+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BG Vet - Flea Infestation     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level

BG Vet - Flea Infestation

So between me and my roomates, we have 9 animals (5 cats, 4 dogs).

Flea's normally haven't been a problem, just apply Advantage once a month, until recently. We missed doing it the month of October, and in November and December it seemed the Advantage would be fine for a few days but then the fleas would be back in full force.

So, seems the fleas have gotten into the carpet and shit. Does anyone have a suggestion on the easiest way get rid of that? I've heard of some stuff you just spray on the carpet, it sits for an hour, and that takes care of the problem, but I don't know what it's actually called. There's also good ol' fashion bombing but I'd rather avoid that if possible, since that requires sealing up the entire house and shit.

Any help is greatly appreciated, the animals have been really suffering past couple months (We thought November was just been a fluke, and we waited until now because we want to clean the house and apply the medicine to the dogs at the same time so everything is killed in the same go). And yeah, I'm about to call my vet and hear their suggestions, but I like to get as many opinions as possible (and with how many pet owners there are on BG, I figured someone must have some obscure really effective method). Danke sehr!

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

A Flamethrower will work wonders.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Bomb the house

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I use Hartz carpet powder from petsmart, but I've never had a real flea problem. Supposedly it opens them up to being vaccuumed up and kills them. There is also a spray for fabrics and junk that claim to stop them from rolling up and die to the heat of the washer.

I have two dogs, when I adopted my second she came with a minor flea problem but it literally lasted for like two to three days we just threw out the dog beds, powdered the carpet and vacuumed, and washed the doggie clothes after using the spray mentioned above. Your case sounds a bit more intense and I'm not sure if it will be effective. Best of luck though;/

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Your biggest problem won't be getting rid of the actual mature fleas. Those are killed/removed pretty easily. As for the eggs, good luck.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Yeah I was looking at the powder for the carpet, but then I was told about De Flea, I think it's the spray I was thinking about in my OP. Supposed to be really effective and kills all stages of fleas.

So right now the plan is

1-Shampoo Carpets
    2-Spray carpets/furniture/ect with De Flea
    3-Apply Advantage
    4-Give the animals oatmeal baths to soothe their irritated skin (About a week after applying the advantage)

Though still up for other suggestions.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK FLEAS!
    1. Bathe Pets
    2. Vacum
    3. Cover capet and floor with a layer of borax or flea powder.
    4. Leave the house and set off a bug bomb in each room. Make sure all cabinets, closets, drawers and doors are open but the ones leading outside
    5. Return 5 hours later, Vacum floor and remove borax/flea powder (you can also leave the powder there for a few days, jsut keep your pets away from it)
    6. Bathe pet again
    7. Apply advantage, flea collar or whatever
    6. Wash all you laundry
    8. Frown at your pet.
    9. Clean the area where your pet rests the most.

Seriously though, bomb the house at least once a week for the next two to 3 weeks. You, you'll regret it if you don't

[edit]
    I do not use anything hartz, both of my cats had severe allergic reactions to it. Google it, and you'll find enough people with problems when it comes to hartz. Don't skimp, get the good shit.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

The Borax powder mentioned is as far as I know a fairly common flea treatment, but I've usually seen it recommended to leave on the carpets for weeks to eliminate all the flea stages of growth.

Also if you're going to be bathing them frequently because of the fleas, beware of drying their skin out as the possible scratching may appear as flea-like symptoms.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

The powder that you put on the carpet, you can't just leave it sitting there, you have to vacuum everything thoroughly after the powder sets. That stuff isn't good for people to breathe in either so don't let it sit in your carpet longer than it needs to. I think it was just called flea and tick powder you could get it easily from pet stores or places like Walmart.

Any rooms/fabrics that the pets have been in /come in contact with need to be cleaned/vacuumed/washed.

If it's bad you literally have to disinfect and clean your entire house from top to bottom. Soap and water will kill anything on your clothes or yourself. We had fleas before and it SUCKED. Especially because we later found out it came from the neighbor's pets, not ours, so the problem would keep coming back after we already did everything we could.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Stop having 9 pets.

That sounds disgusting.

Ridill
    BG Level

I would advise trying the powder first, it's going to be expensive to do a whole house, but not near as expensive as a full on deep cleaning.

With the powder you just keep it on and make sure you vacuum everything regularly.

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

i have 11 dogs, 4 cats, and several mice behind the walls

just sayin

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sirenia Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Velen

What the hell do you expect with 9 pets?

My suggestion: Get rid of the pets then bomb the place.

Go with Dr. Josef Mengele's solution, gas the house while the pets are inside

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    Bomb the house
    This is your last resort option because it's the most toxic for everyone.. but you probably won't need it. Bug bombs should be reserves for VERY extreme cases - more along the lines of a lice infestation. You should be able to get rid of the fleas without going to this extreme tho. Shampoo your carpets with stuff that's designed to kill fleas & ticks, shampoo your pets and if necessary get some prescription stuff from the vet to help everything along.

And flea collars are OUT. They're extremely toxic for your pets!

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Stop having 9 pets.

That sounds disgusting.
    I am a pet lover and I agree with this.

There's a point at which things get ridiculous.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

hello kitty skeet skeet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

you can buy months of advantage on ebay for cheap and for the house take bowls of water and dish soap and lay them out flees like the water soap kills them

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Ugh, fucking fleas... I had 'em a couple years ago in a fully carpeted place... boric acid works wonders, bathe your pets with the shampoo every single day, and keep spreading borax/letting it sit a couple hours/vacuuming it from the carpet for a couple weeks to kill off the eggs and shit. It might be harmful to cats/small dogs though... dunno, I just have one lab and she was fine with it.

But seriously, 9 mammals? Really? Ffs, stop getting pets.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You are correct: you now have flea larva and eggs in your carpet, the pet's bedding, and they will even crawl into the baseboards. Adult fleas are crawling into these nooks and crannies as well; they actually spend the majority of their time off your pet and only jump on board to feed.

So, you need a two pronged treatment: one to kill the fleas on your pets and the other to clean up the environment. The flea life cycle needs to be broken. I would change from using Advantage (as this only kills adult fleas and larva) to Frontline Plus or Revolution (as these sterilize fleas or causes the eggs not to hatch depending on the product in addition to killing the adults). Pets need to be heartworm tested before using Revolution. Your veterinarian may recommend a more frequent schedule initially for applying these products before going to monthly.

Since you own cats, DO NOT USE ANY HARTZ/HARTZ MOUNTAIN PRODUCTS or anything containing PERMETHRIN or PHENOTHRIN or ETOFENPROX. Pyrethrins and cats just don't mix well. Signs of pyrethrin toxicity in cats include drooling, tremors, and seizures. Seek veterinary attention immediately if you note any of these signs after treating a cat for fleas. (Signs can be delayed up to 24 hours.)

Using Frontline Plus or Revolution will eventually kill all the fleas in the environment given that is breaks the lifecycle. This will take a few months though. (Flea life cycle is 21 days.) You can treat the environment to speed the process. If using over-the-counter products check the label to see that it is safe to use in a household containing cats. Your veterinarian has other products available, such as Nylar which is an insect growth regulator to again help break the life cycle.

Pay special attention to treatment areas where your pets spend a lot of time (eg where they sleep). Wash all their bedding in hot water. Vacuum your house thoroughly and immediately dispose of the vacuum cleaner bag or empty the bin on a bagless vacuum cleaner. Depending on the climate where you live, you may need to consider treating your yard as well. If you live in an area that gets cold (ie cold enough to frost/snow) you can skip this step.

And one last thing... all your pets should now be treated for tapeworm and fleas spread a certain type of tape.