the way. Because in the end, this isn’t just our game – we want it to be yours as well – and we can’t wait to play it with you.

Mike O’Brien

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

[[removed]]

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Five Years in Tyria
    by James Phinney April 28th, 2010 | more on: anniversary

http://www.arena.net/blog/wp-content...en-655x217.jpg

[ "Tyria has been not just a place for our characters to adventure, but a home for all of us who have spent much time in these lands" ]

The last day dawns on the Kingdom of Ascalon. Five years ago, with those words, the world of Tyria came alive. For many of us, that was the beginning of an epic journey that included warring kingdoms, an unexpected change in scenery, a mysterious doppelganger, a crystal dragon, and a treacherous lich.

In the years since, we’ve fought the Iron Forgeman, saved an empire, battled a god, befriended new races, and single-handedly defeated Palawa Joko, the Scourge of Vabbi, at the Battle of Jahai. We’ve watched guilds compete for international championships, gained and lost the Favor of the Gods, unlocked elites at a Priest of Balthazar, and witnessed the corruption of the Tombs of Primeval Kings. We’ve started and broken win streaks, run relics and captured altars, reconnected with friends, observed ATs, and invented builds and tactics no one else had tried before.

We’ve opened birthday presents, used a Signet of Capture after killing a boss, coveted Koss’ hair, groaned at the Mad King’s jokes, applied inscriptions and insignias to make exactly the gear we wanted, collected holiday hats, put crafting materials into storage, visited an anatomical engineer, chugged transmogrifier tonics, tracked down the Traveler, and yelled “This is Hard Mode!” We’ve formed guilds, helped out strangers, argued politics in Lion’s Arch, and made real-life friends who we’ve never actually met. In short, Tyria has been not just a place for our characters to adventure, but a home for all of us who have spent much time in these lands.

For those of us here at ArenaNet, the years we’ve put into Guild Wars have been a labor of love. For a game developer, there’s no greater joy than watching people enjoy your game, and all the words of appreciation and support we’ve received over the years have meant the world to us. We continue to strive to make Tyria worthy of the time and attention you give it and to make Guild Wars a better and better game. Five years and counting, and we’re not done yet. Thank you for playing and happy anniversary, everyone!

http://www.arena.net/blog/wp-content...en-150x150.jpghttp://www.arena.net/blog/wp-content...ty-150x150.jpghttp://www.arena.net/blog/wp-content...es-150x150.jpghttp://www.arena.net/blog/wp-content...ng-150x150.jpg
    http://www.arena.net/blog/wp-content...ll-150x150.jpghttp://www.arena.net/blog/wp-content...mp-150x150.jpghttp://www.arena.net/blog/wp-content...mp-150x150.jpghttp://www.arena.net/blog/wp-content...en-150x150.jpg

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Nine GW2 Follow Up Questions with Eric Flannum
    by Regina Buenaobra | May 5th, 2010 | share with: Facebook | Twitter | Digg | reddit | StumbleUpon

http://www.arena.net/blog/wp-content...blogheader.jpg

We dropped a lot of Guild Wars 2 info on you last week. From details about the Guild Wars 2 combat system, to the introduction of the Elementalist, to studio head Mike O’Brien’s MMO Manifesto, there was a lot of new stuff to absorb. As we expected, you had questions.

We scoured the Internet to find the most commonly asked community questions about Guild Wars 2, and then we bugged Lead Designer Eric Flannum for some answers. Here’s what we found out!

Question 1: We’ve read some concerns about limitations of a 10-slot skill bar. Some players feel that it’s inflexible and doesn’t allow for enough creativity in making a build. What say you?

Eric: Think of it this way: you have 5 slots that you can slot freely, with the caveat that you have to bring one heal and one elite skill. Your other 5 skills are determined by the weapon set you bring. Most professions can equip two weapon sets and switch freely between them in combat, even stringing together combinations of attacks between them. That means you have access to 15 skills at any given time and you make a minimum of 7 choices (9 at most) to determine what those skills are. Yes, we do restrict some of your choices to particular categories, but there is still a lot of choice there.

If you use the CCG paradigm to explain our skill system, we went from a system with almost no deck building restrictions in Guild Wars to one that has some necessary and sane deck building restrictions in Guild Wars 2. The new system is much friendlier to new players and to those players who either aren’t interested in the deck building aspect (or are just not that good at it), but it still allows advanced players to come up with literally hundreds of combinations to trash their opponents with. One of our designers did the math and the possible number of combinations is in the millions. This system also allows us to more easily balance the game and maintain that balance.

Question 2: We know that players who choose to play norn will be able to shapeshift using a skill. So, when you shape change, the skill bar changes to reflect the form you shape changed into?

Eric: Absolutely, yes.

Question 3: Let’s clear up this whole “anti-social” gaming thing that players read on Kotaku and IGN. Is Guild Wars 2 an anti-social game?

Eric: “Anti-social” is a bit of a mischaracterization. It wasn't meant that the gameplay system in Guild Wars 2 makes the game less social; it actually makes it more social. As Mike stated in his blog post, you can still group and join guilds, and you can still go off and play by yourself if you desire.

However, Guild Wars 2 offers another social approach: you can just choose to play with the people who happen to be around you while you’re out adventuring. This is made possible through shared goals, dynamic content scaling, and more forgiving rules on loot and XP distribution.

Question 4: Speaking of loot and XP, there were a lot of questions about XP distribution among players who participate in a dynamic event in Guild Wars 2. Will this system reward leeches? How do you determine whether someone gets credit for participating in an event?

Eric: Because all events are different, each event has its own criteria for determining participation that gauges who actually made a decent effort at participating. It’s designed to give no credit or lower credit to players who were AFK during an event or just did a fly-by, using only a few skills and moved on.

Question 5: So you won’t be able to skip in, tag a mob for minimal damage, have someone else kill it and still get significant XP?

Eric: Well, that really depends on what you mean by minimal damage, but the short answer is no. The intention of the system is to encourage players to participate in cooperative battles. We don’t define participation as either idling and doing nothing, or using one skill to simply tag a monster.

Question 6: Guild Wars 2 is a big, persistent MMO. Some players out there have expressed concerns about the loss of instancing, since this means that there may be negative people in public areas.

Eric: There are always going to be negative people in public areas, which is something we’re well aware of. However, with its more social gameplay, Guild Wars 2 takes away most of the ways that other players can negatively impact your play experience. Shared goals means that “mob ownership” issues are almost non-existent. More forgiving loot and XP rules make kill-stealing a thing of the past. Of course, there are many ways players can find to disrupt each other’s play experiences, and it is our goal to limit those types of interactions wherever they occur. These are just some of the things that we’re doing to ensure that playing Guild Wars 2 is as enjoyable and grief-free an experience as possible.

Question 7: Can you comment on the “companion” system that we discussed very early in the development of Guild Wars 2?

Eric: Early in the development stage, we worked on the concept of a single “companion” NPC who would accompany the player, but we soon determined that it wasn’t necessary. We’ve developed Guild Wars 2 so that it’s a completely soloable experience due to our profession design, dynamically scaling content, and the social approach to events. And, since Guild Wars 2 is a persistent world, we can’t really let each character run around with a full party of NPCs in tow.

We’ve designed the eight professions to be self-sufficient; everyone has some form of self-healing and they all have a wide range of skills that allow them to play solo. Our events scale dynamically, so we can accommodate solo play as well as a multiple parties who want to participate in the same content. Plus, the social framework of the game encourages group play and casual grouping.

Because of these factors, we decided that we didn’t need the companion system and could focus our efforts on making the professions that do use pets very distinctive and cool. We’ll be talking more about that as we further reveal the GW2 professions.

Question 8: Will there be non-combat activities in Guild Wars 2 such as crafting, cooking, fishing, etc?

Eric: There’s more to Guild Wars 2 than our combat system -- we have a wide variety of non-combat activities in the game. All of the major cities in Guild Wars 2 will feature games and activities that people can play regardless of their level. You can slug it out in a bar brawl, test your aim in a shooting gallery, or ride the Smash ‘Em Ups at the carnival.

Question 9: Will players be able to change their profession after character creation, or will they need to create a new character (edit: free; up to 10 characters in Guild Wars 1) to change professions?

Eric: Players will be unable to change a character's profession in Guild Wars 2. We’ve designed each profession in the game to be very distinct and different from each other, and many of our game systems take that into account. Because of this, it’s not easy for us to change the profession of a character once they’ve been created.

Thanks, Eric, for taking the time to answer these questions!

Copyright 2000-2010 ArenaNet, All Rights Reserved.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

via kotaku.com

Guild Wars "Beyond" Lays a
    Foundation For Guild Wars 2

by Michael Fahey | Apr 16, 2010 09:40 AM
    http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...4/500x_war.jpg

If you're interested in playing a part in the events leading up to Guild Wars 2 now is the time, as NCsoft and ArenaNet launch Guild Wars Beyond, an ongoing campaign allowing players to take part in world-changing events.

When Guild Wars 2 is released, players will find themselves in a very different Tyria. 250 years in the future, Queen Jennah leads the once dominant human race, now struggling to survive. How did this come about? Guild Wars players can find out now in the War in Kryta, the first event of Guild Wars Beyond.

The War in Kryta sees players taking part in the struggle between the White Mantel zealots and the Shining Blade rebels, the latter of which seeks to restore the Kryta monarchy and install Princess Salma as queen, insuring that 250 years in the future, Salma's descendant, Queen Jennah, is on the throne.

See what they did there?

Deepening the sense of participating in important events, players are now able to purchase White Mantle and Shining Blade costumes for their character, showing their allegiance and looking pretty damn stylish at the same time.

Guild Wars Beyond is an ongoing campaign, so players can expect to meet more important figures from Guild Wars present and future in the coming months, all leading up to the eventual release of Guild Wars 2.

I love this idea. Letting players participate in the events that lead to Guild Wars 2 invests them in the lore of that game, deepening the immersion, as well as the urge to stay with the series as it matures. Well done, ArenaNet!

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...ents-overview/

http://www.guildwars2.com/global/inc...iew-header.gif

http://www.guildwars2.com/global/inc...ic-article.jpg

Introduction

My name is Colin Johanson, and I'm the Lead Content Designer for Guild Wars 2. The content design team is responsible for developing what happens in the events, storyline, mini-games, and any other content you encounter in the Guild Wars 2 world. In this article I'm going to focus on explaining how the dynamic event system we've developed for Guild Wars 2 works, and how it challenges the fundamental ways content has been presented to players in traditional MMORPGs.

http://www.guildwars2.com/global/inc...ynamic-001.jpg

Quests: A flawed content type

When building an MMO, we had to examine every core piece of accepted content from traditional games in the genre and ask, "How can this be improved?" By looking at the traditional quest system used in basically every MMO ever made, we've come to the conclusion that quests have a lot of areas for improvement. To address these flaws, we've developed our dynamic event system.

Traditional quest systems involve walking up to a character who usually has an exclamation point or question mark hovering over their head and talking to them. From here, you get a massive wall of text hardly anyone reads that describes a horrible or totally mundane thing going on in the world that you need to help with. You run off, complete this task, then return and talk to this character again to receive another wall of text and a reward. Traditional quest systems rely on these blocks of quest text to tell you what is happening in the world; this is just an outdated form of storytelling.

In Guild Wars 2, our event system won't make you read a huge quest description to find out what's going on. You'll experience it by seeing and hearing things in the world. If a dragon is attacking, you won't read three paragraphs telling you about it, you'll see buildings exploding in giant balls of fire, and hear characters in the game world screaming about a dragon attack. You'll hear guards from nearby cities trying to recruit players to go help fight the dragon, and see huge clouds of smoke in the distance, rising from the village under siege.

There is a second fundamental flaw to traditional quest systems: what the quest text tells you is happening in a quest is not actually what is happening in the world.

For example, in a traditional MMO, the character who gives you a quest will tell you ogres are coming to destroy the character's home, and you need to kill them. You then get a quest which says, "Kill 0/10 ogres" and you proceed to kill a bunch of ogres standing around in a field picking daisies. Since every player in the game needs to be able to do this quest, the ogres will never actually threaten the character's home - they will just eternally pick daisies in the field. The ogres aren't actually doing what the quest says they are - the game is lying to you!

At ArenaNet, we believe this is NOT good enough. In Guild Wars 2, if a character tells you ogres are coming to destroy a house, they will really come and smash down the house if you don't stop them!

http://www.guildwars2.com/global/inc...ynamic-002.jpg

A living, breathing world

By building a world where you see and hear the experiences, Guild Wars 2 will evolve the MMORPG genre by making a game world that feels truly alive. The core of this evolution is our event system, which allows the world to dynamically change based on actions and decisions made by the players. A single player decision can cascade across a zone, changing the direction of a chain of events until they dramatically alter the content played by players in a map.

Other developers have tried to tackle this problem, but in Guild Wars 2 we go further. Where other multi-player quest systems were pass or fail - our dynamic events evolve in response to player interaction and the outcomes they achieve. Where previous systems reset and start again and really don't change the world, dynamic events chain and cascade across a zone and leave persistent effects in the game world after the event has ended.

In traditional MMOs, when a quest is completed it has no real effect on the game world. You receive your reward and then move on, looking for the next quest to do. The world appears no better or worse for your actions. In GW2, the outcome of every event will directly affect the game world around you. If an enemy dredge army is marching out of their main base, players will be asked to mobilize with their allies and help destroy the army. If the dredge army is defeated, other events will cascade out from there. Players will be able battle their way inside the dredge base, face off against their commander, rescue captured friendly troops being held in the dredge prisons, and even hold the captured base while fighting waves of dredge, who arrive from deep underground to try and take back their home.

If, on the other hand, players fail to destroy the army, it will establish a fort in friendly player territory. From there, the dredge will send shipments of troops and supplies to the fort from the main base while building up walls, turrets, and siege engines to help defend it. Enemy dredge forces will then begin to move out from their newly established fort to attack friendly player locations in the area, sending snipers out into the hills, sending assault team forces to capture friendly player villages, and trying to smash down friendly fortifications with massive dredge walkers. All of these events continue to cascade out into further chains of events where cause and effect is directly related to the player's actions.

For example, if the players do not mobilize to stop the dredge snipers, they'll begin to shoot down all the villagers and merchants in nearby friendly villages. If they fail to stop the dredge assault teams from capturing a village, players will need to lead a force to help liberate the town and free the villagers. All of this content is derived from a single initial event - the dredge army marching through the map.

These are just some of the thousands of events we've designed in Guild Wars 2, where every action taken by the players will have direct, visible, cause and effect in the game world.

http://www.guildwars2.com/global/inc...ents-comic.jpg

Putting the "MMO" back in "MMORPG"

One of the challenges of a massively multiplayer game is building a game world where hundreds of players are able to interact together and feel a sense of community, not a sense of threat, from other players playing with them. One of the great flaws of content in most traditional MMOs is that players generally cannot actually play together unless they are in a group, and the content types actively encourage them not to interact, or worse, become hostile, when another player is nearby.

Traditional MMO quest systems will send multiple players off to kill a boss. One player kills the boss and gets the loot. The rest of the players have to stand around and wait their turn for the boss to re-spawn so they can kill it and get credit for it. You don't want other players around you because they're stealing your kills and slowing your rate of achievement. MMOs are supposed to be about hundreds, if not thousands of players, playing together in a community, not putting them in the same world and then pushing them apart!

The event system in Guild Wars 2 is designed to specifically address this problem. All players that fully participate in an event are rewarded for doing so; everyone who helps kill a monster or blow up an enemy catapult will get credit for doing so. There is no kill stealing and no quest camping. Everyone works together towards the common goal of the event and everyone is rewarded for doing so. To help ensure there is always enough for everyone to do, our events dynamically scale, so the more players who show up and participate in the event, the more enemies show up to fight them. If a bunch of players leave the event, it will dynamically scale back down so it can be completed by the people who are still there playing it. This careful balance created by our dynamic scaling system helps ensure you have the best and most rewarding play experience.

Events are designed to help bring the community together and to give everyone a shared sense of responsibility and camaraderie in the game world. Even if you're not grouped up with someone, you'll only be rewarded for having more players come help you with an event! In Guild Wars 2, when you see another player you'll actually be excited to see them, where in traditional MMOs you generally think, "Oh great, here comes a guy to steal my kills." Through our internal game testing so far, it's been remarkable to see how well this idea has functioned in practice. Our entire studio has experienced countless moments where we've been drawn together to parts of a map to do events and felt a strong bond with other players; a truly dynamically created sense of community born out of the event system.

http://www.guildwars2.com/global/inc...ynamic-003.jpg

Benefits to re-play and exploring

There are two very common types of MMO players that generally are not specifically catered to by traditional games in the genre. One is the explorer who wants to explore every nook and cranny of the game world. The other, even more common, wants to make alternate characters and play through the game as many different ways with as many different characters as possible (aka the altoholic). In Guild Wars 2, we're using our event system to help cater to these kinds of players in ways no one has ever attempted before.

For the explorer, much of the joy comes from discovering new things. In a traditional MMO, the explorer gets to explore a vast world, but after they have explored it once, there is nothing left for the explorer to do, because the game world does not change. The game becomes stale, and much of the joy is lost when the explorer has run out of things to discover. Our dynamic event system in Guild Wars 2 ensures this sense of joy from discovery is never lost in the game world! Every time you enter any map in the game, completely different events and situations could be occurring to discover in a new and different way. A village that was previously filled with friendly norn could, on a return trip, have been taken over by evil Sons of Svanir who are now using it as a base of operations and have put up their own architecture in place of the norn's. This dynamically changing world will create the ultimate sense of discovery for the explorer.

As an added bonus, we've also hidden hundreds of events all over the world that require interaction with the game world. This helps give an extra sense of reward and discovery for those who seek to explore the entire world. Finding an entrance to a secret cave deep at the bottom of the ocean and removing a glowing orb from the cave could let an evil creature loose from its ancient prison and kick off a chain of events as the creature terrorizes the ocean shipping lanes. Reading the spells written on an ancient wizard's spell book in a ruined castle at the top of the highest mountain peak could open a portal to another world and trigger a chain of events as creatures from that world come through the portal. GW2 is all about being a game for every type of gamer, and we're specifically using the event system to make this possible.

Because the world is constantly changing through our event system, we've created a living, breathing environment that is especially rewarding for altoholics. The event system will help ensure that every new character you create has a truly unique experience when playing through the game world, making playing new characters more fun and rewarding than in traditional MMOs.

What's next

MMOs have become extremely popular, but the genre has done little to evolve over the past decade. Generally MMO players explore an unchanging, persistent game world, leveling up by performing quests which do not change the world in any way once completed. It's time for the genre to take the next step, and explore the idea of a truly dynamic, living, breathing persistent world where the player's actions really make a difference, and everything that occurs in the game world has cause and effect. The event system in Guild Wars 2 is going to bring this concept of a dynamic world to life for our players and we cannot wait till you all get a chance to play it with us. You won't be disappointed.

While this article covers how the event system will fix many of the core flaws with quests in traditional MMOs, it does not address some of the other flaw in the genre, like a lack of character development and overall sense of personal story. Ree Soesbee, one of our world designers on Guild Wars 2, will be following this article with her own look into the personal story system we're developing to solve these fundamental problems. If our dynamic event system is putting the "MMO" back in "MMORPG," then Ree's article will show you how our personal story system is putting the "RPG" back in the "MMORPG." You won't want to miss it!

http://www.guildwars2.com/global/inc...ter-border.png
    © 2010 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved. Guild Wars 2, ArenaNet, NCsoft, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Banned.

BG Level

Dude, what the hell is wrong with your font?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Link Roundup: Personal Storylines and More!
    by David Campbell May 28th, 2010

This week, Lore & Continuity Designer Ree Soesbee explained the Guild Wars 2 personal storyline system in detail, and even threw in some juicy lore details! Let’s take a quick tour around the Internet and see what everybody had to say about the customizable personal storyline, the War in Kryta, combat mechanics, and much more!

* Ree Soesbee touched base with the PC Gamer Blog for a talk about the personal quest chain, home instancing, character biographies, and a lot more. Plus: new screenshots, including a pretty shot of a couple of GW2 deer! We like deer.

* IGN liked the concept of dynamic events, and adding a personalized storyline into the mix is just fine with them. “Every time we hear something new about Guild Wars 2 we get more and more excited.”

* Massively broke down Ree’s personal story article, and was intrigued by the possibilities inherent in a customizable MMO that mixes dynamic events with personal storylines.

* The ZAM staff continues its Guild Wars 2 coverage with a discussion of the mechanics behind the combat system they saw in action during a recent trip to ArenaNet!

* Rubi over at Massively took a look at the new War in Kryta bounties, the inimitable Courier Falken (“Falken… PUNCH!”), and new loot! It pays to be a rebel.

* Ten Ton Hammer’s “Anatomy of a Skill Bar” is just what it sounds like: a detailed analysis of how the skill bar has been redesigned for Guild Wars 2.

* Kotaku digs the idea of character creation that goes way beyond just selecting race and class, judging by this post.

* Man, they’ve been busy over at Massively this week! Somehow they found time to interview designers Eric Flannum, John Hargrove, and Ree Soesbee about everything from crafting to instanced dungeons.

* Speak German? Awesome, then you will understand every word of Ree Soesbee’s interview with Buffed.de about Guild Wars 2’s personal story system.

* Authors Jeff Grubb and Matt Forbeck talked with Booklife about collaborating on Ghosts of Ascalon, the upcoming Guild Wars novel.

* The French sites Jeux Video and Jeux Video PC like what they’ve heard about the customizable personal storyline so far!

...and that’s a wrap. We’re going to enjoy the long Memorial Day holiday, so we’ll see you on Tuesday! Have a great weekend, everyone.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

ArenaNet Hits the Convention Circuit
    by Chris Lye, June 2nd, 2010

June marks the official beginning of summer, that time of year when a young gamer’s heart turns to conventions! In that spirit, let’s walk through what we’ve got planned for Guild Wars 2 and the convention circuit.

E3 – First, let’s get one of the most-asked questions out of the way. We are not going to be on the floor at E3, because we have mixed feelings about E3. While it can be a great centralized way to meet press and retailers, it’s anti-fan. As the marketing guy, if I’m going to spend a boatload of money on a booth, videos, props, and so on, I want to be able to share it with the folks who’ll geek-out on it the most – the fans! IMO, E3 could steal a page from GamesCom, which is a combination of a civilized business/industry area and a showy exhibit hall that’s open to consumers. If they did that, E3 would be a no-brainer in my book.

San Diego Comic-Con (July 22-25) – This is traditionally not a big show for us, but this year our City of Heroes brethren are graciously sharing their booth with us. We’ll be celebrating the release of our first novel, Ghosts of Ascalon, with free copies and signings with authors Matt Forbeck and Jeff Grubb. In addition, we’ll have fan favorite artists Rich Anderson, Kekai Kotaki, and Kristen Perry available for signings of the Art of Guild Wars 2 and just to chat about art. Community manager Regina Buenaobra and I will also be on-hand to meet with fans – or just chat about comics!

GamesCom (August 19-22) – This is the big one folks! I’m happy to announce that we will unveil the first public hands-on demo of Guild Wars 2 at gamescom in Cologne, Germany. If you want to be the first in your guild to play GW2 (and you’re in Europe), this is the show to attend. Naturally, we’ll have tons of ArenaNet staff on-hand, including studio head Mike O’Brien and German community manager Martin Kerstein, plus lots of cool activities. But let’s face it; we know it’s all about the game. We’ll have more details about the GW2 demo in the near future.

PAX Prime (September 3-5) – PAX is our favorite trade show. It’s in our hometown of Seattle and we love Penny Arcade. As some of you have astutely noted, ArenaNet is always at this show in full force, so expect to meet your favorite artists, designers, and community people... along with hands-on demo stations of Guild Wars 2! If you’ve attended PAX before, you know we always have a lot going on. So much, in fact, that we’re going to need a separate follow-up post to go into more detail.

Stay tuned...

New Odin
    BG Level

Those one liners were dumb.

Other than that, it looks quite solid. Really love the attention put to mobs.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Nice vids. Hope actual gameplay does end up looking that detailed.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Those one liners were dumb, but that looks great. I've been trying to get some titles done before GW2 comes out, but not I can't wait.

Wow I've never played GW1 but these videos look so visceral and the audio and sounds of the weapons and mobs are pretty amazing. Graphics are gorgeous, damn i might have to pick it up.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Guild Wars 2 Grabs Axe, Sets Off on Journey
    June 10, 2010 by Becky Cunningham at RPGamer.comhttp://www.rpgamer.com/games/guildwa...ildwars230.jpg

Guild Wars 2 appears to be shaping up nicely.

ArenaNet have posted a number of intriguing features on the official site recently. The Warrior profession has been introduced, the traits system has been detailed, and an extensive discussion of the player's personal journey has been posted.

Warriors, as expected, are heavily armored melee combatants. Different weapon choices will give warriors access to different skills and styles of play. For instance, sword warriors are highly mobile, and jump around the battlefield applying bleed attacks to enemies. Hammer warriors, on the other hand, concentrate on gigantic blows that stagger enemies. Guild Wars 2 retains the adrenaline system from Guild Wars, in which warriors build up adrenaline as they fight, then expend it for powerful attacks. It introduces extremely powerful "burst skills", which use up all built-up adrenaline.

Lore & Continuity Designer Ree Soesbee posted an extensive overview of Guild Wars 2's personal story system. The system begins at character creation, where after choosing a race and profession, players are asked to answer a number of biography questions about their character. Biography questions will shape the character's journey through the game in various ways, from how NPCs react to the character to which quests are available.

Throughout a character's progress through the main game, there will be major choices to make that will affect the game world and the character's experience with the story. Some choices will grant the character cosmetic rewards such as titles and special outfits, though story choices will not affect a character's power or ability (thus ensuring that there are no "right" or "wrong" choices in terms of game mechanics). Overall, the system aims to provide a focus on individual characters, causing the player to feel as though their own story is important within the larger events of the game world.

Finally, the traits system provides a way for player to modify their character's skills and abilities. Traits are collected by completing "profession challenges" scattered around the world. Different professions have different types of challenges; for example, warriors generally train physically to gain new traits, while Elementalists seek out arcane lore. Once learned, characters will need to choose which traits to equip on a character, selecting enhancements that work well with the character's particular build.

For more Guild Wars 2 images, see our latest screenshot gallery.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Guild Wars 2: Killing Time Without Killing
    "Shank your friends with a broken beer bottle." by Nick Kolan, June 30, 2010

Much has been revealed over the last few months about Guild Wars 2, ArenaNet's ambitious MMORPG; from the dynamic event system which aims to ensure that players never have the same experience twice, to the storytelling that allows players to take different paths in their mission to better the world of Tyria. Every time we hear more about it, we anxiously rub our hands together, and eagerly await the day we get to put the game to the test. We recently spoke to the Guild Wars 2 team about a couple more features to be thrown into the broth, but this time the focus was not on story or combat, but on relaxation.

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/arti...341009-000.jpg

Guild Wars 2 is set to contain activities. That is, things that players can do that have no bearing whatsoever on the game's storyline or the characters progression, and which are not altered by such either. They are there purely for fun and variety – to give players who are burnt out from monster slaying an opportunity to do something that feels different, while staying within the scope of the game world with the ability to set out with (or against!) your buddies.

One of the more exciting examples of the activities ArenaNet has planned is the bar brawl, which removes the player's weapon and pits them in a battle royale where the environment is the only thing that can give them an edge. Picking up a beer stein and smashing it over the head of another patron, for example, is an acceptable – even encouraged – course of action. As is chugging a beer and spewing its toxic contents, or waiting until the last moment to get the killing blow on a worn-down enemy. It's an activity that is far-flung from the tight, organized combat we can expect from the main game. "The nice thing about working on activities is that, where we want to, we can take the core mechanics and just toss them out," says Game Designer John Stumme.

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/arti...411274-000.jpg

There will also be activities that aren't as focused on combat, such as a set of instruments that players can use. A shooting gallery was also mentioned, although it was unclear how it would function. Will it use similar combat mechanics to the main game, or will it play more like a first-person-shooter? We posed this question to the team, but it went unanswered, so we may have to simply wait and find out. Also unclear was just how players can get in on these activities. We were told some could be hot-joined (joining the game while it is in progress) and some would require players to queue up, though which was which was never explained.

Fun derived from these activities should be reward enough in and of itself, but for those of you who hate having fun and enjoyment, there will also be a reward system. "We will be giving both tangible and intangible rewards from doing well in activities," Stumme told us. This would include, he said, skins for items that you might not be able to obtain elsewhere. "We also want NPCS that are reacting to you. If you just clean the floor with everybody at the bar brawl, you'd want guys saying 'Just as soon as there stops being three of you, I'm gonna knock your lights out next time.'"

It is extremely likely that these activities will also be linked to the Guild Wars 2 achievement system. Achievements will function much like they have in other games – completing or mastering something will unlock an achievement so you can have a record of it. Some may also unlock special titles for your character. Achievements are, however, bound to your account and not your character, meaning you can't gain an achievement on two different characters on a single account. The reason is due to the nature of some of the achievements (one requires you to master every weapon-type in the game, and no single character can do that), and due to the nature of the branching gameplay. There won't be any direct gameplay rewards from achievements, because if you've received an achievement, then you've mastered that aspect of the game, and won't need anything to be better at it.

Feats are another feature we discussed. Feats are like little daily achievements that give the player more immediately achievable goals that reward the player with experience upon completion. The feats vary depending on what you do. "One of the feats is just a simple kill-count," said Game Designer Curtis Johnson, explaining that as the player killed ten, twenty, a hundred enemies, they would complete that feat. "As that goes on and players reach each threshold, they get harder and harder to achieve." There may also be feats for slaying a certain number of different types of enemies. The idea is to both make casual players advance more efficiently in the time they are playing (like rested experience in other games) and to encourage a variety of actions. Feats run in the background regardless of what you are doing, and will reset daily.

Personality is another aspect being introduced. Previously known as diplomacy, in Guild Wars 2, it serves to establish the type of character you are playing. Over time, the way you respond to NPCs will categorize you as a certain personality archetype, and from there NPCs will act differently, and your actions towards them will change. The example we were given was the "badass" character who would use intimidation to obtain food or an experience buff from an NPC. A more honorable character might inspire the NPC to help, or talk them into it. The end result is the same, but the means are different. In that respect, personality is mostly cosmetic, but it aids players in getting into the spirit of their character. If role-playing is your thing, then personality is going to help you define and maintain your role.

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/arti...434258-000.jpg

Finally, we discussed maps. Maps may not be the most thrilling thing ever (that honor goes to high-speed dinosaur shootouts in space), but in massive open-world MMOs, they're an integral part of an enjoyable experience. "While it's not groundbreaking," admits Game Designer Ben Miller, "it's certainly a solid, core part of the overall game." For Guild Wars 2, the team looked at a lot of the newer mapping technology that has sprung up throughout the internet, and have utilized many of the same techniques as sites like Yahoo and Google Maps to make it easy to use, including the ability to click-and-slide and zoom in. Getting from one side of the map to another in the game world will likely require the use of an Asura Gate, which can be found in the main cities.

If we are to be honest, we were surprised by what we were told about the activities system. Until now, Guild Wars had been sounding extremely layered, dense, and for a lack of a better word, serious. Activities seem to provide an outlet for the developer's wackier side, and let players blow off a little steam without getting bogged down in a massive quest. We can't wait to try the game out for the first time at Gamescom this August.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Death In Guild Wars 2 Borrows A Page From Modern Warfare
    by Mike Fahey

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...500x_death.jpg

The fact that your player keeps fighting after he or she dies in Guild Wars 2 is almost as shocking as the fact that the game has no dedicated healer class. ArenaNet's Jon Peters, Eric Flannum, and Isaiah Cartwright explain.

Guild Wars 2 isn't going to be your average massively-multiplayer role-playing game. Developer ArenaNet has made that perfectly clear countless times since the follow-up to the original free-to-play MMO was first revealed. Each new feature that comes to light draws it further and further away from standard MMO conventions, and that's got fans of the genre excited.

Take death, for instance. When you die in other MMO titles you generally have to either wait for a healer to come resurrect you, or respawn near your corpse with some sort of temporary penalty placed on your stats. Sometimes you even lose experience points. Dying can really kill the fun of a gameplay session.

But death is isn't the end in Guild Wars 2.

As the game's lead developer Eric Flannum puts it, "We wanted Guild Wars 2 to be a game about taking chances, taking risks, and exciting gameplay. Not a game about not dying."

To that effect, the death system in Guild Wars 2 takes a cue from shooters like Modern Warfare. "One of the things we're not shy about is looking at other genres and going 'this is fun in other games, why can't we take it and make it work in the MMO space?" says Flannum.

Much like Modern Warfare's Last Stand perk or Borderlands' Second Wind mechanic, when you die, you enter what is called a down state. In your down state, you have four skills you can use to try and take down your attackers, three dictated by your class, and one available to all classes.

Should you manage to exact revenge before your consciousness meter runs out, you'll rally, getting back up on your feet and back into the game.

If you do die, you can either wait for a player to revive you - all character classes in Guild Wars 2 can revive - or ravel to any previously visited waypoint and revive there for a small fee.

The fact that every class can revive demonstrates another key feature of Guild Wars 2. There are no dedicated healing classes. Each character is in charge of his or her own healing.

"All the healing that happens in the game - the main meat of healing is your personal heal skill," says Isaiah Cartwright, one of the game's designers. "You are in charge of your health. Other people can help you and support you say by pulling a creature off of you, or provide minor healing, but nothing as effective as you do yourself. "

Not only are there no main healers, there are no main tanks, and no DPS. These archetypal roles, commonly accepted as standard in other MMOs, have no place in Guild Wars 2.

But how can that possibly work? Don't you need an assigned tank, someone to heal that tank, and someone to do damage? That's not the way Guild Wars 2 is built. Each class will be able to take on different roles.

Why? Because it cuts down on two major problems inherit in today's MMO titles. First, you won't need to make sure your party has a good healing class and a good tanking class, and other classes won't have to sit on the sidelines, waiting for a tank or healer to free up for them.

Second, it stops parties from getting trashed when the tank or healer goes down. Says Cartwright, ""In those games when your tank goes down and your healer doesn't, you're done for. Any single profession mistake done for. In Guild Wars 2, if your tank goes down, one of your DPA switches and can hold while you get your tank back in the fray. "

But what about those folks who enjoy being the healer or the tank? The ones that feel important in their roles? Flannum says they'll just have to share the glory.

"We don't want the game to value one profession over the other. We want everyone to feel like they are wanted. Instead of grouping with someone because they are a good healer or a good tank, we want people to group with others because they're a cool player to interact with, cool player…those things matter more."

And it makes for cooler gameplay as well. The dynamic nature of death and the healing roles make for amazing storytelling moments, like the one game designer Jon Peters relayed to me during our interview.

"Eric and Isaiah were playing just the other day, and they pulled too many creatures. Both went down. Isaiah used a skill called Vengeance to revive himself, and then revived Eric, who used a skill to become temporarily invulnerable. Isaiah's Vengeance wears off, Eric revives him, and they go on to win the fight."

Those are the sort of magic moments missing from many of today's MMOs. It could make Guild Wars 2 stand out from the rest of the pack.

According to Flannum, these big changes to the genre come from ArenaNet's dedication to their vision.

"One of the things we're doing that I think we don't see other companies doing as much, is we're embracing the direction we're taking. You can do it part-ways, or you can just go for it"

Sounds like ArenaNet is definitely going for it.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets..._dyingchar.jpg

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...alingskill.jpg

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...ayerres_01.jpg

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 213 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast