+ Reply to Thread
    Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Windows 7 + FFXI Installation Trouble

Today, I upgraded to Windows 7. I'm using the original Vana'diel Collection to try installing.

Well, I finally got past the dumb polhook.dll issue by disabling the User Account Control Settings (Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts)... But it doesn't seem to be letting me actually install the game. I can install Tetra Master (yay useless) and downloaded the Vista/7 OS version of POL off the site, but still no go on the actual FFXI installation wizard. Anytime I bring up the C Drive to start it manually, it just tries downloading POL only. I've ejected and put the CD back in, but nothing happens that way. It's been a while since I've installed, but I remember a wizard coming up to install FFXI, the two expansions, and then POL separately. Am I missing something? I can actually go through the POL Viewer all the way up to the "Play" button screen, but when I click it, it just tells me it's unable to boot because FFXI is not installed (error 020). I've read Windows 7 help threads through and through and the only issues I've seen is either the polhook.dll one, the crashing on FFXI booting one (solved by booting IE up in 32 bit in the BG apparently), or Windower-related ones. Does anyone have any idea what the deal is? I was really wanting to play around in events today on my new system, but it looks like I'll be stuck on my old one until this is fixed... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Btw, there isn't actually any error message taking place preventing the installation. It's just not taking place at all.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

I ran into this exact same problem when installing on Windows 7. What I eventually found out I had to do was right-click the disc/drive and choose to Open/Explore the disc and do the game and each disc manually with the INST folders representing the game (1) and each expansion; Roz (2), CoP (3), ToAU (4). It's the same thing the menu you remember installing from does, literally, clicking to install just executes the setup.exe you find in each folder. Good luck!

Here's a picture to display what you should be seeing in general, likely not specifically:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...0090701252.jpg

No you can't see my dorky drive names and network paths.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Haha, I was just about to edit my post saying I'd done exactly that. XD Thanks a ton either way. I hope the mods leave this thread for reference in case anyone else has this problem.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

ahaha, damnit, wasted time blurring out my embarrassingly nerdy drives totally kept me from posting quickly enough. Glad you fixed it, though, seems as if this has happened to both of us then there are likely others as well.