Grats on Cumberbatch getting the part. I wonder what kind of bad guy he'll be.
Hope he still does Sherlock though if there's a possibility of a new series after the current one finishes.
Grats on Cumberbatch getting the part. I wonder what kind of bad guy he'll be.
Hope he still does Sherlock though if there's a possibility of a new series after the current one finishes.
I forget, was Trelane later established as a rogue Q, or just a Q like being?
Quoted from wiki about the episode with Trelane:
Spoiler: show
I read Q-squared back in like ninth grade so my memory of it is pretty hazy.
I haven't read it since it came out either, but I got my copy of the book out and the blurb on the back is pretty interesting.
No pressure then, lol.... "But this time, when Q appears, he comes to Picard for help. Apparently another member of the Q continuum has tapped into an awesome power source that makes this being more powerful than the combined might of the entire Q continuum. This renegade Q is named Trelane - also known as the Squire of Gothos, who Captain Kirk and his crew first encountered over one hundred years ago. Q explains that, armed with this incredible power, Trelane has become unspeakably dangerous. Now Picard must get involved in an awesome struggle between super beings. And this time the stakes are not just Picard's ship, or the galaxy, or even the universe - this time the stakes are all of creation."
From today's Daily Mail:
Benedict Cumberbatch, who will have to beam his way from London to Los Angeles, and then on to Wellington, New Zealand - and back to LA again - when he stars as the number one villain in Star Trek 2. Cumberbatch will travel to LA next week after attending the War Horse royal gala on Sunday. The movie is turning into a big hit for Steven Spielberg and is bound to be Oscar nominated.
By the way, I understand it was Spielberg who recommended Cumberbatch to his colleague JJ Abrams, who will direct Star Trek 2. Cumberbatch, one of the best actors of his generation, has been given special dispensation to shoot Star Trek 2 while he’s contracted to the Hobbit film, which is shooting in NZ. He will travel backwards and forwards over the next few months, working for a few days at a time on each project.
http://geektyrant.com/storage/2011-p...contractor.jpg
http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/1/9/...announces.htmlJ.J. Abrams gave an update on Star Trek 2 at the Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour yesterday. Abrams confirmed that he will shoot on film starting January 12, and then do a 3D post-conversion during post-production. He also talked about the original TV series, and announced two new cast members.
Thanks to Collider we have some cool quotes from the discussion:
Abrams then talked a bit about why he chose to convert the film into 3D:We’re shooting on film [as opposed to digital 3D], and the reason for that is I wanted to shoot with anamorphic, and you can’t shoot 3D in anamorphic.
Abrams then stated that none of the original actors will appear totally set in the new universe created by the first movie:I did not fight for the 3D. It was something that the studio wanted to do, and I didn’t want to do it. And then, when I saw the first movie converted in sections, I thought that it actually looked really cool. So, I was okay with their doing it, as long as I could shoot the movie the way I wanted to, in anamorphic film, and then let them convert it. So, those who want to see it in 3D, which looked pretty cool, can do it, and those that want to see it in 2D can do that too.
Two new cast members have been announced - Joseph Gatt (Thor) and Nazneen Contractor (24). According to Entertainment Weekly, Contractor will star as the wife of Noel Clarke's character.I think the job of the first movie was just to establish [the universe]. I don’t want to give anything away, but I would say that the burden we had in the first movie was just existing at all. With this movie, instead of having to stand on the shoulders of the original series, we built a little bit of a platform for us, with the last movie, to tell this story.
Benedict Cumberbatch was on hand to discuss joining the cast. Here is what he had to say:
Star Trek 2 will begin filming in the next four months to meet its scheduled release date of May 17, 2013.There’s a lawyer standing here saying that I can’t say anything. I’m hugely, hugely excited and I’m very, very flattered. I’m very, very excited, but obviously I’m not here to talk about that. I will, in the future, I’m sure. I’m just getting my head around the fact that it’s happened. If you’ll forgive me, I’ll pass on that. But my headline is that I’m over the moon.
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-2...+%28%2FFilm%29
http://collider.com/jj-abrams-star-t...erview/136236/
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/01/0...tor-star-trek/
.LOS ANGELES, Jan. 14, 2012 – Paramount Pictures announced that principal photography has commenced in Los Angeles, CA on the sequel to STAR TREK from director J.J. Abrams. The film will be released on May 17, 2013 in 3D. The 2009 re-launch of the “Star Trek” franchise by Abrams was met with critical acclaim and a worldwide gross of over $385 million at the box office.
Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions present a Bad Robot Production of a J.J. Abrams Film. Returning to their posts on the Enterprise are John Cho, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, and Anton Yelchin. They are joined by new cast members Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve and Peter Weller.
Based upon “Star Trek” created by Gene Roddenberry, the film is produced by J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burk, Damon Lindelof, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci. The script was written by Alex Kurtzman & Robert Orci & Damon Lindelof.
Jeffrey Chernov, David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Paul Schwake are the executive producers. The director of photography is Dan Mindel, ASC, BSC. The production designer is Scott Chambliss. The film is edited by Maryann Brandon, A.C.E. and Mary Jo Markey, A.C.E. The costume designer is Michael Kaplan. The music is by Michael Giacchino.
http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/1/17...ek-2-role.htmlSherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch recently spoke to MTV about his upcoming role in Star Trek 2. There has been a bunch of specuation as to what type of character he would be playing since it was announced he was joining the cast of J.J. Abrams' highly-anticipated sequel. Will he be playing Khan or some other villain within the Trek universe?
According to Cumberbatch, the speculation may all be wrong. Here is what he had to say while at the Golden Globes about whether he will be playing a villain:
He went on to talk about the preparations he has been making to for the film:"I don't think we do know that, actually. That's just supposition. And that's all I'm going to say about it."
Regardless of who or what type fo character he will be, Cumberbatch states that he's been "working out nonstop," so it looks as though his part will be really physical. He goes on to say that he is having a lot of fun preparing for the part:"I started [becoming a 'Star Trek' fan] slowly, but quite genuinely, when he rebooted it with this last film," the actor said of his own "Trek" familiarity. "I have lots of friends and family, all sorts of people who've loved all of the series and all of the films. I've been introduced to it through them and now I'm going back to them and asking them questions so I can get up to speed with true Trekkies."
"[Abrams has] great ideas. It's been great fun to prep. I start [shooting] next week, which is really exciting, and I can't say any more than that."
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/167...r-trek-2.jhtml
.Paramount Pictures and leading video game publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Games Europe S.A.S. today announced the two companies have signed a deal for NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc. to co-publish and distribute the highly anticipated Star Trek video game worldwide during the first quarter of 2013 for all major home consoles and PC.
The action-packed combat game is set to launch the first quarter of 2013 prior to the May 17 th theatrical release of the next Star Trek installment from director and producer J.J. Abrams. The game, through a license with CBS Consumer Products, is based on a stand-alone storyline that continues the adventure of iconic characters Kirk and Spock as they work together to stop a legendary enemy race bent on conquering the galaxy.
“With our NAMCO BANDAI partners leading the distribution effort, we are confident that we will meet an overwhelming demand to get this exciting console experience into the hands of gamers and Star Trek fans worldwide”, commented LeeAnne Stables, Paramount Pictures Executive Vice President of Worldwide Marketing Partnerships and head of the studio’s video game unit. Stables continued, “The positive response from our initial unveiling at E3 last year was unprecedented, and we are fortunate to have the highest level of production and creative talent on our team that will bring this incredible game out to market next year.”
“ Star Trek continues to be one of the most beloved entertainment properties around the world, and NAMCO BANDAI Games Europe is extremely excited to be teaming up with Paramount Pictures to create the definitive Star Trek interactive experience,” said Olivier Comte, SVP of marketing, Sales and Publishing for NAMCO BANDAI Partners S.A.S.
Paramount unveiled the Star Trek video game in pre-alpha phase at 2011’s Electronic Entertainment Exposition (E3) and won the praise of critics including the prestigious “Most Valuable Game” awards from Official Xbox Magazine and PlayStation: The Official Magazine, and was included as one of CNN’s Top 5 Games of E3 2011 list. The Star Trek video game also won additional praise with an exclusive trailer that debuted during Sony Computer Entertainment of America’s keynote address at its annual E3 press conference.
The Star Trek video game is being developed by Ontario-based developer Digital Extremes ( Bioshock 2, Unreal Tournament, Dark Sector, The Darkness II) with production being overseen by Paramount Creative Executive Brian Miller. “Working with Paramount Pictures and Digital Extremes reinforces NAMCO BANDAI Games’ commitment of expanding its portfolio to include Triple ‘A’ Western developed games in addition to its popular and well-respected Japanese Franchises,” said Olivier Comte. “Digital Extremes’ attention to detail, and the collaboration with Paramount Pictures and the team at Bad Robot Interactive will create an authenticity that is sure to thrill Star Trek fans and gamers alike.”
The game’s original story is being penned by BAFTA award winner and God of War writer Marianne Krawczyk in collaboration with Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, writers and producers for the upcoming Star Trek film. Built from the ground up as the ultimate co-op experience, the Star Trek video game lets players control both Kirk and Spock in a sweeping journey of epic proportions across unexplored planets and enemy battleships with the latest 23 rd century weapons and gear. Kirk and Spock’s complementary personalities result in the most fully realized and varied co-op experiences for this console generation.
http://geektyrant.com/storage/2011-p...es/41456L.jpeg
Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) announced today it has entered into agreement with CBS Consumer Products to manufacture and globally market a variety of products based on the STAR TREK property beginning in 2013. The toy line will launch in support of the STAR TREK movie sequel from Paramount Pictures, which will open May 17, 2013.
Leading the product offering from Hasbro will be a line of premium KRE-OSTAR TREK building sets featuring fantastical spaceships and legendary characters from the franchise. The KRE-O STAR TREK sets will offer high-quality KRE-O bricks as well as new KREON figures in the likeness of popular characters. Among its additional new play experiences, Hasbro will also offer robust line of roleplay toys for kids and fans to act out the intergalactic saga as well as select new figures.
“The STAR TREK property is an entertainment giant known by millions across the globe and Hasbro is thrilled to be working with CBS Consumer Products to bring the franchise to life in toy form,” said John Frascotti, chief marketing officer, Hasbro, Inc. “As a global branded play company, Hasbro delivers the best properties in a variety of formats to consumers around the world. We’re excited to offer fans the opportunity to experience icons of STAR TREK in exhilarating new ways with our KRE-O building sets as well as with new roleplay items and more.”
“Hasbro and STAR TREK have always been known as innovative brands,” said Liz Kalodner, Executive Vice President and General Manager of CBS Consumer Products. “Bringing them together in this new toy line will give fans of the entire STAR TREK franchise new ways to experience the final frontier, including the first complete construction program.”
STAR TREK will mark the third major entertainment property to be featured in the KRE-O line from Hasbro. The Company successfully introduced the KRE-O brand in 2011 with building sets featuring its globally popular TRANSFORMERS characters. In 2012 Hasbro continues the KRE-O TRANSFORMERS line and is introducing KRE-O BATTLESHIP building sets based on its gaming property and upcoming live action movie BATTLESHIP, from Universal Pictures. More details about Hasbro’s STAR TREK product offerings will be announced at a later date.
Vulcan fucking nerve pinch.
http://www.cinemablend.com/images/ne...1330106215.jpg
lol'd at that expression
Those stills... so bad but so good.