+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 127 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 95 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    so apparently a super rough cut of episode 1 is floating around too, all black and white, most CG missing, etc. I don't have it, and frankly it doesn't sound worth watching, but it's out there if you want to look for it
    Yeah I just saw this pop up a few min ago. Seems like how wolverine was.

edit:

Watched it and I can say Peter Capaldi is going to be excellent.
    As far as the rough cut of the episode:

Spoiler: show

It wasn't so bad. There weren't a ton of special effects mainly the T-Rex at the beginning so it is very watchable if you don't mind black and white

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

garrusbot from trailer

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

So is it wrong for me to hope for at least one chestburster joke somewhere this season?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

So I've been thinking about how they will tie in the whole Doctor looks like Caecilius from the episode 'The Fires of Pompeii' issue.

After reading/watching the first episode the Doctor:

in his post regenerative state midway through he makes mention of his face and how it is older and has lines(wrinkles) and he asks himself why he chose this face as if he was trying to tell himself something

The trailers show The Doctor asking himself if he is a good person, and I think the reason why he "chose" that face is because he's trying to tell himself that he is a good person and to do good. If you remember, the Tenth Doctor was about to leave Caecilius and his family behind when Vesuvius exploded but he went back to save them at the last second. I think that the face of Caecilius is supposed to be a reminder to the Doctor that he has the power to do good.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

That doesn't explain

Why he also looks like the dude from Torchwood who murdered his entire family in the face of an alien threat.
    As far as I recall, Moffat was supposed to tie in both characters to this...not just the one from Doctor Who. I think Torchwood is treated as canon with Doctor Who, after all.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    That doesn't explain

Why he also looks like the dude from Torchwood who murdered his entire family in the face of an alien threat.
    As far as I recall, Moffat was supposed to tie in both characters to this...not just the one from Doctor Who. I think Torchwood is treated as canon with Doctor Who, after all.
    I'm not sure BBC really regards Torchwood as part of Who canon anymore, not since Davies took it to Starz with Miracle Day.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    That doesn't explain

It will be interesting to see if they keep their promise and explain the Frobisher connection.

Also, about the leak of scripts/episode(s). As we all know the Latin America BBC office in Miami is at fault, but how it happened is sort of laughable and sad. Now they are saying the scripts and six (yes six) episodes were stored on their server, however, they did not make the server private and google was able to crawl the server and add links to the files in google searches. So it doesn't look to be an inside job, just piss poor security measures on their server.

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

So while we wait on the new season, lets get a discussion going.

What was the first episode of Doctor Who that you watched and what were your initial thoughts about it? For me, I saw Family Of Blood in Season 3 and thought to myself "What an odd show. Wonder what the rest of it is like"

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrh_Quetz View Post
    So while we wait on the new season, lets get a discussion going.

What was the first episode of Doctor Who that you watched and what were your initial thoughts about it? For me, I saw Family Of Blood in Season 3 and thought to myself "What an odd show. Wonder what the rest of it is like"
    My first episode was A Christmas Carol almost four years ago. My girlfriend got me to watch it because she knew I would like the show. At first it was a lot to take in with the Christmas episode and I did not understand a lot of things but luckily she was there to explain things. After that episode I went back to Season 1 with the 9th Doctor and burned my way through until I got caught up and ready for season 6.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Broz Bastrum
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Dad use to watch reruns of the classics when i was young so can't really remember which episode it would of been but i do remember it was a Tom Baker one with Daleks so take your pick and since i was young i didn't really understand it but enjoyed it none the less, probably cause it was different from what i usual watched as a kid.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

After dodging whovians for what felt like an eternity I finally sat down and watched the show starting with Father's Day. After being hit with a rather predictable time travel plot and some really lame looking CGI I thought for an instant maybe this show was lame and I didn't get it.

Then I saw "The Empty Child" (are you my mummy?) and "The Doctor Dances" (Captain Jack!) which sparked real interest in the show. After going back and seeing "Dalek" I concluded that "Father's Day" was just a bad episode.

Really to get into Doctor Who you have to adopt a mentality that anything is possible, the science is whatever the plot dictates and to ignore the really 50s-ish CGI normally banished to Scyfy specials. I still can't be bothered to watch Old Who because it's dated in the same way TOS is but once I got into series 2 things really took off. Tennant really is that good.

I saw "Rose" on PBS one night following Red Dwarf. Thought it was interesting and worth staying up an extra hour most Saturdays. Eventually saw all episodes of the first three seasons over time. I missed most of season four. Tried to pick back up with five, but fell away. I'm currently watching the entire series. About halfway through five now and really enjoying catching up on everything I missed. Tennant is definitely my favorite so far, we'll see how I feel about Smith over the next couple seasons.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

"The Big Bang" (Series 5 finale) a week after it aired because my ex wanted to watch it and she was going through a rough spot and wanted company. Not sure of what to make of the show at the time. I think the pacing and the suspense kinda got me to have some bit of curiosity but I didn't have the means to watch any of it legally (yea I don't download, oh well). I think I went "Hey that's the British doctor from ER I saw so many years ago." And that was the peak of my reaction.

Didn't watch Doctor Who for another year and a half until I finally got a Netflix sub. Tennant was fun to watch compared to Smith. Maybe I liked Davies a bit more. And I think Series 6 was meh, and the first half of 7 was bleh, and so much wasted potential with Jenna-Louise Coleman to end Series 7. Some episodes she kinda disappeared despite being so awesome in The Snowmen and Asylum of the Daleks.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I think I might have caught 'Rose' out the corner of my eye, and payed attention for five seconds because of Eccleston, but then I went on with my night.

But what really got me hooked was 'Blink.' I won't say anything else--if you've seen 'Blink,' you know why that was all it took for me.

Now, despite Nine being my favorite, any time I want to turn someone on to the series, that's the episode I start them on.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

First episode we watched was Rose. My wife still prefers Christopher Eccleston's Doctor to anyone else's. I'm personally more partial to David Tennant. Blink obviously is up there as one of my favorite episodes. Stolen Earth and Journey's End are probably my two favorite episodes. Honestly I like all of them. We haven't watched any of the Matt Smith episodes yet. We need to get on the ball lol.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I never watched DW at all until one day I decided it was time. Everyone around me had seen at least some episodes of it and had their own opinions on it and I felt a bit left out. I started with the first ep of the first series, "Rose", and instantly fell in love with it - really hard. Of the new series, Rose ended up being my fav companion and 10 my fav Doctor. The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances is my favorite story/couple of episodes because of the creep factor, how well everything ties up and the introduction of Jack, whom I really like.

School Reunion, The Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, Midnight, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, The Doctor's Wife and Vincent and the Doctor are other great episodes for me. I guess I tend to like the creepy ones when Davies was showrunner - Moffat has his moments, but I think he's been a pretty bad showrunner for DW so far. He writes brilliant episodes as long as someone else is there to keep him in check, I guess. I'm looking to the Capaldi era for the Moff to turn it all around and make it great again, instead of just good.

I've been watching Classic Who but there are so many episodes and so many reconstructions of missing ones that it's very hard to get through. Still, I find the First Doctor hilarious, and Ian and Barbara aren't horrible as companions (unlike Susan, hahahahahaha never come back)

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

The Van Gogh episode was my first. Easy to see why I fell in love right away with the show and watched previous seasons.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I'm a big fan of the Christopher Eccleston series too but David Tennant was pretty amazing.

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I started with "Rose" because my old roommate used to watch the classic who and was losing his mind there was a new series, so we started from the beginning of the new.

Favorites:
    "Blink"
    "Silence in the Library" - ESPECIALLY after watching Matt Smith run, its crazy to watch now but it was fun the first time, too.
    "A Good Man Goes to War" - Because Rory fucking Williams, thats why.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    Ok so I curiosity got the better of me and I skimmed through the first episode script and I can say that Capaldi will be awesome.
    The first ep, and I've heard the 2nd, were more than just the script leaked. I've seen the first, and yeah he is pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    so apparently a super rough cut of episode 1 is floating around too, all black and white, most CG missing, etc. I don't have it, and frankly it doesn't sound worth watching, but it's out there if you want to look for it
    The CG is unfinished, but there's not much there and most is really just...not even a side plot. It's definitely worth watching.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag