BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Starting over this late in the game..

I have this urge to restart another character while using a friend's to PL myself, and run myself through missions and various necessities.

The lack of personal relations is a problem though.

So to cut to the chase..

Is anyone else looking to start fresh for fun?

Probably talking to a wall here, but this game has been an addictive piece of my life for as long as it's been out. Getting banned, quitting, selling, etc has just always been a part of it for me.

I guess if anyone is serious about starting over and quickly making progression together let me know.

Otherwise, this was more of a vent. Hopefully not a waste of anyone's time.

Thanks guys.

They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha!
    BG Level

It's probably not worth it to start over if you don't have at least a few lvl 75 friends there already. The last thing you (and anyone else) want is to join some newbie LS and have to beg for help for every little thing. You're gonna be broke, and you're gonna need help with shit that 99% of the people here did 3+ years ago. Starting over on a second toon when you already have a 75 and an LS are one thing, but start completely new fucking sucks.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I'm afraid i have to agree, this late in the game it is very painful to get anything done, and most newbie lss are ussually full of retards, etc, Things like COP missions for example, most people won't want to live through ever again, i know i don't. and other things that require 2-3 pts, so unless you have like 5-6 people together on this, you'll just get frustrated more then anything, or spend hours/days shouting to get anything done.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

I've thought about this a couple times actually and I gave it a shot. I quit again at level 17 and havn't played since.

shits too hard man =( also, I dreaded getting back to where I was on my first character. He's not good by todays standards but still. Even with the nerfs they've made to missions and everything it's still too intimidating to start over... at least in my pussy eyes

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

And this is why the game will die within the next 5 years.
    It did have a good run though.

Hope I don't get banned for saying this (not that I really care anyway).

I was never involved in any account selling/buying business. My only account was started 5 years ago and I had been playing FFXI religiously 6-7 hours a day up to 9 months ago before I started to gradually cut back the hours I spent on this game. I have Maat's cap, 13/15 lv75 jobs, 18 pieces of completed salvage gears and tons of what most ppl consider "must-have" endgame gears. Still there is never a minute in my life that I have never regretted playing this game. The last time I logged in was few days ago after a 3 month break just to buy the new year lottery. I am seriously considering selling the account after SE annouce lottery results.

My advice to all ppl who are thinking of making a comeback - only play this game if you honestly have nothing else better to do in real life; if you do decide to play FFXI again, there should be plenty of ppl like me who are eager to sell their accounts. It will save you time and hassle to start over again from scratch.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

If you know absolutely no one it's going to be tough. My uncle just started playing about three or four months ago and is already moving along at a steady pace. Missions are ridiculously easy now, and as long as you have even a few friends willing to help you, there's not much you won't be able to do.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Wait for FF14.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

Quote Originally Posted by Khajit View Post
    Wait for FF14.
    ^

Its already been mentioned, but if you don't know anyone, :/

However, you did mention you can use your friend's character to PL yourself. If its on a populated server, then you might have a shot.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

After playing for about a year and a half I quit ffxi. Took about a 4 month break and then started from scratch two years ago on a server where I only knew one person who was a casual player.

I myself at first was a casual player and only cared about leveling Bst and having fun. But of course endgame called me back so I decided to get hopping on CoP and ZM. Just like my first character, I answered a shout in WG for CoP. I clicked well with the group and we all became friends. They had me join their linkshell and I got back on my feet as far as missions/quests/other.

If you really want to play, then play. Or wait for 14 like me and get in early this time around!

Gimp like a Pro!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

edit: ..............you people suck.............

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Dude were you even trying? Come on.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Hydraxis

Quote Originally Posted by Corresapolonia View Post
    edit: ..............you people suck.............
    Fucking wow, lol.

EDIT: Aww, I posted a tad to late to quote the absolute shit spew that was originally on this post, lol. Mods are quick, lol.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

FLEW TO CLOSE TO THE SUN ON WINGS OF WAX, PRINCESS

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I played the first year after NA launch and was 60 BRD when I quit. When we discussed reactivating our accounts 2 years ago, we decided we would only do it if we could get our characters back. Granted, we didn't have a whole lot, just 1 Lv37 job each plus my Lv60 job, airship passes, and 60 cooking/fishing/alchemy for me, but we both remembered how tough it was in the beginning and there was no way in hell we were going to start fresh.

My Lv60 job didn't end up helping all that much as far as money/gear goes because it was BRD. Farming Liches and Exorays for G1 items as 65ish BRD and 50 PLD was tougher than it needed to be. Even though we had each other, we still had to beg for help for a lot of things, particularly our AF quests, the Parade Gorget NM, Testimonies, etc. We were lucky enough to find a guy who helped us with almost everything on our way to 75.

CoP just came out when we quit, but we managed to finish it last year. There's tons of people that still need to do CoP missions, it's just a matter of finding them. Plus it helps if you have multiple jobs leveled.

On Levi during NA prime time, a /sea all inv 54-74 averages 12-15 people. Most of them are BLU or THF.

tldr; There's no way in hell I would start over.

imo Give it a shot, the worst that can happen is you end up not enjoying it and quitting which puts you right back to where you are now.

That being said, I am currently bored out of my mind here on ifrit and if you want a friend feel free to look me up if you start out on Ifrit.

I'll give ya some start up money/level a new job with ya.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

It all depends on what you want to get out of the game:

1. You want to play for fun, you want to enjoy the quests/dialogue/missions/cut scenes - YES, i'd start playing again.

2. You want to play to just pwrlvl yourself to 75 again to reget all the same gear again so you can camp HNM's all day long - NO, i'd avoid starting a new character

3. You want to play to pwrlvl yourself to 75 again, but then craft/enjoy the more difficult aspects of the game and rejoin a new LS and make new friends - YES, i'd start playing again.

For me, its been few and far between where gear/titles/prestige of whats been accomplished has been the driving factor. Most the time its spending time with friends, experiencing things I haven't for 2-3 years now, etc. For instance, I spent 3 hours in DoR 2 nights ago helping a pickup group with Hakutaku - talk about Hello 2004 revisited.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I think people are underestimating how hard it is. I restarted with three other friends who all restarted, and while it isn't as easy, it definitely isn't impossible.

And you'll be surprised how fast you'll at least get a social.

my first oddly enough a good portion of the people were rerolls too, I think it's happening more often than you think.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Personally the hard part isn't really getting 75s, it's the little things that took me forever to do that I'd dread...aside from CoP, that's the biggest issue, I'm having a hell of a time trying to find the time to get that done on my mule...but things like capping Enhancing Magic, getting a Swift belt, redoing all the tiny quests/OP runs, bulding fame, etc. At this point in my character's life span it's basically just level XXXjob til 75 or kill XXXmob until gear drops, but I tend to forget how long it actually took to do all the intial setup shit.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

My boyfriend and myself quit after playing from NA release in March of 2005, we deleted our characters and everything. After about a year had passed we decided we would try to get our accounts back. SE couldn't retrieve our accounts but since we still knew a few people we started completely over with new characters. Since we already had quite a few level 75 characters before, we knew how to level fast and did so with only a few difficulties. Some of the gear we had given away, and gil was given back to us even though we didn't ask for it.

We quit again for about 8 months or so, but this time didn't delete our characters but we did give away some of our gear. We decided to come back and some people were nice enough to give us back a bit of the gear.

Now we just stop playing for a few months and then start playing again as we want.

For those tl;dr folks:

To speed up the story, it is possible to start out again from scratch but if you don't know anyone.... it is not going to be easy but it is possible. Personally, if I was in your shoes after I have done everything twice... I'd wait till FF14. The community will be back, people will be playing and not be annoyed at being asked to help with missions/rank etc.

Lastly, if your determined to do it try to pick a server that has a healthy population for your time zone.

My two cents.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast