+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ie-rist-302060

Perhaps seizing on the notion that moviegoers are willing to pay hundreds of millions of dollars to see Michael Bay's films, while maintaining a deep contempt for his storytelling process and heavy use of exploding computer graphics, the internet was set ablaze Monday, with blogs and major media outlets slamming the filmmaker's announcement concerning the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and telling tales of fan outrage.
    our editor recommends

“When you see this movie, kids are going to believe, one day, that these turtles actually do exist when [we] are done with this movie," Bay said about his upcoming series reboot during a presentation at the Nickelodon upfronts. "These turtles are from an alien race and they are going to be tough, edgy, funny and completely lovable."
    Outrage boiled over, leading Bay to issue a terse response on a website he often uses to make announcements.

"Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script," he wrote. "Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world."

It's going to take some heavy convincing, though, because outlets and select social media-using turtle diehards whipped up a severe indignancy at the mere thought of altering the origin story of the pizza-loving, crime fighting mutant turtles that were such a cultural phenomenon in the 1980s and early 90s. Various outlets reported that, based on some tweets and Reddit threads, fans were in up in arms, including Entertainment Weekly, Washington Post and the AV Club.
    The Guardian went straight for the jugular, contrasting the implausibility of an alien origin with the well-accepted ooze-induced transformation.
    "Making the turtles aliens would ruin everything – their desire to be accepted, their bizarre late-1980s street lingo, their fondness for pizza. Everything," the paper argued. "Are we really meant to believe that there's an alien race of giant turtles who just happen to all be named after renowned Renaissance artists from this planet, and speak English, and who came to Earth with a giant elderly rat who's presumably from the same race, just to live in sewers and loudly eschew anchovies at every opportunity? Hardly, Michael Bay. Hardly."

It's a national scandal, and Turtlegate got more ammunition when the man who voiced the orange masked, pizza-loving Michelangelo got invovled.

"You probably don’t know me but I did some voice work on the first set of movies that you are starting to talk about sodomizing," Robbie Riss wrote in a letter to Bay that he posted online (via TMZ). "I know believing in mutated talking turtles is kinda silly to begin with but am I supposed to be led to believe there are ninjas from another planet? The rape of our childhood memories continues."

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Micha...Out-30049.html

We heard you guys loud and clear when we wrote yesterday about Michael Bay's suggestion that the turtles in the upcoming movie he's producing will be teenage ninjas, but not mutants-- they'll be aliens. Comments ranging from "Don't ruin my childhood" to "Michael Bay needs to die already" popped up suggesting that if anyone is going to tweak with the classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles formula, it shouldn't be Bay. He's not directing the upcoming live-action Turtles film, just producing it through his company Platinum Dunes, but by giving that speech on behalf of Nickelodeon, Bay seems to be establishing himself as the face of the project-- and a face that the fans really just want to punch.

But Michael Bay is used to people being mad at him, particularly people on the Internet, and he's responded to all this criticism with a pretty typical, blase and slightly condescending attitude. On his own forums Shoot For The Edit, Bay had this to say to the outraged Turtles fans:

Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world.
    What's not explained here at all, of course, is how building up the original world of the Turtles involves them being aliens, not regular turtles mutated by a toxic ooze. Something tells me that when he says "expand" he means "change for my own purposes." On some level, sure, he's entitled to do that-- he's a successful filmmaker who clearly knows what audiences want to see, and it's not like changing the origin of the Turtles changes their entire story. And yet, he's still not giving a convincing argument for why the change needs to be made at all.

A few posts down from Bay's comment in the forum is the promise, "Michael, I trusted you with Transformers, I trust you with this." For a lot of us, that might be the problem-- the Transformers movies were frequently garish, loud, and aggressively dumb, while the original Turtles series could be clever and all the right kinds of weird. Even if you did trust Bay with the Transformers, do you really want to see him give the Ninja Turtles the same treatment?

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

""Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script," he wrote. "Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world."

How can this even be a possibility if they're ALIENS.

Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

2012 is really gonna be the end of the world, because we are going to blow it up before this movie ever comes out. The universe will be better off.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    2012 is really gonna be the end of the world, because we are going to blow it up before this movie ever comes out. The universe will be better off.
    would one say...a richer universe?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Michael Bay's Teenage Alien Ninja Turtles, woohoo!

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

could be worse lol. at least its no teenage mutant alien fighters from beverly hills lol. I know damn well someone has heard of that abomination of a show.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Main character will probably be some teen with a possible love interest named April. The 'aliens' will meet the main character and do some stupid shit and try to get him the girl. All with a blue and orange contrast to match the poster.

Oh and

Lol, Transformers you can tweak and fuck around with a bit. But TMNT, don't fuck with that shit. There have been to many childhood memories, movies, games for you to fuck with it to that extent.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm pirating ta fuck out of this movie when it comes out.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

badassoverhere.jpg

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

He's also going to fuck Thundercats

http://www.theonion.com/articles/mic...ndercats,2702/

Onion News...nuff said

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

After ThunderCats, onward to BraveStarr.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nekonaruto View Post
    Onion News...nuff said
    sssshhhhh dont tell anyobne

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Another movie based on an 80s/90s IP, another chance for me to wonder why the fuck someone cares about a reinterpretation of a cartoon they liked 15+ years ago.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Alleya View Post
    Another movie based on an 80s/90s IP, another chance for me to wonder why the fuck someone cares about a reinterpretation of a cartoon they liked 15+ years ago.
    Because when the new movie comes out the old ones vanish off your shelves.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Battletoads/Double Dragon film would be epic, but not with Michael Bay.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Michael Bay would do a great Sonic movie.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Alleya View Post
    It was a comic book first, people have been pissed about shitty movies based on this stuff for years. It isn't new to not like this kind of thing.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by FNH View Post
    It was a comic book first, people have been pissed about shitty movies based on this stuff for years. It isn't new to not like this kind of thing.
    Yeah. Dunno how my "time and time again" comment gave you the impression that I thought it was new, but okay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast