Sandpaper Demon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snowman Emperor
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

kickass, I really hope that GW2 delivers and is unlike any other MMO when it finally hits, it seems to be shaping up that way and i"m really hoping that the game is so different that people won't be able just boil it down to boring repetitive gameplay* that plagues other MMOs

*i mean like in WoW and FFXI where you basically find out what the best specs are, only go those specs because they're the only 'worthwhile' ones type of thing, i'm hoping GW2 is dynamic enough to never really have a 'best' build for any given archetype, i know we see a lot of that in the original and i'm hoping that GW2 is able to expand on that

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

That ranger video has me excited.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...ssions/ranger/
    More than just the video. Most notably: PET SHARK HOLY SHIT GOTY.

Sandpaper Demon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snowman Emperor
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

GW2 is shaping up to be better and better the more they release, I can't tell if I'm more excited for this or FFXIV

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Ramor View Post
    GW2 is shaping up to be better and better the more they release, I can't tell if I'm more excited for this or FFXIV
    I'd be happy if both were badass. And a good showing from rift or tera would be icing on the cake...

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Obviously i'm excited about Rift, but the more i see from GW2 the more i like.

This will be a nice game to play alongside TOR, to get my fantasy fix in. I much prefer fantasy to sci-fi.

I hate to say it, and Hyan will probably yell at me, but XIV seems to be on the bottom of my list. Good thing it'll have a 6 month head start.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://www.massively.com/2010/07/29/...nfirmed-at-80/

It's been a huge question for months: What will be the level cap for Guild Wars 2? Eager fans have grabbed onto every piece of information looking for clues over time, and tonight Isaiah "Izzy" Cartwright, Guild Wars 2 game designer, confirmed it: the level cap will be 80.

No, hold on, there's still no grind. Grind in most games with a high level cap comes in because it takes longer to level the higher you go. In Guild Wars 2, this is not an issue, says Izzy: "Instead of taking longer and longer to reach each level, it takes about the same time to go through each level."

In short, it's still all about the content and the journey, and you won't find yourself stuck at level 60, endlessly grinding the same mob to advance. Check out the newest ArenaNet blog post for all the information.
    http://www.arena.net/blog/progressio...rs-2#more-2828

Hi, my name is Isaiah Cartwright (Izzy, as some like to call me), and I’m a Game Designer for Guild Wars 2. Today I’d like to talk about a subject near and dear to my heart: character progression in Guild Wars 2.

You know that point in other MMOs when, after playing for a few hours, you look down at your experience bar and wonder, “WTF? Has my experience bar even moved at all?” Nobody enjoys feeling like they haven’t made any progress even though they’ve been playing their character all day. We hate it as much as you do; it drives us insane!

Our goal with Guild Wars 2 is to flatten out the leveling curve, keeping progression simple and straightforward. We expect everyone to make a reasonable amount of progression with each play session. It shouldn’t take days of playing before you feel like you have made any progress, and you definitely shouldn’t have to kill a bunch of creatures or do a bunch of repetitive tasks just to see what’s over that next hill. We want our progression to keep up with your play style. If you’re a causal gamer who plays for a few hours here and there, why should you feel like it’s going to take you a decade to finish your character? If you’re a hardcore player, why shouldn’t you be able to blast through the game with skill and speed, trying to experience every last bit of content?

So how did we accomplish our goals, you ask? Good question! First off, we set the level cap for the game at 80, but we made the time between levels rather short. Instead of taking longer and longer to reach each level, it takes about the same time to go through each level. It’s pretty simple; if we expect you to level up every few hours, then why shouldn’t it be that way all through the game?

To better illustrate this, here’s a chart of a typical game’s leveling curve compared to the Guild Wars 2 leveling curve:

As you can see, our leveling curve is pretty simple. Now, keep in mind that we haven’t finished everything and we’re still working out a lot of the details, but progression in Guild Wars 2 is way more than just leveling. We have achievements, trait collection, crafting, dungeons, skill collection, items, and much more.

Overall, we expect our content to be the driving force behind how long it takes to do things in-game. Anyone can increase the length of an experience bar and call it content, but our world is filled with an almost endless stream of things to do. We expect content—not long, grindy progression—to be the deciding factor that keeps people playing our game. We want everyone to stick with Guild Wars 2 because our content is fun and enjoyable, not out of some dogged determination to slowly, slowly advance. And because our world is ever-changing and dynamic, you can play our content again and again! Two characters journeying through the game will have two different experiences, which means the game will remain fresh for all you out there who enjoy making a million characters.

So, if you’re tired of the size of your experience bar controlling the pace of your progression, and you’re looking for a simple, content-focused progression system with endless potential for enjoyment, Guild Wars 2 is for you.

I hope you’re as excited about progression in Guild Wars 2 as I am; it’s just one of the many awesome ways this game will challenge conventional MMO thinking.

New Odin
    BG Level

It's a good principle, but I don't see anyone playing this game as long as you would play a 'normal' MMO when there's no grind.. although that's not a big concern to ArenaNet when there's no subscription fees anyway.

Also, 20 cap was pretty great as far as PvP goes. Made it much more balanced than most games, paired with equipment having very little stats to not set off the balance. Hopefully they can find a good middleground here.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

That ranger video looks bad ass. I like how each class has different weapons that bring different abilities. I'm only slightly disappointed there's no set roles, but that prolly just means it'll be easier to group for things or soloing will be fine too.

SwaggerlikeKillquick

Seems to be what diablo could have been if they went the 3d route. A must try for me now.

Sandpaper Demon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snowman Emperor
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by SwaggerlikeKillquick View Post
    Seems to be what diablo could have been if they went the 3d route. A must try for me now.
    i mean the team that did diablo (parts of it rather) did GW so that's probably why.

gw2 is gonna be pretty awesome i think.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Takiwaki View Post
    The dragon at the end of the video was amazing, almost made me believe it wasn't in game but it was.

Very nice. Looks like something I'd pick up to play from time to time, especially with no monthly fee.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

definitely pretty interested in this

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

God damn i love the art style.

New Odin
    BG Level

I'm glad they have more race options now. The worst thing about GW's graphics were the horrible character models, easily. They seem to have this fixed now.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

From the latest video it sounds like they're building a game around WoW's phasing from wotlk, which I hated. It was cool as a player, but it ended up stagnating the world when you noticed what was actually going on. I'm on a different part of the 'zones' story as a friend, I saved the town... he didn't yet. I see him fighting invisible shit, or maybe even can't see him at all despite being in the same place since he's playing the 'rescue' part and I'm sitting in an already-saved town.

As long as they don't fuck up GvG this will still be great as it was in GW1. And who knows, maybe they have something completely revolutionary in mind instead of phasing. I just personally don't see how. Either the decisions are player-based and not everybody gets to experience the content, or they're for everybody and the world gets stagnated.

Shak-ka-kahn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Well Cel, if you read their notes on the game mechanics from earlier archives....that's not what they're doing (phasing). It'll be changing constantly for EVERYONE. Like they say, if you save the town, the town will be saved for everyone until another attack, then blah blah blah.

I'm playing aion private server atm...but guild wars 2 looks great. I just hope the camera angles in the video don't make the game seem so bland if/when we don't have the same thing in game XD.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 213 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast