+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 60 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 ... LastLast
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level

You're in for a treat with the 2011 Blops, I recently cracked one of my bottles and it is very very lovely. That Bourbon Smoking Wood is fantastic, I enjoyed it with a nice Cohiba and it was thoroughly enjoyed.
    I've got a power house draft line up for my friends beach party this weekend. We're running a 4 tap cold plate system with Evil Twin's Sour Bikini (Sour pale ale), Grimm's Rainbow Dome (Apricot Farmhouse style ale) Carton's Boat Beer (Session IPA kegged this past Saturday) and Bell's Oberon. All that on top of my recently picked up Tree House beers and I should have a fantastic weekend.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    I could really go for that Raspberry Berliner Weisse.
    I still have half a case left of each flavor. Not sure if/what rules there are on BG for beer trades. lol

Going back to my hometown Labor Day weekend for my buddy's annual beerfest. This year the theme is sours; I'm taking 2 cases of beer to share. I'll be sure to post pictures of the bottle graveyard; he has buddies come from all over the country.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Anybody here ever play the ps2/xbox game "The Bard's Tale"? Gotta love the drunks and their song, "Beer Beer Beer".

Most of the beers you guys have listed, I've never been able to try. I'm not much of a drinker though. It's only the 16+ hour workdays that make me feel the need for one. My picks (depending on what I feel I need) are:
    Mission Dark Seas Russian Imperial Stout - Tastes of Russian Imperial Glory. Be prepared for flavor. I had about 2mm of it left in my glass. Could not see the light of my phone from the bottom of it.

Oak Creek Nut Brown Ale - Pretty standard when it comes to non-watery crap beer. I remember a hint of sweetness to it. Totally not like New Castle though. Definitely recommend giving it a try.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Another one with a good amount of flavor. Nowhere near as harsh as the Russian Imperial Stout. It was my favorite for a long while before I started trying things outside of the NASCAR beers.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Four Peaks Kilt Lifter Scottish Ale - I consider these beers "light" after my love of the stout, but they're still good, especially with some buffalo wings. Pretty much any pale ale go with buffalo wings actually.

Weihenstephaner's ~anything~ - They make several different types. Easily one of my favorite breweries. One would hope they know how to make good beer with them having been established in the year 1040... and German.

Quote Originally Posted by Auspice View Post
    I still have half a case left of each flavor. Not sure if/what rules there are on BG for beer trades. lol

Going back to my hometown Labor Day weekend for my buddy's annual beerfest. This year the theme is sours; I'm taking 2 cases of beer to share. I'll be sure to post pictures of the bottle graveyard; he has buddies come from all over the country.
    I think I missed this But where I currently am there isn't really much worth trading, unfortunately. All of what I've posted here I've picked up on trips

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I could really go for that Raspberry Berliner Weisse.

I recently bought a bottle of the Bruery's Bourbon Barrel Aged Smoking Wood.

http://cdn.beeradvocate.com/im/beers/79538.jpg
    I've had their Whiskey Barrel aged Smoking Wood, but this one has been harder to find. I'll be drinking this one in a couple months - probably around Thanksgiving.

Also, I'm really excited that I found a bottle of the Bruery's - Bois and I'll be aging this for a good 2 years. It is my not-so-great contribution to a power-lineup me and a couple friends will eventually do. One friend is supplying a 3 Floyds Brewing - Dark Lord from (I think)2013, and another friend is supplying 2 Brooklyn Brewery's - Black Ops one of which is from 2011 and the other is from 2012.

Fun little tip; If you blend that Bois and the Smoking Wood it develops into something truly beautiful. I did a cuvee with my last bottles of each and it was delicious stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Fun little tip; If you blend that Bois and the Smoking Wood it develops into something truly beautiful. I did a cuvee with my last bottles of each and it was delicious stuff.
    If I find another Bois then I will do it, but they retired it so chances are low

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I think I missed this But where I currently am there isn't really much worth trading, unfortunately. All of what I've posted here I've picked up on trips
    You underestimate my insane beer cellar; much to my wife's chagrin, I have over 700 bottles >_<

Any of you guys like Ommegang and Game of Thrones? Looks like they finally caved and re-brewed the Iron Throne blonde and Take the Black stout and are releasing them in a gift set with a glass. I wonder if they'll still do a new beer for the season premiere next year.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

They're done (as of now) with the GoT beers last I talked to the guys from Ommegang.
    700 bottles huh? Nice! Any particular favorites in there?
    I've spent months wittling down/trading my cellar away so I'm down to a measly 600 something bottles and a few kegs.

Quote Originally Posted by Auspice View Post
    You underestimate my insane beer cellar; much to my wife's chagrin, I have over 700 bottles >_<

Any of you guys like Ommegang and Game of Thrones? Looks like they finally caved and re-brewed the Iron Throne blonde and Take the Black stout and are releasing them in a gift set with a glass. I wonder if they'll still do a new beer for the season premiere next year.
    One of my friends collected beer all through college and after we all graduated the plan was to drink all of it. Well, we ended up drinking maybe 1/4 of it, lol. All told, he spent close to 5 grand on it, which is probably where your collection is at. That is where the 2 Brooklyn Brewery Black Ops came from, actually. He has since mostly stopped drinking and gave the rest of his collection to me with the only real stipulation being that a few select beers (like the Black Ops) he has to be present for. Unfortunately I wouldn't feel right trading a lot of those since they were gifts :\

As far as the Ommegang GoT beers, I heard the Take the Black stout was decent, but that is really the only one I've heard anything beyond a "Ehhhh..." response. I'll have to look out for it since I never had a chance to pick it up. Didn't feel like bothering with it he first time around because it's a gimmick beer

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

So I've made mention I'm a huge stout fan. Easily my favorite style. While of course it's darn near impossible to try them all I've about tried all that's available at my local stores (except for the super duper expensive ones). I recently got the last bottle of Bell's 30th Anniversary Imperial Stout. It was good. My all time favorite has been Dark Horse Plead The 5th or Founder's Imperial Stout. That all has changed and the crazy part is a $10.99/6pk knocked them off. I'm talking about Roak (Royal Oak Brewing) Devil Dog Oatmeal Stout. 8.5% and it just has this taste that for me personally is the best. If you have the chance give this one a shot!

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    So I've made mention I'm a huge stout fan. Easily my favorite style. While of course it's darn near impossible to try them all I've about tried all that's available at my local stores (except for the super duper expensive ones). I recently got the last bottle of Bell's 30th Anniversary Imperial Stout. It was good. My all time favorite has been Dark Horse Plead The 5th or Founder's Imperial Stout. That all has changed and the crazy part is a $10.99/6pk knocked them off. I'm talking about Roak (Royal Oak Brewing) Devil Dog Oatmeal Stout. 8.5% and it just has this taste that for me personally is the best. If you have the chance give this one a shot!
    I'll definitely have to check those out whenever I go on a proper non-grocery store beer run. Thanks!

I just wish I had friends that liked beer outside of the standard stuff, except that guy that does IPA's. I gave those a shot. I'd rather eat my own earwax than drink an IPA. Tastes about the same either way.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I'd call the whole Ommegang GoT series pretty average; none of them are bad but they aren't outstanding.

As far as crazy stuff in my cellar; I don't know. I have a semi-vertical of 120 minute all the way back to 2006. I also have the 1st batch of Avery's wild series from 2009. According to my spreadsheet I have 101 different styles of beer from 159 breweries so there is plenty of depth and breadth in there. A large chunk of it are sours and other random one off bombers that I absolutely refuse to drink by myself.

I have a huge problem in that I get more enjoyment out of sharing beers with friends than I do sitting at the house and sipping on them by myself. It's a terrible problem actually since I moved nearly 500 miles away from the place I grew up in and don't have any reliable craft beer nerd friends where I am now. It's getting to the point that I literally take CASES of beer back to my hometown to share with friends and then somehow try to cram months worth of drinking and catching up into short trips home; it's not successful. I usually end up leaving a bunch of beer at buddy's houses with the promise to drink them next time until I do the same thing and bring cases back the next time I come to town. It's a vicious cycle.

Bells just started distributing in Maryland and they didn't drop off any of the 30th anniversary; it sounded fucking fantastic. I really miss Bells/Founders/New Holland/Great Lakes and the myriad of other midwest breweries I used to get back in Ohio. It's a pain to travel to other states to pick up limited release stuff. Hell, I only ended up getting Saturn and Neptune in their planet series. :/

When did and how limited is the 30th anniversary stuff? I may be heading to PA next week, just wondering what my chances would be of actually seeing it anywhere.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure about how much they produced. In the one article I read it was said to be sold in 6 packs and on draught. My local place that had it was selling it in singles for $4 and had it for less than a week. I haven't bothered to check anywhere else because Roak Devil Dog is my go to now. At least you got the Saturn!! That was amazing. That Neptune though...I literally had to choke it down. Tasted like they dumped a pound of pepper in the bottles I got.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

http://bucket.bluegartr.com/aba70e9b...db7aa784f7.jpg

I tried Zombie Monkie last night. It's a porter that has a rough flavor on the first sip, but the creamy aftertaste makes up for it and helps the rest of it to be drinkable. Much better than the novelty flavor I was expecting when I purchased it.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Vince & Joe's grocery store in Michigan is selling Founder's Breakfast Stout for $8.99. Had to resist buying it all......

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

They changed the label up there what in the actual fuck. (Although the label change is hilarious) Was just in Grand Rapids. Bought as much as I could drink while I was there. I want to move there holy shit the beer.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Yeah GR is pretty live when it comes to beer. The Detroit area is getting great too. Atwater, Dragonmead, ROAK, Griffin Claw, and there may be some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    They changed the label up there what in the actual fuck. (Although the label change is hilarious) Was just in Grand Rapids. Bought as much as I could drink while I was there. I want to move there holy shit the beer.
    lol, unless you moved, you live in a city with over 30 Breweries just in the immediate area, and a plethora more in the immediate surrounding area

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Dark Horse Plead The 5th is now available. Very very happy!

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Maryland finally got Dogfish Head's Higher Math. I could have driven 90 minutes to the brewery a month ago to get it but I wanted to support my local bottle shops. I hear it's amazing, got one chilling in the fridge now.